Old 06-01-2017, 11:05 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

You are quite correct, but some people do struggle with reading though
Old 06-01-2017, 11:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I've never claimed to be perfect, I've never claimed I havent blown **** up. Again...stop making **** up.

But if someone is blowing **** up all the time...you can be sure it isnt because they used LS1 gaskets instead of LS9...or projected plugs instead of non projected.

It isnt margin's they need....it's simple tuning knowledge. Dont run too lean, and dont detonate the **** out of it. In fact....never ever let there be detonation even at the mildest onset of it.

Very simple and generic rules that lead to reliable running.
Good lord you trivialize the crap out of stuff.....only when its convenient to you. We were talking about ways to help prevent damage and you immediately reply that you've done with out that and all you need is "simple tuning knowledge". "Dont detonate"......wow, brilliant. Guess what's 1 way not to do that? Don't run a projected tip plug or too hot of a plug You must have read from the book of Rotary. The majority of people on here want margin in their real street cars and DD's, not random crap like "tune good".
Old 06-01-2017, 11:53 AM
10 Second Club

You are quite correct, but some people do struggle with reading though
And others struggle providing real help instead of being an ******* on the interweb
Old 06-01-2017, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Damn you guys, get a room or something. All that flirting is making me hot
Old 06-01-2017, 02:09 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Good lord you trivialize the crap out of stuff.....only when its convenient to you. We were talking about ways to help prevent damage and you immediately reply that you've done with out that and all you need is "simple tuning knowledge". "Dont detonate"......wow, brilliant. Guess what's 1 way not to do that? Don't run a projected tip plug or too hot of a plug You must have read from the book of Rotary. The majority of people on here want margin in their real street cars and DD's, not random crap like "tune good".
So again, show some evidence where a projected plug was the primary cause of engine failure ? And you're now adding another more relevant topic, heat range.
But for now lets stick to the one you keep mentioning as so important ? Projected or non.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:10 PM
9 Second Club

And others struggle providing real help instead of being an ******* on the interweb
The help is there, for those who choose to read and learn.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:33 PM
10 Second Club

So again, show some evidence where a projected plug was the primary cause of engine failure ? And you're now adding another more relevant topic, heat range.
But for now lets stick to the one you keep mentioning as so important ? Projected or non.
Heres your answer...
The help is there, for those who choose to read and learn.
Couldnt resist Nobody has literally blown their stuff up and then ran exactly the same setup, tune and all, with non projected plugs and didn't blow it up. That's the same as the low CR vs high CR motor comparison that doesn't exist. But since you mentioned that the heat range is totally separate from the tip being projected or not. 30 seconds of googling shows that's not true. The longer the insulating tip the hotter the plug, the hotter the plug the more chance of detonation. Plenty of discussion over on yellow bullet and even NGK has info on their site stating this.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 6.0l engine and running the ls1 multilayer gasket since 2005 and i'm good up to 25 lbs of boost but after that they start peeing coolant around 30lbs of boost. I put over 50k miles on the engine.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now gentlemen, play nice. The "secret" thread has some of the best current state info in it that I have read in the last 3 months. No need to harp on trivial things...and yes, running projector tip plugs on a street car with AC making north of 500whp is just asking for trouble...why ask for it.

Jon.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I just want to add that it seems that turbo knowledge is ever-changing and that's what leads to the excitement IMO!!!

When I first got into LS turbo, it was understood at the time that about 500-600 RWHP was the limit for SBE's, rod-bolts were an absolute requirement, head-studs and gaskets etc etc. We have all learned in recent years that rod-bolts are unnecessary, SBE's can hold a HELL of alot more power than initially thought, and now, head gaskets and studs may not even be necessary for moderate power levels. Amazing stuff. We also learned that the tune is the single-most important factor in keeping a motor alive. My cam, spring, and head-stud only 120k LQ9 has not even had the heads off and is being subjected to 16-17 psi pulls for several thousand miles on 93 and a whiff of 50/50 water injection. At this point, I don't even think head-studs are necessary. I do believe running the least amount of timing necessary to make the "number" and a somewhat looser converter aid in longevity, especially on 93.

I'm building another Mustang with a LQ4/4l80e, and this engine has 195k miles. Still has 195lbs compression all the way around. I pulled the heads just to change the lifters as I would hate to wipe out a $400.00 cam due to a lifter going south. But I'll probably go with studs and LS9 gaskets b/c they are cheap and the studs are easier from a service stand-point.

Carry-on...
Old 06-02-2017, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have never guessed a simple question would spark such a debate. This bickering is worse then a bunch of women together when AUNT FLOW is in town. Anyhow those that tried to help I appreciate it. That said with 10 pounds of boost should I use the LS1 multi layer haskets(correct bore size) or the LS9? I did end up using a weisco 3.905 forged piston.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:34 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

The ls1s are $38 a set the ls9s are ~ $95+...so more than double... For your setup thats prob the largest issue really.
Proper block and head surface and prep plus proper torque is likely more beneficial in this case and what should be scrutinized.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:11 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MyBonnieLS
Now gentlemen, play nice. The "secret" thread has some of the best current state info in it that I have read in the last 3 months. No need to harp on trivial things...and yes, running projector tip plugs on a street car with AC making north of 500whp is just asking for trouble...why ask for it.

Jon.

Oh *****...so all those mile or 1km events I've ran over last few years at over 1k with projected nose plugs on pump+meth was asking for trouble. Nope...no trouble. Maybe it was because I dont have AC though ?

500hp is childs play and most at that level are still running 6's, which is a mile off even contemplating non projected plugs.

Trivial ? Your thoughts on plugs are trivial.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:13 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 70c10
I would have never guessed a simple question would spark such a debate. This bickering is worse then a bunch of women together when AUNT FLOW is in town. Anyhow those that tried to help I appreciate it. That said with 10 pounds of boost should I use the LS1 multi layer haskets(correct bore size) or the LS9? I did end up using a weisco 3.905 forged piston.
the choice is entirely up to you.

But the stock LS1 gasket will easily handle what you're doing...and then double the boost too. There is a price difference...if that matters just stick LS1. If you want correct gasket diameter, just stick with LS1.

If you dont care about either of those and want the LS9's anyway....again no harm in doing so.

Last edited by stevieturbo; 06-02-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:28 AM
8 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

since i went turbo ive only everf used ls9 head gaskets. on any and all of my motors. they work stupid good and theyre cheap.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:03 AM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
The ls1s are $38 a set the ls9s are ~ $95+...so more than double... For your setup thats prob the largest issue really.
Proper block and head surface and prep plus proper torque is likely more beneficial in this case and what should be scrutinized.
Proper block and head surface! Exactly.
My LS1 gaskets failed because the clean up cut on my heads was to coarse. My machinist has old equipment for surfacing.
It was easy to see the root cause.

I fixed that, went to LS9 gaskets (alum 5.3) problem solved.

Since you you can certainly buy cold extended tip plugs, I think you guys should study plug design further.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Since you you can certainly buy cold extended tip plugs, I think you guys should study plug design further.
Eloquent and to the point, without added BS... Well put.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:36 AM
10 Second Club

I find that hilarious considering NGKs own website specifically states extended tip plugs by definition are hotter than there non extended tip counter parts and put you closer to the detonation threshold. I've done all the research I care to and came to the conclusion that extended/projected tip plugs aren't for me. I don't go 200mph....but also don't have meth on the car which is a huge advantage. I'll stick with what works for me and everyone can stick with what works for them.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

I find that hilarious considering NGKs own website specifically states extended tip plugs by definition are hotter than there non extended tip counter parts and put you closer to the detonation threshold. I've done all the research I care to and came to the conclusion that extended/projected tip plugs aren't for me. I don't go 200mph....but also don't have meth on the car which is a huge advantage. I'll stick with what works for me and everyone can stick with what works for them.
Not a damn thing wrong with that either. If they work for ya, run 'em. Personally, I'm not yet convinced one way or the other on the subject.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

...NGKs own website specifically states extended tip plugs by definition are hotter than there non extended tip counter parts and put you closer to the detonation threshold...
I just gave their site a look over and didn't see info like this. You don't happen to have a link, do you? Wouldn't mind reading it in full context.

Quick Reply: Ls9 Head Gaskets