Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Staggered turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by truckdoug
did you also run a turbo feeding a maggie? i'd love to see pics of these set ups if you have a link!
Yes I did. Both setups worked well and I did full builds on them on Performancetrucks.net but Photobucket killed all the pics last month...
Old 07-12-2017, 06:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

a sequential setup is really simple and foolproof. all you need to ad to a twin kit are two valves.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dian
a sequential setup is really simple and foolproof. all you need to ad to a twin kit are two valves.
And a cross over between the turbos.
And a controller to control when the valves open
And a million miles testing to ensure smooth transition from 1 turbo to two.....

Then you can think about the nice to haves:

Speed senor on both turbos so you can actually see what they are doing and map engine rpm, throttle position, boost, maf flow, turbo rpm,.....
Electronic actuators for valves
Again more testing as as soon as you change anything it will impact the system.

There is a reason that NO OEMs use sequential turbos on any of there gas powered cars (even BMW who know how to do it on a diesel)! It's too bloody complicated and NOT needed with decent turbo selection and optimised engine config.

You if really want instant spool with a turbo setup (assuming you need it) then use a little N2O to light it off.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:59 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

http://my.prostreetonline.com/2014/1...ential-turbos/
Old 07-13-2017, 03:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

They used to do sequential turbos on the Ford Super Duty trucks. Later on they switched to variable geometry turbos. I know it works, but it seems like sizing your turbo and doing the installation right negates the need for it in a performance car. In the diesel trucks there was a need to provide both low end torque and power in the upper RPM ranges. Two things that weren't possible any other way until the move to variable geometry turbochargers.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by chuntington101
And a cross over between the turbos.
And a controller to control when the valves open
And a million miles testing to ensure smooth transition from 1 turbo to two.....

Then you can think about the nice to haves:

Speed senor on both turbos so you can actually see what they are doing and map engine rpm, throttle position, boost, maf flow, turbo rpm,.....
Electronic actuators for valves
Again more testing as as soon as you change anything it will impact the system.

There is a reason that NO OEMs use sequential turbos on any of there gas powered cars (even BMW who know how to do it on a diesel)! It's too bloody complicated and NOT needed with decent turbo selection and optimised engine config.

You if really want instant spool with a turbo setup (assuming you need it) then use a little N2O to light it off.
every single has a crossover, you use a wastegate actuator and no million miles, it will just work like that. no need to overcomplicate it.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dian
every single has a crossover, you use a wastegate actuator and no million miles, it will just work like that. no need to overcomplicate it.
If it's so easy why are people doing it? Sound performance did it on a supra but it was a huge mess of piping and didnt go any faster than a normal single turbo.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see it working in practice. But I think there are just too many hurdles to jump if the amature guy. As said before even OEMs do t bother with it these days. Porsche went VGT even though there weren't turbos out there that could take the heat of gas engines. Even the hyper cars haven't bothered with VGT.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
I dont think Sequential is the same thing as a 'compound', isnt compound when there are two different size turbos?
Its nothing like a compound set up. The only similarity is that there are 2 turbos.

I have set up compounds on 4 bangers, diesels, and petrol V8s. They work great when done right.

Quick Reply: Staggered turbo setup