Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

oil pressure issue....NEW UPDATE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 01:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by AutomagicLS1
put a thicker oil in it. summer time, turbo's are superheaters for oil literally turns to water. I run super tech 15w40 walmart oil in my motor. It's never in there long enough to matter. If you are worried about running super tech run Delvac 15w40 diesel oil
This is true...within reason. If he can't get over 25psi with rpm, he's got issues...i don't care if he's on E85 or not. His fuel, or the lack of a cooler is not the problem.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:08 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

updated...pics attached.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Game ova
Wait..... that oil was in the car for 6 months??? If so, you should be changing it more often than that, turbos are murderous on oil.
maybe 300 miles in those 6 months. dont drive it that often.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gunters96lt1
I had this exact same issue about a week ago. Made a pull and after I turned around noticed the oil pressure. Pretty much exactly like yours. Although mine would go over 25psi. Drained the oil and it was like water, cut open my filter and didn't notice anything. SBE 5.3 with a borg.

Stuck some Valvoline conventional 20-50 VR1 in it and pressure is back to normal. Although part of me still thinks its hurt lol.
If it still builds your fine. mine wouldnt build. no more then 25 psi and 40 on a cold start. ill tear into it in a few weeks. its jet ski season haha.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The good news is it sounds like you caught it early. Damage may be very minimal.

The real question is why did it happen. Oil temps could be an issue, and it might be a good idea to change it a little more often, but I'm voting insufficient oil volume at the mains.

Sorry if I missed it, but what oil were you running?
What oil pump are you using?
What pan are you running? Is there any chance the pickup ever went dry?
What were the bearing clearances?
Old 06-30-2017, 03:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jrtoffroad
The good news is it sounds like you caught it early. Damage may be very minimal.

The real question is why did it happen. Oil temps could be an issue, and it might be a good idea to change it a little more often, but I'm voting insufficient oil volume at the mains.

Sorry if I missed it, but what oil were you running?
What oil pump are you using?
What pan are you running? Is there any chance the pickup ever went dry?
What were the bearing clearances?
oil temps got to 240...that shouldnt be an issue at all.

Sorry if I missed it, but what oil were you running? LS 5w30 joe gibbs
What oil pump are you using? melling high pressure
What pan are you running? Is there any chance the pickup ever went dry? f body pan, i highly doubt it went dry from a 60 mph roll.
What were the bearing clearances? i would have to ask my engine builder. This is my concern as well.

What do the high hp guys run for oil pans? I saw a couple people had a moroso, i dont mind switch when its done to fix the pick up issue when actually launching.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Hypforlife32
oil temps got to 240...that shouldnt be an issue at all.

Sorry if I missed it, but what oil were you running? LS 5w30 joe gibbs
What oil pump are you using? melling high pressure
What pan are you running? Is there any chance the pickup ever went dry? f body pan, i highly doubt it went dry from a 60 mph roll.
What were the bearing clearances? i would have to ask my engine builder. This is my concern as well.

What do the high hp guys run for oil pans? I saw a couple people had a moroso, i dont mind switch when its done to fix the pick up issue when actually launching.
I'm not high powered, but this is a good pan. Has a trap door for keeping the pickup covered at all times, it also has extra capacity.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:51 PM
10 Second Club

If it still builds your fine. mine wouldnt build. no more then 25 psi and 40 on a cold start. ill tear into it in a few weeks. its jet ski season haha.

it does, at least for now. My oil didn't look bad other than very very thin lol. Just seen your pics, ouch! Im afraid mine will end up like this soon haha. Guess that's the life of the junkyard sbe game for me anyways.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Game ova
I'm not high powered, but this is a good pan. Has a trap door for keeping the pickup covered at all times, it also has extra capacity.

no oil pressure drop issues?
Old 06-30-2017, 04:13 PM
TECH Junkie

no oil pressure drop issues?
Never any pressure drop from accelerating. But during the summer months, cruising around.... the oil pressure drops to 22psi idle...rises to 48-50 cruising. Some people might panic seeing 22psi at idle.... but its perfectly fine. It's to be expected when you have a 300 degree turbo heating up your oil. Had the motor out last year, and the bearings were perfectly ok.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

updated...pics attached.
Good thing you didnt just throw in some 20/50 and pretend it was ok.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sbcgenII
Good thing you didnt just throw in some 20/50 and pretend it was ok.
yeah for sure. I wasn't gonna toss new oil in it, always have to check just in case.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh yea that thing is hurt big time
Old 06-30-2017, 06:31 PM
Launching!

oh yea that thing is hurt big time
Thanks. lol. ugh. dreading pulling it out to find out what it is. hopefully what ever happened is saveable.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks. lol. ugh. dreading pulling it out to find out what it is. hopefully what ever happened is saveable.
Would be nice if you had the same issue that I had last year. Seen glitter/chunks like you have, even rattled once when I started it...had trash oil pressure. Pulled it out, every bearing was fine.....turns out the motor was fine. But it wasn't long after....my turbo failed....coincidence? Oil pump o ring was shot as well, wish you the best.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Most likely hurt the thrust. Be sure to double check your converter spacing and driveshaft length when you put it back together. Easy way to hammer the thrust
Old 07-03-2017, 02:20 PM
Launching!

Most likely hurt the thrust. Be sure to double check your converter spacing and driveshaft length when you put it back together. Easy way to hammer the thrust
comveter spacing is .140ish give or take .005. If anything I thought the driveshaft was on the shorter side. It has a decent bit of play when you unbolt it toward and back.

Someone mentiones restricting the trans pump which I don't think was ever done. Could that have done it?
Old 07-03-2017, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

comveter spacing is .140ish give or take .005. If anything I thought the driveshaft was on the shorter side. It has a decent bit of play when you unbolt it toward and back.

Someone mentiones restricting the trans pump which I don't think was ever done. Could that have done it?
It is possible. You will get people that say "it's only the beginning, there's so much more to it". But from my research, and personal experience....restricting the converter circuit is a good idea when dealing with a 400, especially when it's a turbo car.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thrust bearing damage should not cause reduced oil pressure, unless say a non-bypass filter was to get clogged with material.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:59 PM
Launching!

updated! TTT

Quick Reply: oil pressure issue....NEW UPDATE!