Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Epp cam on stock 98 motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Epp cam on stock 98 motor

Hi everyone. I have a 98 corvette with the stock heads on it. I plan on adding the epp blower cam since I plan on doing a supercharger in the future. Now from what I read the 98's don't have very good heads. Is it worth putting a set of stock 243 heads with upgraded springs and retainers or is the power difference minimal to were it's not worth the hassle and added cost? I'm going to run the cam n/a for a few months. End goal is 600whp through an a4 and pump gas and meth on a safe tune. I already have long tubes and exhaust.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The 243 will indeed make more power, but with your goal of 600 rwhp I'd look for a good set of used aftermarket heads that have even better flow numbers that what the 243's provide. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 03-31-2017, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would guess you have 806's on it now for heads? On a 5.7 motor, and considering your power goal, I like ported 243 or even 317s if your going forced induction. Yes aftermarket heads are better but they burn up more of the budget. If you were going to do a stroker or something like that then the aftermarket heads are more of a requirement. It kind of depends what you can find and for what price. If you can find a deal on AFR or TFS I'd pick them up, but I don't ever seem to find deals on the good stuff. You can make up for inferior heads to some extent with more boost. I almost always have my head guy go through any used heads I buy and check the quality of the seats, the condition of the guides, and replace the springs. So I usually budget a little extra for this. That way when I bolt them on I should be good for a while.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

I use some hand ported 806 heads on my turbo truck. They're plenty capable if worked over, but then the question is why would you work over inferior heads? odd ball valve covers and coils make them kinda obscure.

there were some tax season deals on getting heads CNC ported though some of our sponsors for like $1000

Quick Reply: Epp cam on stock 98 motor