Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twin Holset kit for L33 which models for under 600 hp

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 05:58 PM
F68
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Yes...on stock compression 5.7 and 6.0 motors not low CR 5.3 and 4.8 builds.
I think you are confused.
the 243 and 799 the other guy asked about is higher compression, the 317 is all the same as those but with the bigger chamber it lowers the comp of whatever its put on.
and the 243 was used back in 2001 ish they were casttech heads and probably should be avoided if someone is scouting for a set-- they have the doubleAA battery cast mark at top right under the rocker rail. the good 243's have the -- aw **** it, I probably wont get thru to you people anyway.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

243s didn't have the castech casting porosity issues the 706 5.3 heads did.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:36 PM
F68
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
i drove my chinese turbos to work today, same as i have every day for a few years now, and youre still dreaming.
which is better, chinese turbos on a running car or your holset on a dealers shelf collecting dust?
Ah such a trendsetter,
Seems like the thread was started a few days ago-- not 2015
Old 08-14-2017, 06:46 PM
F68
Staging Lane

I still have a few stashed if I wanted to run a single..... the he341ve VGT would be a good choice (edit--it MIGHT work out) . but it is pretty heavy. As far as this forum, im not pushing turbos here, and im not offering any for sale here either, im not a vendor here.

Mouse over to Zoom
- Mouse over to Zoom
-

Last edited by F68; 08-14-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

This thread reminds of something gamy grandpa once said to me while he was still with us. Some people in life are ********, but if you think everyone is an ******* it's probably you that's the *******. This dude has gone after every single person that has commented anything other than you're a genius. He's been hostile and racist in most of his posts it's become quite clear in this thread who the real ******* is. If you're so determined and you think you know everything delete you're account run your shitty set up and don't come bitching when you get out ran at the track by those Chinese turbos
Old 08-14-2017, 07:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by F68
I think you are confused.
the 243 and 799 the other guy asked about is higher compression, the 317 is all the same as those but with the bigger chamber it lowers the comp of whatever its put on.
and the 243 was used back in 2001 ish they were casttech heads and probably should be avoided if someone is scouting for a set-- they have the doubleAA battery cast mark at top right under the rocker rail. the good 243's have the -- aw **** it, I probably wont get thru to you people anyway.
Actually I think you're confused. I've ran 317 heads and yes they are 72cc heads that are used on 5.7 and 6.0 motors to drop compression....and are a complete waste of money on a 4.8 or 5.3 motor as it makes the compression very low.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:49 PM
Launching!

There's a gentleman on youtube, (divinespeed) is the channel, with a single hx35 on a stock 5.3 with ls7 cam. Not sure how much power he's making but it lights off instantly!! He seems happy with it. I would imagine 2 would work very well considering your goals.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:58 PM
F68
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by silvea
This thread reminds of something gamy grandpa once said to me while he was still with us. Some people in life are ********, but if you think everyone is an ******* it's probably you that's the *******. This dude has gone after every single person that has commented anything other than you're a genius. He's been hostile and racist in most of his posts it's become quite clear in this thread who the real ******* is. If you're so determined and you think you know everything delete you're account run your shitty set up and don't come bitching when you get out ran at the track by those Chinese turbos
Whatev - no I haven't been hostile and racist in most posts, check post #2 YOU are the punk that started the troll crap here.
At least you are interested in vehicles, more that not -your age could not care less about cool cars.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would certainly hope that a hx35 would light off quickly on a 5.3... Its a tiny *** turbo... Thing barely flows 52lbs per minute. In addition to that that little thing would choke a V8 fast as fk. DSM guys like to run them on 2.0L engines and even on a smaller engine they struggle to barely eclipse 600hp. On a 5.3 it would be lucky to make 525hp. Its barely going to make more power than an NA build...
Old 08-14-2017, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by silvea
I would certainly hope that a hx35 would light off quickly on a 5.3... Its a tiny *** turbo... Thing barely flows 52lbs per minute. In addition to that that little thing would choke a V8 fast as fk. DSM guys like to run them on 2.0L engines and even on a smaller engine they struggle to barely eclipse 600hp. On a 5.3 it would be lucky to make 525hp. Its barely going to make more power than an NA build...
the OP stated he wasn't looking for "BIG" power and he wanted twin Holsets so I'm just giving him an example of someone using a single on a 5.3. Twins should work well for what he's doing. The choice is his though
Old 08-15-2017, 06:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

No head studs on the 4.8 deal..... it was not put together to push that hard. Just saying that with a stock 4.8 and the stock 12cm housings the H1c is a little lazy for a street driving. I also ran one on a DSM and it took lots of boost (30+) to get it to make power, the kind of boost (pressure ratio) that your average LS guy is not going to run.
If I was going to try and run a Holset for serious work, I would try a pair of HX35's with the Bulls Eye Performance T3 housings on a 5.3. Then do all the work to hold the heads down....... but a set of china gt35's or a Borg S200's would be cheaper.
Not telling anybody what to do, just relating my experience.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 446 Likes on 338 Posts

maybe when you get it done you can tape a $100 bill to the dash and take us kids for a ride
Old 08-15-2017, 09:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread sucks.

All I have to say is Holset was my jam back in the day on smaller engines between 2-3 liters. I had a lot of success with them given my resources, and high school/college kid budget. Many people did, which drove the cost of the used holsets up. Now china turbos or as you like to call them "slant eyed" turbos are so well proven and reliable enough for the price tag that holsets and other turbo diesel OEM turbos are fading out. I still want to do a twin HX35 on a LS some day. If I could get 2 HX35's for $100 each like they use to be 15 years ago, I would throw a twin kit together and run it.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:19 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I ran 10s with a Holset H1C on a 2.4L 4 cylinder in a 1997 Dodge Neon.
It was pretty much a crap turbo that was only made worthwhile by the upgraded compressor wheel and turbine housing.

The problem with using Holsets as twins for 600 HP with fast spool is that they weren't designed for this. The wheel technology is older and heavier. They were so inefficient that the wheel sizes themselves were huge for the amount of power they were expected to make. Sure you can get 600 HP, but they will spool much slower than you want them to. If you're dead set on not running a Chinese turbo, then at least pick something that isn't half-assed.

317s on a flat top 5.3 isn't so bad. It will put compression somewhere around what a dished 5.3 would have with stock 5.3 heads. In my opinion, its unnecessary. All of the fastest 5.3s are running 243/799 heads (and they're all L33s, BTW). I've topped out my 80 lb injectors running a 66 PSI base pressure on pump gas with a stock L33 long block (9.9:1) at 26 PSI. 600 HP has come and gone a long time ago.

243 Castech heads didn't have the cracking issues that the 706 heads did. I'm not even sure how you would draw the conclusion that 2 complete separate castings would have the same issue.

Your knowledge of how turbos work is lacking as well. You can't compare how a turbo performs on a diesel vs a gas engine. To quote something that says an HX35 is able to make 35 to 40 PSI on a 5.9 cummins and then say "the boost these make , im thinking a pair of these is overkill." You'll NEVER get even a pair of them to make 40 PSI on a 6.0 LS engine. You're trying to compare an engine that flowed far less air at a given RPM, revved to half the RPM that a factory LS would, and would have completely different efficiency relationships on a given turbo.

The attitude sucks. You come here asking for advice, but you're so dead set on running a combo that you have zero experience with that you're trash talking the guys that have done this time and time again. Your knowledge seems to be limited.

Don't want to embarrass yourself? Don't act like the grumpy senile old man that everyone knows is a fool but he won't admit it.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova

Don't want to embarrass yourself? Don't act like the grumpy senile old man that everyone knows is a fool but he won't admit it.
That's it! Get off my lawn!!!
Old 08-15-2017, 02:24 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by project gattago
that's it! Get off my lawn!!!
hahaha
Old 08-15-2017, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get that old fellar JoeNova!
Old 08-15-2017, 06:07 PM
F68
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by drecpt83
There's a gentleman on youtube, (divinespeed) is the channel, with a single hx35 on a stock 5.3 with ls7 cam. Not sure how much power he's making but it lights off instantly!! He seems happy with it. I would imagine 2 would work very well considering your goals.
Thanks again , im eyeing some other models that also wont choke at the top. -if the big models don't sell - ill have to generate the funds to play elseway,(and cover the bills)

Last edited by F68; 08-15-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:08 PM
F68
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JoeNova
I ran 10s with a Holset H1C on a 2.4L 4 cylinder in a 1997 Dodge Neon.
It was pretty much a crap turbo that was only made worthwhile by the upgraded compressor wheel and turbine housing.

The problem with using Holsets as twins for 600 HP with fast spool is that they weren't designed for this. The wheel technology is older and heavier. They were so inefficient that the wheel sizes themselves were huge for the amount of power they were expected to make. Sure you can get 600 HP, but they will spool much slower than you want them to. If you're dead set on not running a Chinese turbo, then at least pick something that isn't half-assed.

317s on a flat top 5.3 isn't so bad. It will put compression somewhere around what a dished 5.3 would have with stock 5.3 heads. In my opinion, its unnecessary. All of the fastest 5.3s are running 243/799 heads (and they're all L33s, BTW). I've topped out my 80 lb injectors running a 66 PSI base pressure on pump gas with a stock L33 long block (9.9:1) at 26 PSI. 600 HP has come and gone a long time ago.

243 Castech heads didn't have the cracking issues that the 706 heads did. I'm not even sure how you would draw the conclusion that 2 complete separate castings would have the same issue.

Your knowledge of how turbos work is lacking as well. You can't compare how a turbo performs on a diesel vs a gas engine. To quote something that says an HX35 is able to make 35 to 40 PSI on a 5.9 cummins and then say "the boost these make , im thinking a pair of these is overkill." You'll NEVER get even a pair of them to make 40 PSI on a 6.0 LS engine. You're trying to compare an engine that flowed far less air at a given RPM, revved to half the RPM that a factory LS would, and would have completely different efficiency relationships on a given turbo.

The attitude sucks. You come here asking for advice, but you're so dead set on running a combo that you have zero experience with that you're trash talking the guys that have done this time and time again. Your knowledge seems to be limited.

Yes smashing........

You clearly have everything figured out

You may be seated.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:09 PM
F68
Staging Lane

All you young punks --go back to tryin to suck yer own *****.

Quick Reply: Twin Holset kit for L33 which models for under 600 hp