Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Blower/Larger Cam Timing Theory with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 11:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Default Blower/Larger Cam Timing Theory with Pics

Being new to the supercharger realm, I'm still dialing in my timing on the car as time allows. I am NOT looking for a blanket statement about hypothetically how much timing the car should take, etc. This is more of a sanity check to my thought process. You can see my build thread here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...w-turbo-s.html

Cliff notes of the current setup:
2000 SBE
Futral F13 cam (230/230 114)
Yank 3600 stall
3.23 gears
D1SC with 4" pulley and front mount intercooler kit- makes 6-8 psi depending on rpm and belt slip
60# injectors
Here is the dyno of the car when it was NA from the previous owner

I switched to SE 1 7/8" long tubes and Y pipe and fabbed up the D1SC kit with front mount. I also added ls9 head gaskets and head studs. This is a strictly 92/93 octane 100% streetcar setup that will go to the track on rare occasions. My PE starts at 12.4 at idle and ramps down to 11.2 by 4000 rpms. Here is my spark table.

Spark Table

Keep in mind the entire tune is scaled 30% so as not to max the MAF. The car drives amazingly well and does exactly what I tell it to, so not going to argue about ditching the MAF or loss of resolution when scaling the tune.

Anyways, I was running 12 degrees of timing from ~3000 to redline. I start pulling timing at any IAT 122* or up. I just bumped it up to 14* from 5k and up, keeping it at 12* from 4-5k since the cars peak torque is around 4800. I plan to log and check the plugs again of course. My thought is that between the larger cam, which moves the RPM band up significantly from stock, and the blower which does the same thing, 14* at 6-8 psi with a centrifugal blower setup should be plenty safe and may even have the ability to increase the timing. From my logs at 12*, the car is moving around 70#/min of air so its making good power, but 12* felt like it was super safe. If it was a turbo setup I'd be more inclined to think I was closer to the edge. SO, is my thought process sane?

Last edited by ddnspider; 04-17-2017 at 02:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Blower/Larger Cam Timing Theory with Pics