Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Possible hints to spun bearings

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 07:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possible hints to spun bearings

Recently put my motor back together after fixing a bad lifter and replacing the cam.

Was getting the motor up to temp when it siezed, taking it all apart again now and it looks like it spun some bearings on the connecting rods, checking the main caps tonight.

My question is, would modifying the Base pan with a -4 an feed line out of the top of the filter caused an insufficient supply to the rest of the rotating assembly? Was a restrictor needed?

From what I've taken apart so far it's unclear what the cause of failure was, I guess common sense would say that it was oil pump failure, but how can I be sure?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 06-09-2017, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most likely not your cause. Id be willing to bet it was whatever metal was in there from the lifter or something along those lines.

You hardly need any pressure are idle to avoid damage. For you to spin multiples, it either had no oil or they were already Effed in the A
Old 06-09-2017, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Hmmm, I didn't have any metals in the magnet on the oil pan when I initially dropped the pan when I fixed the lifters. Its strange... I've actually only removed one connecting rod bearing too and came across the carnage, so I'm not even sure how extensive the damage is.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:31 PM
Launching!

Oil pump?? Sounds like you were already possibly having oil delivery issues. When you replaced your cam, how did the cam bearings look?
Old 06-09-2017, 05:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by MeMz
Recently put my motor back together after fixing a bad lifter and replacing the cam.

Was getting the motor up to temp when it siezed, taking it all apart again now and it looks like it spun some bearings on the connecting rods, checking the main caps tonight.

My question is, would modifying the Base pan with a -4 an feed line out of the top of the filter caused an insufficient supply to the rest of the rotating assembly? Was a restrictor needed?

From what I've taken apart so far it's unclear what the cause of failure was, I guess common sense would say that it was oil pump failure, but how can I be sure?

Thanks in advance!!
No...but that depends on exactly what you've modified !
Old 06-09-2017, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Modified wouldn't be a good word, my apologies.

All we did was drill and tap 1/8" for a -4 an feed line to the turbo and drilled and tapped in a -10an drain
Old 06-10-2017, 05:00 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Yes but exactly where, on what oil pan etc etc ? What fittings, how deep did you drill ?

There are a ton of variables, be specific, pictures etc always helps.

What one person might describe...could be vastly different from reality !
Old 06-10-2017, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

What was the oil pressure?
Old 06-12-2017, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

I don't remember what the oil pressure was when the engine failed because I was running back and forth between filling up the radiator. But it had normal operating pressure (according to the gauge cluster) when it ran several times before failure.

The feed was drilled and tapped at the top of the oil filter on a stock ls1 oil pan.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

I'm already assuming that it was oil pump failure, my main question was really if re-routing oil flow for a turbo could be a suspect. I feel like I've read so many threads about people doing the same thing, and no issues were there.

My buddy helping me is really the one asking the questions because he doesn't wanna hear it from me when I tell him I already copied someone else....
Old 06-12-2017, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tapping that hole won't hurt anything unless your motor was already dangerously low on volume. If you had good pressure at idle than I doubt pressure relief wasn't stuck open. If you had good pressure I doubt your bearing failure was related to anything doing with the pump.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Did the drain get tapped in at a known safe spot? I had a friend nick a oil passage on a block skirt install so it was losing oil back to the pan and dropping the pressure after the gage...(Different motor but thought I'd ask.. May not even be possible in your setup.. )
Old 06-12-2017, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Did the drain get tapped in at a known safe spot? I had a friend nick a oil passage on a block skirt install so it was losing oil back to the pan and dropping the pressure after the gage...(Different motor but thought I'd ask.. May not even be possible in your setup.. )
There is a fitting above the oil filter that you can take off and tap and get filtered oil. It sounds like he took it off and tapped it so that wouldn't be the issue here.

Quick Reply: Possible hints to spun bearings