Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Power Adder advice...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 04:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power Adder advice...

Ok, so my car has been apart for a long time now and its coming together slowly, I've since got a divorce from beginning of build to now I'm focusing more on the car when I can afford to

What makes for the all around best Power adder for a Drivers car, mind you I have built this to be a track day fun ride too, its got a Jakes built 4l80 with his D3 Transbrake and Billet triple 3600 stall converter, Fab9 with 3.89 gears and planning 28in 275 DR's, Vintage Air for hot days and so far the LS3 has a Cam Motion stick, deletes and upgraded Valve springs, Lifters, Tunions and Timing set.... American Racing Stainless 1 7/8 Longtubes... I'm tossing thowing some boost at this and keeping the power down to say 650ish RWHP until I can get a Solidly built Shortblock ready and then slowly pushing the envelope on this stock block.... Oh using the Holley EFi for the motor and trans I think with a safe tune and E85 I should be good for loads of fun....

Now what to choose from, since I've bought long tubes already, I'm leaning Supercharger, yet it gets HOT here at times, my last SC car had a Paxton Novi 1500 and I only ran 11psi and it had noticeable heat soak at times of repeated running especially when hot outside... that was 91 pump gas only too.... just a crappy setup and not dedicated standalone or tune...

So Procharger / Vortech say D1x or V7 Ysi
Whipple , Magnuson 2650/2300?
Turbo single or twins lots of Fab work

All going into a 72 Monte

What have you all owned and what do you recommend?
650ish RWHP to start on stock motor, then say 900 RWHP or whatever seems like more than I really need for most situations! Like I really know what I'll want after this all comes to life...LMAO
Old 04-04-2017, 06:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If 650whp go D1SC.

If 900whp, then go turbo. If you want belt driven then go with a bigger model procharger, but thats about where you start battling serious belt slipping issues (at least what many people I know and customer cars I have tuned have said...not myself, I'm a turbo guy so I wouldn't personally know)
Old 04-04-2017, 10:50 AM
8 Second Club

Received 677 Likes on 500 Posts

Go with the parts you’ll use to make your final power goal from the start. Sell the headers, grab some nice stock manifolds. (corvette SS manifolds are nice.) Make the turbo kit and be done with it. Don’t need to be fancy or spend alot of money on a 900hp goal LS3.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like forcefed86 said, whatever you buy now make sure it fits your end goal so your not throwing money away like I have so many times. Build a fuel system and injectors that can handle 1000+ on e85. Turbos are your best bang for the buck and easily adjustable for power. Single or twins is up to you. I went twins because they look sweet as hell! Lol. I've been down the procharger road starting with a d1sc then f1a and f1c. I was always disappointed in belt problems, lack of power, awful customer service thru procharger and insane prices for there stuff and repairs. Buy once, buy right!
Old 04-04-2017, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Roastin240, I am taking this advice to heart and the more I speak to people who are driving what I'm dreaming of having, Turbo seems the way to go, even though it requires Fab work and lots of fitting and making the end result So worth the effort...
*Forcefed86 simple and to the point, I really need to learn to live closer to that, I have the stock manifolds and I never even considered using them, wasn't in my thought they would support the power, yet initially I was just planning to be NA for a year then build something, gathering parts for the Ultimate FI supporting parts...
*lmt0705 you have helped with all my challenges and after talking with others in the know, I keep hearing the same result, belt driven is Good, yet Turbo's always seem to shine and simply turn out with less hassle, I have the supporting components outside of a Forged Motor, for the power I want to make, well not quite on E85, my fuel pumps are good for around 980 flywheel and 1300+ on Racefuel... Aeromotive Dual 340lph in-tank fuel pump... could have gone better, yet it should get me to where I want to go...

Thanks for the reply's always good to hear from those who have built the power I am looking make soon
Old 04-04-2017, 12:43 PM
8 Second Club

Received 677 Likes on 500 Posts

These are the crappo truck stock manifolds. (Least desirable around) 2" mild steel piping, with Ebay 38mm gates on a T4 turbo. Made roughly 1000 crank hp with these on a 5.3 and on 6.0 (370"). I'd suggest 2.25" piping on an LS3. But literally had the turbo kit made in an afternoon. Doesn't take much. Make it out of some 14g SS and it will last a LONG time. I've had zero issues with the 16g mild steel over the years on several cars.

Name:  CAM00604_zps7uxavzdv.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  82.9 KB

Last edited by Forcefed86; 04-04-2017 at 01:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Power Adder advice...