Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

White specks on pistons and heads, also issues

Old 09-14-2017, 05:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I try to read your posts, note I said try, but everytime I find myself passing after a couple of sentences. After this post, all I could think of was a movie quote.

"At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Old 09-14-2017, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

w a t
Old 09-14-2017, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by etijsma
I try to read your posts, note I said try, but everytime I find myself passing after a couple of sentences. After this post, all I could think of was a movie quote.

"At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Man I'm glad I called that guy
Old 09-14-2017, 07:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by etijsma

I <3 Billy Madison!
Old 09-15-2017, 04:41 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

hey, readin's not fer everybody
Old 09-15-2017, 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
hey, readin's not fer everybody
And apparently neither is self awareness or being concise.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:05 PM
Banned

Or maybe its my way of protecting and encoding information which is extremely valuable from those who don't deserve it.

Anybody that has done an MS or PhD in mechanical engineering would think my post was childish and entry-level, common sense. So I made it thinking " this is too simple " which is often how I need to think when posting on this site for some reason. Hmmm wonder why

Lets talk more about the problem. White specks. Flecks of aluminum. Let me see where did I see that before- ah yes. We had a 2.0L engine with an OEM turbocharger making 280rwhp (2002 nissan silvia motor). SOmebody boought the car and turned it up past 18psi (turbo is too small) it ran lean/detonated like crazy and had this melty which specks all over the place, deck and block was trashed after that from all the pitting.

Fast forward, I had a built 2.0 (forgies) run lean on the dyno for several passes (15:1~) at 18-22psi of boost (400~ horsepower) and it never detonated. It never pitted and destroyed the engine the way the one above did. Both engines using the same fuel, same head, pretty much identical inside, The only difference between them, was the temperature at the inlet of the engine, the built engine had the proper size compressor so the inlet temp was not extremely hot. It prevented detonation/white flecks/damage but it got so hot the piston rings lost tension and it needed a re-ring. I did and it runs again perfect to this day (that was ten years ago)

The bottom line here from thermodynamics point of view and experience both say that inlet air temp/combustion starting temp are the major factors when discussing severe engine ruining detonation/pitting/melting behaviors on 93 octane. the EGT becomes an "afterlook" wherever it is. If I had an EGT on the dyno I would have seen probably 2000*F for it to ruin those rings.

Last edited by kingtal0n; 09-15-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:10 PM
10 Second Club

Or maybe its my way of protecting and encoding information which is extremely valuable from those who don't deserve it.

Anybody that has done an MS or PhD in mechanical engineering would think my post was childish and entry-level, common sense. So I made it thinking " this is too simple " which is often how I need to think when posting on this site for some reason. Hmmm wonder why
Nope,that's not it. You can get off your high horse though. Nobody's complaining about choice of wording....it's about the obnoxiously long posts. If you think you need to think simply when on this site then that's probably a problem. Plenty of in-depth technical topics are discussed and others dont have trouble conveying their message in a fraction of the words. Probably a skill you should work on.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:17 PM
Banned

The book of anatomy and physiology is 'long'. The book of neural science is 'long'.

My posts are not long. People are just lazy. Stop being lazy

Lots of people are here that are popular are able to give the popular short concise answers. So there is no need for me to fill this role.
Instead, I fill the unpopular role (no desire to be popular) of writing for those who wish to read.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:50 PM
10 Second Club

The book of anatomy and physiology is 'long'. The book of neural science is 'long'.

My posts are not long. People are just lazy. Stop being lazy

Lots of people are here that are popular are able to give the popular short concise answers. So there is no need for me to fill this role.
Instead, I fill the unpopular role (no desire to be popular) of writing for those who wish to read.
Why is it so difficult for you to understand that if people want to read a book they will, by someone who is accredited, not still in school. It's a car forum, not a book. Stop being naive and ignorant.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

i'm convinced he's some sort of darpa AI test project

either that or a 19 year old about 3/4 the way up the autism spectrum
Old 09-16-2017, 08:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
And apparently neither is self awareness or being concise.
This sentence is an absolute GEM.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Why does every thread have to be completely derailed due to that guy? Can we please just ban him so we can have constructive conversations again.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Game ova
This sentence is an absolute GEM.
I try lol. How's the car coming, you decide what rearend you're going with?
Old 09-16-2017, 09:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
I try lol. How's the car coming, you decide what rearend you're going with?
Just put the car up on stands yesterday and ordered transmission parts last night. Man, right now....i think I'm just going to put a new yoke on this one and putt around till I find a good deal on one AND at a time that I'm ready. Just bought a new daily so I'm not exactly eager to throw down a bunch of bread on the fun car.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Why is everyone getting boners over EGT sensors?

Its a drag car running really good fuel, it never sees wide open for more that 10-11 seconds at a time.

They would be nice to use to balance power in each hole but it's not like he's running pump gas either

People have gone faster on less tech than what's being used in this truck. 3 page tirade over this is insane, he would be better off sticking a fuel pressure sensor on there before anything else
Old 09-17-2017, 06:57 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Game ova
Just put the car up on stands yesterday and ordered transmission parts last night. Man, right now....i think I'm just going to put a new yoke on this one and putt around till I find a good deal on one AND at a time that I'm ready. Just bought a new daily so I'm not exactly eager to throw down a bunch of bread on the fun car.
Good deal, that makes sense. But no need to putt around, just no hitting the transbrake. Plenty of fun to be had still. Looking forward to when you get a rearend under that thing.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Exhaust Manifold Pressure = Valve Float

HI TaxMan, your "tech" was TOTALLY UNOBSERVED !

YOU stated NEW Exhaust Valves, Pushrods, etc. were required.
I asked for an EMAP read ? (not stated)
The exhaust pressure in the manifold will UNSEAT the exhaust valve if greater than the seat pressure needed to seat the valve. (valve area x EMAP)
This will cause the problems you have stated.

I sell a gauge, twin pointer with one needle over top of the other, for an easy track read of MAP/EMAP.
The pointers are painted Blue and Red.

NONE her fit this type of meter AND when fitted/read, that person will learn MORE about turbo performance than the total of ALL other S/C engine experience combined.

Lance
Old 09-17-2017, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, this one is getting out of hand. LOL.. But its also fun to read "most of it" and watch.

Again, EGT's for me would just be a way to confirm readings. Yea, it can also help tune each cylinder. Yes, there are ups and downs to them.

EMAP, yea I want to read this as well. Readings are a good thing, so if I am capable why not read them? I actually want to find out what my pressure losses are in my IC and the piping.

Also remember, this is my first ever turbo build, and running a turbo system. So I am learning as I go.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Lance in all of his logs I never once really detected a misfire, either by unotable engine speed or irregular lambda.

First few outings with the truck it would do really really well, chassis was working etc.

Then it all went to ****.

Emp readings would be nice but assuming no hardware issues I don't find its use past finding when the turbine has reached its choke point

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: White specks on pistons and heads, also issues