Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Silverback build thread - 347 S485 TH400

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverback build thread - 347 S485 TH400

I have been meaning to start a thread for a while but just never got around to it but as the project is nearing completion I figured I should put this out here and will provide updates once the car is done.

The car is a 98 Camaro SS that I bought over 6 years ago and have been slowly chipping away at it over the years. It started out as a cammed (MS3) LS1 and all the normal bolt ons and made 400rwhp through a T56. I was happy with that for a while and as always we just want more. I then added a small shot of nitrous and put down 550rwhp. The only problem was the little 10 bolt and sticky tires ended in carnage so I wanted the beefiest rear end that I could afford at the time so I got a Strange S60 with 3.73 gears.

I later knew I wanted more and instead of blowing up the stock 98 short block I purchased an forged iron LS1 (LM7 bored out to a 5.7) short block from Thompson, custom cam from Martin, TFS 220 as cast heads, ported Fast 102 and 102 throttle body, TSP 1 7/8 headers to true dual exhaust and put down 647rwhp and 750 ft lbs through the T56 on a 200 shot. I then thought that I was on borrowed time with the T56 and knew I wanted to push it further so I sold the trans while it still had value and swapped to a FTI level 4.5 TH400 with transbrake. I also got one of their custom spec'd converters. With that setup, full suspension with Vikings at 3910lbs with me in the car it would run consistant 10.3Xs at 132mph. The best 60' was 1.38 on ET Pros and would hang the tires even on poor track prep. (Pic is before the MWC anti-roll bar)

I was pretty happy with the setup until the pump in the trans failed and caused the engine to over rev on nitrous and hurt the engine. At this point I had to decide what I wanted to do with the car. It was starting to get hard to get nitrous and I always wanted a turbo car so I made the plunge and started my 10 month journey to today.

I sold everything on the car that I didn't need any more and started stock piling parts for the new build. This is the general parts list of the larger items:
-New Thompson 5.7 with -18cc pistons, h beam rods, stock crank, ARP everything, and LJMS Stage II cam. Will be 10.1:1 compression on E85
-Reused the milled Trick Flow 220 as cast heads from BTR
-LS6 intake manifold with stock throttle body
-Holley valve covers with LS3 coils
-Bosch 127 injectors
-Racetronix fuel system with -8 feed and -6 return
-Two in tank 450 pumps and modified the bucket to have a -8 bulkhead
-LNC-2000
-Griffin dual pass radiator (58241-XLS)
-Dual derale pusher fans
-High current alt from Powermaster
-Freshed up the TH400 from FTI

Turbo system:
-Huron Speed V3 T6 system- coated satin black
-4.5" Bell intercooler
-Borg S485 with V2 race cover from HSP and Jose at FI
-2 XSPower 50mm BOVs
-2 Precision PW46s wastegates
-Custom downpipe will be made once I receive the kit to connect to my 4' Mufflex exhaust that has a 4" cutout after the firewall.
-Leash Pulse combo box
-Co2 for Leash boost controller

Suspension:
-MWC kmember
-MWC lower control arms
-MWC tunnel mount torque arm
-MWC drag bar
-BMR control arms
-BMR panhard bar
-DA Viking coilover and shocks

I have everything pretty much wrapped up to what I can complete before I get the turbo system and then I will be thrashing in the garage to get it running.

I don't have any real set goals at this time but I would love to see the car in the 8s and will be doing Drag Week 2018 in this car so I have to catch all my safety requirements up before then.

I apologize for the pic dump but I figure most will want to see the build and catch up to today.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Old 06-30-2017, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Boost control solenoids
Oil drain
Vacuum distribution block on AC block off plate
FPR with pressure sensor
Fuel feed with y to supply he rails

Old 07-01-2017, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome build man. Keep the updates coming

RyanR
Old 07-01-2017, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks awesome! I love how you can tuck in the radiator like that on these cars.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by svslow
Looks awesome! I love how you can tuck in the radiator like that on these cars.
I have never welded before but with a little practice I was able to cap off the ends of the core support, add a lip around the fill cap, and fill the unused holes in the engine bay. I am pretty happy with the result but know that I could do it better if I had to do it again. Here is another pic of that process.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Area 51 Racing
Awesome build man. Keep the updates coming

RyanR
Thanks!
Old 07-01-2017, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sweet build man! Post up that custom dp when it's done. I really wanna swap to a bw turbo but don't want a fender exhaust
Old 07-06-2017, 04:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Looking good. Keep at it!
Old 07-06-2017, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

I got a little done over the weekend but have a 11 mo baby and wifey was working so time was limited. The CO2 billet brackets don't fit my Wolfe bolt in roll bar so I fabricated something up and mounted behind the driver seat on the speaker panel. I will be doing a 10 point chromoly cage this winter and everything else that is needed to tech down to an 8.50 so I will use the brackets then. I really don't have a ton to do at this point until I get my kit from Huron. It is currently at the coater getting the cold side satin black powder coat and satin black ceramic on the hot side. I have really been debating on wrapping the hot side. I know it will help but it will look so clean in satin black.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

Nice ride...What shifter is that? Also what is that rectangle gauge with the launch button in front of the shifter?
Old 07-06-2017, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by White 02 WS6
Nice ride...What shifter is that? Also what is that rectangle gauge with the launch button in front of the shifter?
Shifter is a B&M Stealth Pro Ratchet. The rectangular gauge is my Leash boost/pulse controller box. It manages my boost levels and allows me to "bump" into the second beam.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

Nice! Are you using that boost leash with a 2 step?
Old 07-07-2017, 06:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by White 02 WS6
Nice! Are you using that boost leash with a 2 step?
Yes. I have a LNC-2000 from when the car was nitrous that I kept.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

Just found out it is probably going to be 2 more weeks until I get my turbo kit and don't have really much I can do until I receive that.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

My Huron turbo system is being delivered this week so my goal is to start it up by Friday. I still will have more work to finish up after that but it will be pretty nice to hear it for the first time. I am working out the scheduling between getting the downpipe made to my 4" Mufflex, the alignment, and the first drivability tune. I will need to jump on all of this since my tuner is going to drag week and will be out of pocket for a little while.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is an awesome build, noticed your FPR located below your Brake Master, looks clean, just make sure its ahead of the flywheel at least 6 inches if memory is good, NHRA rules, you can look up, that's why they don't allow attaching it to the firewall... looks close is all simple fix for sure...
Great build and should haul the mail for sure, really like the clean and freshly painted engine bay!! In for some great results!!
Old 07-23-2017, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rudy72
This is an awesome build, noticed your FPR located below your Brake Master, looks clean, just make sure its ahead of the flywheel at least 6 inches if memory is good, NHRA rules, you can look up, that's why they don't allow attaching it to the firewall... looks close is all simple fix for sure...
Great build and should haul the mail for sure, really like the clean and freshly painted engine bay!! In for some great results!!
Thanks for the insight. I should be good on the 6" but will double check when I get home. I need to get one of those rule books since I need to get certified down to 8.50.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rudy72
Thanks for the insight. I just checked and that is going to be real close on the 6" but will double check once the engine is in. I need to get one of those rule books since I need to get certified down to 8.50.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good, you could be fine, hard to see the relation with the flywheels and all... build looks awesome, wished I had the time to invest in my build... enjoy that sweet ride you have there!!

Quick Reply: Silverback build thread - 347 S485 TH400