Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

I need options on cam specs from some experts

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017 | 01:13 PM
Launching!

Default I need options on cam specs from some experts

Motor ERL LS7 434 cube inches , 4.160 bore, 6 bolt lsx heads flowed real good right at 400 cfm , twin turbo SXE 369 with a bigger wheel from reed at works turbo , any input will help I want it to mainly be street driven but also gonna see the track ,
Thanks in advance

Last edited by 1500HP; 05-29-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-29-2017 | 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

There are no experts here.

You've put together some fine pieces. I recommend you call and speak to a real cam expert. Straub Tech, CaMotion, there are a few others I can't think of at the moment. Maybe someone else here can name a few others.

Anyway, a competent cam designer will take all your desires and parameters into account and make something that specifically suits your build and goals.

If they don't ask for your head flow data, call someone else.
Old 05-29-2017 | 04:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SethU
There are no experts here.

You've put together some fine pieces. I recommend you call and speak to a real cam expert. Straub Tech, CaMotion, there are a few others I can't think of at the moment. Maybe someone else here can name a few others.

Anyway, a competent cam designer will take all your desires and parameters into account and make something that specifically suits your build and goals.

If they don't ask for your head flow data, call someone else.
I hear u Seth I have someone in mind already ,But still like to hear other opinions
There not always right but entertaining nonetheless
Old 05-29-2017 | 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1500HP
I hear u Seth I have someone in mind already ,But still like to hear other opinions
There not always right but entertaining nonetheless
I'll give ya my non expert opinion.

What's the MCSA of your intake port?
Old 05-29-2017 | 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

24x 25x 11X 6XX 6XX
Old 05-29-2017 | 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

23x 24x 11x 6xx 6xx. More mild grind lol.
Old 05-31-2017 | 05:16 PM
Launching!

I'll give ya my non expert opinion.

What's the MCSA of your intake port?
3.0 or 3.2 by my math
Old 06-01-2017 | 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Call Martin
Old 06-01-2017 | 07:37 AM
Staging Lane

Another option is to call Lil John he works some majic on turbo combinations:

https://www.liljohnsmotorsports.com/
Old 06-01-2017 | 01:45 PM
TECH Regular

3.0 or 3.2 by my math
A couple years back, I put together a spreadsheet for port velocities to help myself better understand another random inquisition I was following up on at the time. I mention this, as a precursor to what I'm about to say, because I believe it's accurate information, however it's something I put together years ago and it's not calculations that are fresh in my mind.

Anyway, it appears those heads, on that specific engine, would be best suited to, and capable of supporting, a peak RPM of just over 8000! Not street cam territory. So, IMO, any street friendly cam you use will be a detriment to what the existing parts combination is calling for.

Now, that's just my opinion and doesn't mean much. Because, it's what you have... Unless you plan to get a smaller port head that's better suited to the application and RPM range you're likely to utilize in a street driven car. Which I doubt is something you'll consider doing, but who knows?

This is a primary case where a competent cam designer can make the most out of your existing combination for your intended use. He'll be able to maximize the valve timing events and ramp rates to account for, and take advantage of, the (reduced) port velocity.

If you just want an off the shelf option, they're all going to be short of stellar and ultimately a compromise... Not a bad thing really. It opens the door to choose pretty much any cam you want. Just pick one that operates in the rpm region you expect to use. Something in the 230-240º intake duration neighborhood may, perhaps be a good balance, giving you a taste of what the heads are capable of, while still being streetable if your gearing isn't too tall.

Anyway, my $0.02. Does any of it seem off to any of you other guys?

Last edited by SethU; 06-01-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-01-2017 | 02:13 PM
8 Second Club

Nice setup! Be curious how those larger compressor wheels work with the same hotside. Should live up to your screenname though!
Old 06-01-2017 | 06:38 PM
Launching!

z
Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Nice setup! Be curious how those larger compressor wheels work with the same hotside. Should live up to your screenname though!
I had a vary similar combo to this same heads , only real difference , is I had 91 mm single turbo thru a 4L80 on pump gas made 1180 RWhp hardly no timing 16 degreess
Had a lot more in it , so with better tech and Twins should be nasty
Old 06-01-2017 | 07:21 PM
Old School Heavy

Motor ERL LS7 434 cube inches , 4.160 bore, 6 bolt lsx heads flowed real good right at 400 cfm , twin turbo SXE 369 with a bigger wheel from reed at works turbo , any input will help I want it to mainly be street driven but also gonna see the track ,
Thanks in advance
Originally Posted by ta02zx10r
Call Martin
Originally Posted by Racesloth
Another option is to call Lil John he works some majic on turbo combinations:

https://www.liljohnsmotorsports.com/
I work for Cam Motion and would be glad to help you. You would also be in excellent hands with Martin or John as mentioned above. They are Cam Motion dealers. So, there are 3 ways to get Cam Motion quality to choose from. If you would like me to set you up, email every detail about your build to Steven at CamMotion.com
Old 06-01-2017 | 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

I didn't want to say it earlier, but there you go. Given the build, and for a custom grind, I'd personally want to deal directly with the cam designer. Not necessarily to to cut out the middle man dollar wise (you'll likely pay the same price dealing direct anyway), but more to ensure details are relayed accurately and any questions in either direction can be addressed adequately and competently.

He's gonna need pretty much every detail about the build except for maybe the brand of bearings and bolts you used. It's tedious to provide all of it, but time well spent.

In any case, good luck with the build.
Old 06-02-2017 | 05:30 AM
TECH Regular

I didn't want to say it earlier, but there you go. Given the build, and for a custom grind, I'd personally want to deal directly with the cam designer. Not necessarily to to cut out the middle man dollar wise (you'll likely pay the same price dealing direct anyway), but more to ensure details are relayed accurately and any questions in either direction can be addressed adequately and competently.

He's gonna need pretty much every detail about the build except for maybe the brand of bearings and bolts you used. It's tedious to provide all of it, but time well spent.

In any case, good luck with the build.
There are 2 aspects to a camshaft.

1st. selecting the proper events to make the motor work like it should.

2nd. Getting the proper lobes to keep the valvetain happy and stable.

The two are not mutually exclusive. There are plenty of guys in this country who are more than capable of getting the proper events needed for the engine, but do not design lobes.
Old 06-02-2017 | 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LilJohn
There are 2 aspects to a camshaft.

1st. selecting the proper events to make the motor work like it should.

2nd. Getting the proper lobes to keep the valvetain happy and stable.

The two are not mutually exclusive. There are plenty of guys in this country who are more than capable of getting the proper events needed for the engine, but do not design lobes.
I'm in complete agreement. I might add, that I'd be fine if my cam guy wasn't the "lobe designer". But, he does need to fully understand and be capable of appropriately choosing from the available lobes the cam grinder offers. Both, from valve train reliability and the calculated airflow demand curve vs. cylinder head port flow aspects. If there's no need for a more than less aggressive lobe, there's no reason at all to go with the more aggressive profile. Let alone excessive lift that may or may not be needed/desired.

Not that I'm saying anything you don't know.

You don't design lobes, do you?
Old 06-02-2017 | 01:37 PM
Old School Heavy

I'm in complete agreement. I might add, that I'd be fine if my cam guy wasn't the "lobe designer".
That is a good thing, because this would be a very short list of people.

But, he does need to fully understand and be capable of appropriately choosing from the available lobes the cam grinder offers.
This is an easier group of people to find. And John and Martin both understand their craft very well. Both also have had lobes made to meet their own criteria.
Old 06-04-2017 | 11:06 AM
Launching!

Got it all sorted out let's see how it. Prefomce and I will give the info out
Old 06-18-2017 | 09:28 PM
Launching!

So here we go 244/248 .646/.6 39 116+5 is what I got coming

Quick Reply: I need options on cam specs from some experts