Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ls9 Head Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 03:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by SethU
I just gave their site a look over and didn't see info like this. You don't happen to have a link, do you? Wouldn't mind reading it in full context.
https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about-ngk/tech-talk/spark-plug-basics
excerp....
"Heat rating and heat flow path of NGK Spark Plugs
Some basic structural factors affecting the heat range of a spark plug are:
  • Surface area and/or length of the insulator nose
  • Thermal conductivity of the insulator, center electrode, etc.
  • Structure of the center electrode such as a copper core, etc.
  • Relative position of the insulator tip to the end of the shell (projection)
The major structural difference affecting the heat rating is the length of the insulator nose. A hot-type spark plug has a longer insulator nose. The insulator nose of a hotter spark plug has a longer distance between the firing tip of the insulator, and the point where insulator meets the metal shell. Therefore, the path for the dissipation of heat from the insulator nose to the cylinder head is longer and the firing end stays hotter. The insulator nose of a hotter spark plug also has a greater surface area that is exposed to more of the ignited gases and is easily heated to higher temperatures. A colder spark plug functions in an opposite manner."

Based on this....for a given heat range plug, a BR7EF will be colder than a BR7EFS even though they're both technically a 7. Since the insulating tip is the hottest part of the plug, I don't want that projected into the cylinder if it's not necessary to do the job. That's just my opinion, everyone can do what they want. Some say they foul non projected 7s, but that hasn't been my experience.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about-ngk/tech-talk/spark-plug-basics
excerp....
"Heat rating and heat flow path of NGK Spark Plugs
Some basic structural factors affecting the heat range of a spark plug are:
  • Surface area and/or length of the insulator nose
  • Thermal conductivity of the insulator, center electrode, etc.
  • Structure of the center electrode such as a copper core, etc.
  • Relative position of the insulator tip to the end of the shell (projection)
The major structural difference affecting the heat rating is the length of the insulator nose. A hot-type spark plug has a longer insulator nose. The insulator nose of a hotter spark plug has a longer distance between the firing tip of the insulator, and the point where insulator meets the metal shell. Therefore, the path for the dissipation of heat from the insulator nose to the cylinder head is longer and the firing end stays hotter. The insulator nose of a hotter spark plug also has a greater surface area that is exposed to more of the ignited gases and is easily heated to higher temperatures. A colder spark plug functions in an opposite manner."

Based on this....for a given heat range plug, a BR7EF will be colder than a BR7EFS even though they're both technically a 7. Since the insulating tip is the hottest part of the plug, I don't want that projected into the cylinder if it's not necessary to do the job. That's just my opinion, everyone can do what they want. Some say they foul non projected 7s, but that hasn't been my experience.
I did find and read that. Please don't take this as confrontational. I appreciate our interactions here and the mutual respect that exists.

It doesn't exactly say, what you said it says. The part about extended/protruding tip plugs may be what you took it to mean, however that's not what it says or is intended to mean.

In the context, as it's written, there's no denotation about heat ranges being different for extended vs standard plugs.

It just explains how the plug absorbs and dissipates heat.

Again, I have no dog in this, my mind is open to all sides of the discussion, and I appreciate you and your posts.

Thank you for posting it in context. I appreciate it.

-Seth-
Old 06-03-2017, 04:30 PM
10 Second Club

I did find and read that. Please don't take this as confrontational. I appreciate our interactions here and the mutual respect that exists.

It doesn't exactly say, what you said it says. The part about extended/protruding tip plugs may be what you took it to mean, however that's not what it says or is intended to mean.

In the context, as it's written, there's no denotation about heat ranges being different for extended vs standard plugs.

It just explains how the plug absorbs and dissipates heat.

Again, I have no dog in this, my mind is open to all sides of the discussion, and I appreciate you and your posts.

Thank you for posting it in context. I appreciate it.

-Seth-
No offense taken....I don't expect NGK to specifically call out the scenario we're discussion. I.E. high hp pump gas only. Did you really expect it to say "projected bad!!"?

I believe based on what they wrote and applying common sense, projecting the tip, which they state is the hottest part of the plug, into the cylinder that is already at high pressure isn't a good idea and puts you closer to the threshold for detonation/preignition. When there is no downside to running a non-projected plug, why not? More cushion from detonation.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:35 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

I find that hilarious considering NGKs own website specifically states extended tip plugs by definition are hotter than there non extended tip counter parts and put you closer to the detonation threshold. I've done all the research I care to and came to the conclusion that extended/projected tip plugs aren't for me. I don't go 200mph....but also don't have meth on the car which is a huge advantage. I'll stick with what works for me and everyone can stick with what works for them.
I have gone 200mph....on normal nose spark plugs.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:35 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

This is a pretty good read

https://www.vdlfuelsystems.com/anything-and-everything-you-want-to-know-about-spark-plugs/
Old 06-03-2017, 04:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I have gone 200mph....on normal nose spark plugs.
yup....with meth
Old 06-03-2017, 04:44 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
This is a pretty good read

https://www.vdlfuelsystems.com/anything-and-everything-you-want-to-know-about-spark-plugs/
i found that in my searches too...pretty cool ready and had comparisons of the old school vs new school on putting as hot of a plus in vs as cold of a plug in. I swear I read somewhere that having too hot of a plug will also act like advancing ignition.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:06 PM
8 Second Club

i found that in my searches too...pretty cool ready and had comparisons of the old school vs new school on putting as hot of a plus in vs as cold of a plug in. I swear I read somewhere that having too hot of a plug will also act like advancing ignition.
I think the reference to that is the fact that the spark is a wee bit further into the chamber so it has the effect of advancing the timing.

If you picture the extreme opposite......wrong plug with the gap up inside the threads, it would retard the timing.

FWIW, I also don't wish to start a pissing match about plugs. I find the discussion fascinating.

I believe the manufacturer that an 8 is an 8 whether it's a std tip or a projected tip plug.

I believe the thinking is that the longer ground strap could overheat due to it's length and cause pre-ignition. I understand the thinking.

On the other hand, I run an NGK -8 projected tip race plug, and I get the same nice timing mark that I get when I use and read the BR7's in buddies cars. Same fuel, same timing.
So I would think that if my slightly longer ground strap was overheating, the timing mark would be way down around the bend. And it isn't.

I ran TR6 when I first boosted my 5.3. At 10psi they were ok. At 15psi they were pissed off. Clearly overheated. Glazed porcelain, and the electrodes were rounded off.

Thus far I've had no issues, and see no distress in the 8 race plugs.

I'm running E80 btw. I've no desire to try pump fuel.

Ron
Old 06-03-2017, 05:10 PM
TECH Regular

No offense taken....I don't expect NGK to specifically call out the scenario we're discussion. I.E. high hp pump gas only. Did you really expect it to say "projected bad!!"?
I kinda expected it might say something along the lines of..." extended tip plugs are hotter than their non extended tip counter parts and put you closer to the detonation threshold", but had strong suspicions it might not say exactly that.

I believe based on what they wrote and applying common sense, projecting the tip, which they state is the hottest part of the plug, into the cylinder that is already at high pressure isn't a good idea and puts you closer to the threshold for detonation/preignition. When there is no downside to running a non-projected plug, why not? More cushion from detonation.
I completely agree that it makes sense, I can picture it in my head, and I've considered it a undeniable fact in the past. However, I've read some things in the last couple years that have piqued some curiosity, causing me to question the reality of my previous beliefs about the subject.

Fact is, a non projected tip isn't going to kill anything, so go with it if it's not worth your concern. I have read accounts that claim slight performance gains with projected plugs. And accounts that completely defy the popular beliefs about projected plugs. What we believe about them may be true. Or, it may all be completely false. That's where I'm at on the whole thing anyway.

From my standpoint, I would expect that, if they make an extended tip plug in the heat range I need, it would not run hotter than a non extended plug of the same heat range. Given their literature anyway.

Could just be a wives tale, caused/started by a reputable tuner leaning an engine out too much and blaming the plug for the awful misfortune. Or a magazine prints it, and we eat that **** up like it has gravy on it. All of a sudden, forced induction automatically equals non projected plugs, for all the wrong reasons.

Could be the case anyway. Could be.

I'm not convinced one way or the other.

Last edited by SethU; 06-03-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:13 PM
10 Second Club

I think the reference to that is the fact that the spark is a wee bit further into the chamber so it has the effect of advancing the timing.

If you picture the extreme opposite......wrong plug with the gap up inside the threads, it would retard the timing.

FWIW, I also don't wish to start a pissing match about plugs. I find the discussion fascinating.

I believe the manufacturer that an 8 is an 8 whether it's a std tip or a projected tip plug.

I believe the thinking is that the longer ground strap could overheat due to it's length and cause pre-ignition. I understand the thinking.

On the other hand, I run an NGK -8 projected tip race plug, and I get the same nice timing mark that I get when I use and read the BR7's in buddies cars. Same fuel, same timing.
So I would think that if my slightly longer ground strap was overheating, the timing mark would be way down around the bend. And it isn't.

I ran TR6 when I first boosted my 5.3. At 10psi they were ok. At 15psi they were pissed off. Clearly overheated. Glazed porcelain, and the electrodes were rounded off.

Ron
thats cool info, I really thought it was interesting the whole cold hot plug affects timing. I also liked your TR6 comment, real world data to me always beats theory and it's cool you could tell when the tr6 got too hot.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:14 PM
10 Second Club

I

Could be the case anyway. Could be.

I'm not convinced one way or the other.
Thats the beauty, everyone can decide what works best for them.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:55 AM
8 Second Club

thats cool info, I really thought it was interesting the whole cold hot plug affects timing. I also liked your TR6 comment, real world data to me always beats theory and it's cool you could tell when the tr6 got too hot.
I'm 61 years young. I used a microscope! I cheated.
if you want to see scary ****, look at plugs with a microscope......
Old 06-04-2017, 02:19 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Whats wrong with Cometics?
Old 06-04-2017, 05:42 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blown06
Whats wrong with Cometics?
In general probably not a lot.

But GM gaskets are cheaper, and very much arguably more well proven. Win Win.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:59 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

I wouldn't say gm is more well proven. Maybe just more widely used based on cost. Gm is cheaper that is all. Cometic has a new heavy duty line as well as so many choices of bore and thickness esp for ls7 setups which only have 1 gm choice.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:58 AM
9 Second Club

Just look at almost any build here....LS9's are the most common, and they work time and time again.

To me that is absolutely well proven ( and same with almost any GM MLS gasket )

Cometics ? who knows ? There may be a handful out there.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:21 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

We sell a handful of cometics a week.
Tech is a microcosm of the nation, i guaratee you there are more than a handful running gaskets other than gm.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Are the stock LS1 gaskets multi layer like the LS9?
Old 06-05-2017, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Ron
Actually, based on this description we should be using projected plugs...they run cooler at wot:

2. Projected Core Nose – places the spark an additional 1/8″ into the combustion chamber. Originally designed to prevent fouling by exposing the insulator/ center wire to the air fuel path and heat of the cylinder. In street applications it performs as a hotter plug at lower RPM while running cooler at higher RPM. This is due to the cooling effect of the fuel charge on the projected tip. In racing it does the same thing, however it has limitations because the core nose length and the long ground wire limit the ability to build the colder heat ranges in this configuration. If this plug could be built in a colder heat range it would be ideal for super-speedway use, but as it is its use is normally limited to short tracks, some road courses, and sometimes qualifying on the big tracks. Because it physically moves the ignition point it can more centrally locate the ignition which reduces combustion time. It can also place the ignition point in a more efficient location based on swirl. In some cases this plug has the same effect as increasing ignition timing.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 69-chvl
Actually, based on this description we should be using projected plugs...they run cooler at wot:

2. Projected Core Nose – places the spark an additional 1/8″ into the combustion chamber. Originally designed to prevent fouling by exposing the insulator/ center wire to the air fuel path and heat of the cylinder. In street applications it performs as a hotter plug at lower RPM while running cooler at higher RPM. This is due to the cooling effect of the fuel charge on the projected tip. In racing it does the same thing, however it has limitations because the core nose length and the long ground wire limit the ability to build the colder heat ranges in this configuration. If this plug could be built in a colder heat range it would be ideal for super-speedway use, but as it is its use is normally limited to short tracks, some road courses, and sometimes qualifying on the big tracks. Because it physically moves the ignition point it can more centrally locate the ignition which reduces combustion time. It can also place the ignition point in a more efficient location based on swirl. In some cases this plug has the same effect as increasing ignition timing.
link?

Quick Reply: Ls9 Head Gaskets