Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Gen III 5.3L + boost + high rev = questions!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Gotta tell you, one of the best-running setups I had was a basically stock 120k Gen III 5.3, except for the LS6 cam and LS6 springs (which are considered not to be enough) and with an s475 t4/83mm turbine, it has run 136mph in my 96 Mustang. This was at 16psi and less than 6000 rpms. Back for the buck this was probably the most cost-effective setup I had used. With e85 and a couple more lbs of boost I think it was a 140mph+ car.

Point is I'm not sure all that rpm is necessary.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^I agree with you above that its a stout setup for 1/4 use but drifting is a whole different monster. The motors spend prolonged periods of time at higher RPMS such as OP noted, staying in 3rd through out most of the track at or close to the set limiter. The RPMS that most drifters live at would typically require some valvetrain updates. Many of the import motors used such as Sr20 & 2jz live at around 8K+ rpm without much concern. Hence why I noted to the OP that if he is trying to get near those RPMS some work and cost is inevitable to keep an LSx based motor up that high. My suggestion that you do not typically need 7k+ RPMS on these motors for drifting as the power band between imports and these motors are night and day.

My 2J setup with a GSC S2 cam used to make power to and was able to hang out at 8200 RPM without too much concern. MY LS1 setup with an off the shelf small cam was a beast in mid-high range (6900 RPM). Two very different power bands and power levels but the LS1 would toss around the car without any effort even at mid to low range RPM.

Now unfortunately I do not have much information to offer for a high revving LS as I have seen most keep the RPMs in the 6500-7200 RPM range with few living in the 8k RPM range.

Last edited by 2muchboostNY; 04-21-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:08 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SupaDoopa
You're not really listening. I'm telling you I need it to be able to handle that type of abuse. I didn't say it's going to sit against the limiter from the second the key is turned for hours on in. I'm telling you that I want something that's CAPABLE of being beat on. I've said it a few times. Not sure why you're stuck on the 'rev limiter' part of the statement.
Engine RPM has nothing to do with speed, or spinning tires, it ONLY allows a rate of change at the flywheel to be observed as acceleration at the tire (or flywheel, or input shaft, etc). Instantaneous rate of change of RPM Is the derivative of the variable Engine RPM, which by itself is meaningless in terms of performance. Wanting "8000rpm" or "15000rpm" doesn't tell you anything about the performance, or speed of the vehicle, it only defines materials science (parts required).

Abuse is a misnomer- define abuse? There are many ways to abuse an engine, like pouring sand into one (driving it in sandy environments is a real abuse). You have to pick and choose the poisons (sand, temperature, power, load, etc) And then compensate for them somehow. You aren't listening to anybody here trying to explain that RPM isn't necessary, it has no bearing on speed or spinning tires. If you find yourself running out of gear while accelerating then you adjust the rear gear to compensate. You can go up or down- how often do you use sixth gear? Or fifth? They sit completely un-used and you complain about third? If third isn't cutting it, you go down numerically on the rear and now it does. If that makes the car a dog through 1st and 2nd, you go up numerically and use fourth instead of third through the track. That is the whole point of having a transmission.

It sounds like a dream, and I think if you actually attempt what you think you want, you will find out the hard way. Spending thousands on a 'built engine' does not mean it will be 'bullet proof' and more often than not it is the built engines which fail prematurely for various reasons.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,490 Likes on 930 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

As they have always said "fast, reliable, cheap.....pick two"

All the references to drag racing combinations in this thread are useless. Drag racing takes ten seconds...drifting sessions are 10 minutes? 15? A stockish engine isn't going to survive in that sort of environment sitting on a 7500rpm limiter...and on boost...

Andrew
Old 05-01-2017, 07:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

kingtalOn always finds a way to say very little in so many words. lmao
Old 05-04-2017, 12:29 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by roastin240
kingtalOn always finds a way to say very little in so many words. lmao

If I just type the answer and no explanation it does not teach anything. When you read a book to learn a subject you expect more than just the solutions, you expect the method, the proof of math formulas that lead to the solutions.

More words is not a problem if you enjoy reading.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:44 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't bother "building" it. Just spend money on good springs and pushrods if you want to spin it. A gen-4 4.8L rotating ***. will allow it to spin at 7000rpm all day long with minimal fuss. But in the end it is completely unnecessary, the 5.3 will happily churn out usable torque for anything from 3000rpm to 5500rpm and hang at 5500 bouncing on whatever limiter you want to use for hours on end. No need to wind the **** out of it...doesn't like it, doesn't need it. Pushrod valve train doesn't like high rpm without a butt load of money and constant upkeep. Springs will need changing often.

Mild cam, 5500 and you will make grunt for days with no issues on an SBE (ps: return the ARP stuff, waste of money.)

Jon.

Last edited by MyBonnieLS; 05-05-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
If I just type the answer and no explanation it does not teach anything.

Quick Reply: Gen III 5.3L + boost + high rev = questions!