Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Any LS1 with Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the manafolds them selves fit, just not the turbos on to the manafolds the vette has more clearance on the sides, mainly the passenger side.
if you look at the incon manafold the passenger one has the flange down further so the turbo is near the bottom of the car, so it can fit.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ANd ok we all had our fun but lets just keep it civil now on and stop ragging the newb.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I could make it work with some time to tweek things a bit....

The turbine housing can be bolted to the mani more than one way. Compressor housings can be clocked.. Also sometimes things in the way in an engine bay can be moved/removed.......

Your probably right that the kit could'nt be installed in a G4 Fbody exactly the same way as in a C5.

I prefer a cast mani on a turbo system over tubular for durablility and I'm pretty sure that I could gently make them work...

Heat and vibration combined with the weight of a turbo on the collector eventually breaks welds on tubular turbo headers...

I even run a cast o2 housing....

Old 07-02-2004, 02:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by V8_DSM_V8again
I prefer a cast mani on a turbo system over tubular for durablility and I'm pretty sure that I could gently make them work...

Heat and vibration combined with the weight of a turbo on the collector eventually breaks welds on tubular turbo headers...
All depends on the material used. We have 10+ year old tubular cartech mild steel kit that is still going....no cracks, leaks..etc. And its been hanging a T76 for its entire life time. If you build a header out of a cheap grade Stainless 304, then yeah..it will crack.

Jose
Old 07-02-2004, 03:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JZ 97 SS 1500
All depends on the material used. We have 10+ year old tubular cartech mild steel kit that is still going....no cracks, leaks..etc. And its been hanging a T76 for its entire life time. If you build a header out of a cheap grade Stainless 304, then yeah..it will crack.

Jose
That sounds like it was built right...

I have seen and experienced other problems with even just normal headers... Cold water from the road or a washer fluid hose pop off getting sprayed on a hot spot and then there is a big hole in the tube...

I'm not saying it does'nt have its place... I'm just saying that their is a lower failure rate on good castings than on tubular systems... Just thinner material and more dependant on the fabricator to do it right... Cast stuff can be mass produced and hold a good QC.. a tube turbo header better be built by someone who knows what they are doing...

Hell my ported factory 4g63 mani has some heat cracks but no leaks.... Between the head and turbo gets pretty fn hot.. Have someone with a modded turbo car pop their hood at night and look at the turbine housing.... It will glow if they have floored it recently.... Which is why I like cast stuff, use heat sheilds and high perf insulation everywhere... also run a turbo timer or idle for 2 mins if you have been doing spirited driving....

Quick Reply: Any LS1 with Turbo?