Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boosted, stock oil pan and millings high volume, any issues sucking pan dry?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Halsey
I think the cam bearing spun from lack of oil and that caused it to walk out.
This is the 3rd engine I have had in this car. First 2 were stock pumps (with very low idle pressures) and I beat on them like they owed me money and everything looked like new when I tore them down. This one I decide to try the melling and it lasts fine driving around on the street and no high rpm running for extended periods. First couple pulls on the dyno and its a done!
Im no expert, but for me, I will not have another HV pump on my engines!
What cam, cam clearances and oil wt in previous motors?
Old 04-20-2017, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roastin240
Can you provide more details and/or pictures of the pan relief as well as the barbell?

I tend to get a little obsessed with crankcase ventilation and have built multiple iterations on many platforms with some minor and great success on others. I designed and built 2 catch cans for my setup. Water jet cut the baffles, and hand TIG welded it together. It catches quite a bit. I need to put a pressure gauge off the crankcase and duct tape it to the windshield and make some pulls to see where its at.

What vacuum pump do you use? I do not want a mechanical vacuum pump, but would be very interested in an electric DC driven pump that I could either control with variable voltage or high frequency PWM using an external frequency module that increases megasquirts frequency output channel from the low 100-150 Hz up an order of magnitude to around 1000 Hz. This reduces heat rejection and is a nice way to do variable fuel pump control. It would be neat to use a pressure transducer off the valley cover as feedback to control pump speed with either of those methods I mentioned (which would control to a target crankcase pressure under all operating conditions). I just have no feel for whats available and what flow rates can be realized with one as well as what current it would draw. Anyone?
I run the GZ motor sports pump, iirc it's the vp102. I've tried an electric smog pump from a mustang one time and I logged very little increase in crank case vacuum. The mechanical pump will pull 3-4 inches while in cruise and 10 inches under 30psi of boost on my 2j motor. Still dialing in the LS vacuum but sitting at 0 inches at 20psi currently

I didn't like the restriction the bar bell poses. I know it's not a huge deal, but I'm all about oil flow to help reduce pressure drops across the system. So it was the barbell, and the 8 or so 90* machines corners the oil has to make before finally entering the engine

So I adapted the front 16mm port on the block from the pump to -8orb and ran -10 hose to a filter setup where the motor mount is, and feed the block at the rear 16mm port that I tapped out to 3/8. I then plugged the oil passage that runs front to back, so the oil pan fittings are no longer used

To feed my turbo, I adapted the valley cover oil port to a -6 hose and mounted a short pc of fuel rail on the firewall that holds my pressure sender and turbo feed
Old 04-20-2017, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chasing pressure

Ok as far as my understanding of this whole pain on the back issue as I myself have had to deal with is that the whole sucking pan dry is a myth and this was per tech support. I am ruining the same pump and outside of big flux in pressure have not had major issues. This is what ended up being my problem I went through hundreds of dollars in filters and oil thick thin convent and synth. Cold start up 44 idle 65 loaded once warm then the up and down and on a pass almost nothing to the point of making me sick. I have ls7 lifters and being 6spd was dod deleted from factory being said some how I managed to tweak one of the orings on bottom of plate and being all motors dod or not are provisioned for it was bleading of through one of the dod lifter holes now motor installed drilling and taping for plug isn't bright idea but using blind rivits new seals and problem solved same pump pan and spring minus the extra qt.. hope this helps

Quick Reply: Boosted, stock oil pan and millings high volume, any issues sucking pan dry?