Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Moser 9 inch with Wavetrac?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 05:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
And I guess regarding any warranty....anyone buying a 9" for one of these GM cars etc.

That would fall foul of not being used in the vehicle it was intended for, so assume no warranty at all ?

Same for my own car, although I never expect to have any warranty with such parts anyway
They are covered. The first 9 inch that was broke was the one we had in a GTO, it was fully covered. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 06-13-2017, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Do they not have a lifetime warranty on them ? Not sure what it really covers though.

Certainly doesnt cover the fact these do still allow one wheel to spin on tight corners etc despite their claims of preloaded friction plates inside.
I know that this is a stupid question but here goes. When you say "allow one wheel to spin on tight corners" do you mean the two wheels are allowed to turn at different speeds or not? Different speeds meaning no tire squeal.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

I mean exactly what I said.

When cornering and weight transfers to one side, or one wheel goes light, that wheel loses all traction and spins. With a Torsen diff, it requires load against both wheels in order to be able to transfer the drive to the one with the most grip. So in scenarios where pretty much all grip is lost, it behaves like an open diff.
Wavetrac claim their friction plates inside the diff can offer this load even when one wheel goes light so as to prevent this condition. It's a claim, it does not work.

For simplicity I've only included 2 graphs, top has right rear and left rear wheel speeds, bottom is undriven wheel speed, ie front.
Orange trace is left rear, green trace right rear.

You can clearly see the huge wheelspin under cornering, and this transferring from one side to another when cornering either left or right respectively. Pretty much under these conditions all forward drive is lost.

With a proper LSD, both wheels would exhibit much closer wheel speeds at all times....
Attached Thumbnails Moser 9 inch with Wavetrac?-wavetrac-wheelspin.jpg  

Last edited by stevieturbo; 06-13-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:28 PM
9 Second Club

Although it doesnt really cover the large traction loss aspect and inability to transfer drive

Old 06-13-2017, 06:35 PM
9 Second Club

Wavetracs claims showing the internal friction plates to try and apply load at all times to each side of the diff to try and allow the diff to work. The theory is sound, it just seems there is an inability to provide enough load in this manner. Maybe the steel plates vs carbon might work....if they offered them for my 8.8" unit.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

When cornering and weight transfers to one side, or one wheel goes light, that wheel loses all traction and spins.
Thanks. I was confused with the term spin because if the car is in motion then all wheels are spinning (assuming not locked up with braking) just at different speeds when turning but I noticed the spokesman for Wavetrac used the term in the same way as you did.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:00 AM
9 Second Club

Naturally wheelspin/spin always refers to a loss of traction, not normal wheel rotation.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will give credit for WaveTrac's warranty. I bought a used one for a 8.8 and called them to ask a few questions and they had me send it back to them for a full rebuild free of charge. Great company to deal with.
I put in my jeep and its working good, I was amazed with how much smoother it drives vs the Ford clutch posi that I had in it. I have a Tru-Trac in the front and that Wave-Trac in the rear. Its kind of a odd setup for a jeep, but its seamless for something I drive on the street alot and do some moderate to heavy wheeling with.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:03 AM
TECH Regular

Naturally wheelspin/spin always refers to a loss of traction, not normal wheel rotation.
This is helpful as I tend to default in my thinking to my Detroit Locker which does not work in the same manner. As I understand it, when going around a corner, the outside/faster turning wheel turns freely/without power and all power goes to the inside/slower turning wheel. Makes for interesting handling but with an automatic I have gotten used to it.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stevie, you really should get in contact with Autotech. Your problem sounds a lot like mine just in a different scenario.

Mine is also an 8.8 unit in a 1990 Rx7, no questions were asked as to what kind of vehicle it was in. They just asked what the symptons were and how much power I was making.

And I just want to state again that even though they couldn't see anything wrong with my diff they still went through it and replaced everything that might be wearable.

Should get it back today, I'll post some pictures.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:42 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by stoverz28
Stevie, you really should get in contact with Autotech. Your problem sounds a lot like mine just in a different scenario.

Mine is also an 8.8 unit in a 1990 Rx7, no questions were asked as to what kind of vehicle it was in. They just asked what the symptons were and how much power I was making.

And I just want to state again that even though they couldn't see anything wrong with my diff they still went through it and replaced everything that might be wearable.

Should get it back today, I'll post some pictures.
The practicalities of sending a diff to/from from the UK to US is no good

The diff largely is working, it isnt broken, it just isnt capable of preventing one wheel spinning. That's just an inherent design negative of a Torsen though. I always knew it was being hopeful the diff would behave in any other manner so I'm accepting of that flaw.

I'm not about to pull the car apart, rendering it useless, pay a fortune for postage, have to deal with the complete ******* morons at customs etc for there to be no real positive outcome.

But the more of that type of racing I do...the more annoying the one wheel spin does get. But the simple fact is nobody makes a decent strong proper plated LSD, so I have no other option and I will never fit a locker style diff.

Maybe if they offered the steel plates for my unit, that could make a difference. Or maybe even shove an extra plate or two in it in case that might force extra pre-load....no idea. It's ok for now though

Last edited by stevieturbo; 06-14-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Well for what it's worth, they did cover shipping for the trip back but I am just a few states away. I do understand not wanting to take the car down if it's not a big issue though.

Here is the invoice of everything they did as well as a picture of the diff. Looks brand new except for my bearing they pressed back on for me.
Name:  20170614_180944_zpshodrg2gk.jpg
Views: 3452
Size:  183.9 KB
Name:  20170614_175813_zpsckfgx03v.jpg
Views: 3477
Size:  223.9 KB
Old 06-14-2017, 06:31 PM
9 Second Club

What was the actual problem you had with it ? or Symptoms ?
Old 06-14-2017, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

It was just spinning one tire during my burnout at the track, 2nd gear clutch dump on a 28x13.50 tire. I put the car up after that even though it hooked and went straight. Had no idea about the one wheel peel until I was told in the pits.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:03 AM
9 Second Club

In straight line etc mine always behaves itself ok.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just thinking I can test the hell out of this thing. When I get a minute ill hang one rear tire on the jeep with blocks under the axle tube and see if I drive off them.... Its a jeep and I can do dumb **** like that

Quick Reply: Moser 9 inch with Wavetrac?