Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Budget running thin , need help on cheaper stuff that flat out works !

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget running thin , need help on cheaper stuff that flat out works !

I'm mid way through my 2004 gto build , and my wallet is running thin and need to score some budget stuff that will get the job done .
Suspension and tires are squared away , transmission and converter are also squared away . I recently bought a brand new huronspeed v3 twin kit, and picked up a new Tig machine . My intentions are to modify the hot side and get the turbos out behind the headlights . Here's where the build stalls. I need a set of budget turbos, idc if it's on3 bw/vs racing or ebay junk, if somebody has ran a set at 8-900 rwhp and they flat out worked , spooled good and lasted 6 months or more I'm game. I also need fuel injectors to support that goal. Long term I want to be north of 1000 rwhp , but the goal here is to get this car back together as fast as possible at 8-900 rwhp . I have a racetronix dual 340lph fuel pump assembly and a racetronix Hotwire dual for a 98 f-body. Do you think I can modify the Hotwire and bucket to work in this car ? Also need a cheap wideband , dual 44mm gates and dual 50mm blow off valves , as well as a boost controller . If I can squeeze a water meth kit into my 3000.00 budget then let's do it as well. I also need a solution for plug wires , as the gto turbo setups are notorious for burning em down . Lmk what ya'll think. My first instinct is a pair of s300's in the 500 a piece range but the more I look into it , the more I like the on3 ceramic ball bearing 6765s.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

You shot yourself in the foot with the twin setup as far as the budget situation goes. 800 is doable with a single on3 78.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

S300's under the GTO hood would be a tight squeeze.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

What fuel are we talking?

I'm not familiar with the ceramic ON3, but it interests me. Mine isn't a running engine yet, but I chose twin ON3 72/65's for my twin 5.3 build. Similar goals and based the choice off a buddies success with them. That said, at this point, if I were to expand the budget and do it again, I'd probably go with the S300 series stuff that's competently engineered, tested, and manufactured by a huge, leading edge technology company, vs. competently closely copied, untested, unit with the bells and whistles chime of ceramic ball bearings. If they're the same price, I'd choose the Borg unit personally. But, I wouldn't pass up a knock off unit at the right price either. Which is how/why I ended up with what I have. My thought's on that anyway.

I'd call VS Racing. I don't recall hearing of people having unusual problems with the products he offers. At least to see what he offers as a recommendation to add to the list of possibilities. Ask about the other components while you're at it.

You could forego the BOV's and apply that portion of the budget elsewhere. Or not. It's an option.

Last edited by SethU; 05-24-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Vsracing. Call him, i hear he stocks bosch 210 injectors now. Dont buy cheap injectors. And as said above you dont have to run bovs. If you must just build without them and add once you stack up some more $. Chinese bovs are dirt cheap but idk how long they would last...
Old 05-24-2017, 01:24 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

If you are trying to save money ball bearing turbos aren't the way to do it... china or not.

What size engine? Pair of $160 shipped gt3582's have made around 800whp on a pretty mild 5.3.

900 WHP is quite a jump. The 72/68 turbonetics clones are $300 shipped for the T4's and should do 900whp easy. T3's should also do it and are $237 shipped.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I really don't understand the whole statement of how I shot my self in the foot . It was not a budget build . The motor , transmission, suspension, rear, everything around the car is done right . The Huron speed v3 twin kit for fbodies is far from budget , sloppy Mechanics had a link to Bosch 210lb injectors for 418 dollars . I can't find it anymore . I ran xspower gate and blow off valve at 110 each on my single t4 fbody, just wondered if there was an equal product that'll be reliable for less. I also believe I can fit the borg warners as the battery relocated to the trunk and I'll be designing the kit with turbos directly behind each headlight . I can get a set of comp 6767 turbos that are billet and polished for 1200.00 but i believe they're pretty large for that fast spoiling 8-900rwhp goal. So with 3k max budget I can spend 12-1300 on turbos leaving 17-1800.
eboost street for 275.00 bin on eBay? Leaves 1425.00
440 for gates and blow off valves leaving me 985
injectors regulator lines and fittings should found out the bill and should be able to be finished id think? I have an on3 7665 that was given to me at my shop that is ready to run . Wonder if I should buy a second or if I can replace the chra with a 70mm unit and run a pair of those?
Old 05-24-2017, 01:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd also like to add that I'm sure I could modify the kit to run a single t4 pretty easily as well. Enclosed is two pictures , 1 a fbody engine bay, the second a gto engine bay, both twin turbo . You'll see basically I have to move the turbos out anywheres from 15-25 inches I would guess . Gto bay
Fbody engine bay.
This is what I'm working with . And a Hobart ez tig 165i

Old 05-24-2017, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Why did you buy that kit? I would just sell it and make a truck manifold kit for cheap.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:49 PM
8 Second Club

Replacing wheels and covers on a cheapie china turbo isn’t worth the time/effort/$. You can buy an Ebay 76/65 for less than the ones on3 sells and it will be the exact same product. ($260-280 last I looked) That would be the cheapest option and has been a combo proven to make 1000whp on a mild 6.0.

The 76/65 is a pretty crappy design though. Tiny exh wheels mated to a large comp wheel isn’t ideal. The VS racing 76/68 or 78/75’s are also smallish size wise (compared to an S300). I’d rather run those than the 76/65. The 72/68’s with a .63 T4 would be my pick for a cheapish budget turbo set.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Why would you buy a kit not made for your car just to cut it up and remake everything anyways.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by svslow
Why did you buy that kit? I would just sell it and make a truck manifold kit for cheap.
bought it for my 98 fbody ,car got hit pretty hard and parted out . I don't foresee much work to make this go together and the appearance /quality of everything is very nice .id rather modify this for my gto then take a major loss on it since the brsnd New and took 3 months too get .
Old 05-24-2017, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm sure I could modify this to work in single configuration . Run a s480 or similar turbo .i just got s brand new tig setup , so I imagine with some practice I can make something similar to what I bought back in February for 2875.00 for 2k less !
Old 05-24-2017, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SethU
What fuel are we talking?

I'm not familiar with the ceramic ON3, but it interests me. Mine isn't a running engine yet, but I chose twin ON3 72/65's for my twin 5.3 build. Similar goals and based the choice off a buddies success with them. That said, at this point, if I were to expand the budget and do it again, I'd probably go with the S300 series stuff that's competently engineered, tested, and manufactured by a huge, leading edge technology company, vs. competently closely copied, untested, unit with the bells and whistles chime of ceramic ball bearings. If they're the same price, I'd choose the Borg unit personally. But, I wouldn't pass up a knock off unit at the right price either. Which is how/why I ended up with what I have. My thought's on that anyway.

I'd call VS Racing. I don't recall hearing of people having unusual problems with the products he offers. At least to see what he offers as a recommendation to add to the list of possibilities. Ask about the other components while you're at it.

You could forego the BOV's and apply that portion of the budget elsewhere. Or not. It's an option.
93 pump /ms109 mix on occasion, possible water meth and or 50 shot of nitrous to cool things down . I Have amoney maker intake , and my own fill station. Little over 30 for a 10lb bottle , and I get 5+ 200 shots from that. 20 big pulls of nice cool dense air for 30 bucks is relatively cheap too me .
Old 05-24-2017, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I pulled the trigger on the vsracing s366 clones with .91 a/r and divided t4 flange . Should scream pretty good. Now just need to get some budget gates/bov/boost controller and wideband , with a good set of injectors. How far will sd 80s carry me on pump fuel with water/meth and twin in tank 340s?
Old 05-25-2017, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

I went with the xspower 44mm gates , and 50mm blow off valves . I'm on the fence about which boost controller I should run at this point as well. I'm familiar with the eboost street and found it very easy to use . Does anybody have any experience on the "exile electronic boost controller". What about the quick spool valves used in twin scroll applications b Not sure if the op read my other post but back in February I didn't expect to be building a gto, and ordered a 3000.00 dollar twin setup for my 98 fbody . I've listed this same kit for 2-3 weeks at 2000 shipped "875 less than what I paid for it, with no waiting time, and still brand new in the box" so yes I'd much rather cut and modify this one, and make it into a one off twin setup for my gto c, rather than give it away and lose my *** on it ! We will see when I go to mock it up how everything fits but I can pretty much guarantee that there will be a lot less work involved to modify this twin turbo kit , then to start from scratch . I'm fairly new to this , and figured a few angle changes/ pipe extensions, as opposed to making everything from scratch will be an easy way to getting my feet wet in the fab game .
Old 05-25-2017, 09:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis5374
I really don't understand the whole statement of how I shot my self in the foot . It was not a budget build . The motor , transmission, suspension, rear, everything around the car is done right . The Huron speed v3 twin kit for fbodies is far from budget , sloppy Mechanics had a link to Bosch 210lb injectors for 418 dollars . I can't find it anymore . I ran xspower gate and blow off valve at 110 each on my single t4 fbody, just wondered if there was an equal product that'll be reliable for less. I also believe I can fit the borg warners as the battery relocated to the trunk and I'll be designing the kit with turbos directly behind each headlight . I can get a set of comp 6767 turbos that are billet and polished for 1200.00 but i believe they're pretty large for that fast spoiling 8-900rwhp goal. So with 3k max budget I can spend 12-1300 on turbos leaving 17-1800.
eboost street for 275.00 bin on eBay? Leaves 1425.00
440 for gates and blow off valves leaving me 985
injectors regulator lines and fittings should found out the bill and should be able to be finished id think? I have an on3 7665 that was given to me at my shop that is ready to run . Wonder if I should buy a second or if I can replace the chra with a 70mm unit and run a pair of those?
First three words in the title of this thread "Budget running thin". Point is, twins are not needed for what you are trying to do. I've never understood the fascination with twins, when guys are only looking to make 900ish whp. It can be done easily with a single..... with less stuff to buy.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Game ova
First three words in the title of this thread "Budget running thin". Point is, twins are not needed for what you are trying to do. I've never understood the fascination with twins, when guys are only looking to make 900ish whp. It can be done easily with a single..... with less stuff to buy.
Good advice for readers planning a future project. But, holds little to no value, given his current situation.

"Here's what I want to do, here's what I have, here's what I need, and here's the budget that's left"

That's pretty specific.

"I want to make a banana split.
I have a banana.
I need ice cream, whipped cream, nuts, chocolate syrup, and cherries
I only have $10
What do you recommend?"

"Dude, you shoulda got an apple to make apple pie
I never understood why people make Banana Splits for desert
You're so wrong for wanting that and I'll never understand people like you
You should want what I want because my reasons are far superior to yours"

I think you're missing the point.

HE
ALREADY
HAS
the
banana

LOL
Old 05-25-2017, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

I've been running twin Wyntomn 38mm gates for a year now, been flawless. No trouble holding boost down to 5#
Old 05-25-2017, 11:29 AM
8 Second Club

Half of the banana anyway! Just grab another 76/65 on ebay for 280 shipped and install it for now. You can upgrade to some nicer units down the road. Gives you an additional $1000 in the slush fund.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T76-T4-T04Z-...T9QL8g&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: Budget running thin , need help on cheaper stuff that flat out works !