Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Going for twin GT35's. Hoping to use two stock passenger side manifolds...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

As I'm getting close to finishing the drivers side, I realize I have to make some pie cuts out of the schedule 40 steel to mate the flange to the manifold.
That should be fun... ugh....
Old 07-23-2018, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

I thought I'd posted the last pic's before I interrupted the install. When the weather started getting good, I put the PT7675 single back on so I could enjoy the car. I felt like I had at least a months worth of work remaining to finish the twins. Good driving weather in upstate NY is in short supply, so I've been driving the car. At any rate, here's the last few pic's of the twins installed. They're on the shelf in the shop now. I'll resume the install this winter.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

So the snow has returned to Upstate NY and as such, the attempt for the twins install renews. Bought this twin oil feed Gen 3 timing cover so I can get a gravity feed to the drains.

I'll have to round up all the oil lines and various other pieces 'Twin' related to get this going again. Really looking forward to firing her up in the next month or so.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:29 PM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice! Looks like the ICT cover. I have the same one except for front mount cam sensor.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, it is the ICT for 3rd gen LS. The Turbowerx pump has done well for the low hung PT76 but I'll be glad to go back to a gravity drain. I've always worried about the electric pump failing at some point on a drive or at the track.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:36 AM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mightyquickz28
Yes, it is the ICT for 3rd gen LS. The Turbowerx pump has done well for the low hung PT76 but I'll be glad to go back to a gravity drain. I've always worried about the electric pump failing at some point on a drive or at the track.
Good choice, mine works great. I have seen those pumps fail on the STS kits.......not pretty.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Saves weight and is more compact.

I think the camera angle makes the stainless housing look larger in diameter here.

Looks like the area is not quite as large. Not sure.

Looks nice.

2.00" outlet.

2.0" Turbine inbound.

3.0" Turbine outlet.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

I had typed some text ahead of the pictures above but for whatever reason, it didn't keep them. Here's what I had...

I bought these two GT35 a few years ago. I *almost* had them ready to go this past spring but ran out of bad weather(winter) so I put the single PT7675 so I could drive it. Well, with Winter back I'm back to the twins install. I'd noticed about a year ago that ON3 had some nice stainless steel turbine housings (both .82 and 1.06 A/R's are available) for my GT35's. With them, smaller package, no rust, and comes with Vband couplings for the turbines inlet and outlet. I ordered two and they came in today.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Those stainless housings look nice! I was JUST looking at those yesterday. I don't think I can pull the trigger on the stainless housings at this point. I certainly think I am swapping to the twins. Are the pics with dimensions shown accurate? I believe they are shown at like 8" x 8" x 10" (from edge to outside edge of the outlet) if that makes sense.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

I had not thought to measure it in those dimensions but it looks like you're on the money.
It's somewhat hard to see that I'm measuring from the far side with the phone camera but I assure you, the end of the tape is approximated over the other edge.

Originally Posted by rpturbo
Those stainless housings look nice! I was JUST looking at those yesterday. I don't think I can pull the trigger on the stainless housings at this point. I certainly think I am swapping to the twins. Are the pics with dimensions shown accurate? I believe they are shown at like 8" x 8" x 10" (from edge to outside edge of the outlet) if that makes sense.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

BTW, they have these same v-banded housings in Cast Iron as well. They are $20 less expensive. The web site doesn't portray that for some reason, it only mentions stainless. But they called me to make sure I wanted the stainless.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

I just ordered some schedule 10 stainless EL's and straight tube to revamp my setup. You're correct. The 10 is still extremely stout looking and lighter. Thanks for the tip!
Originally Posted by Floader
Sch 40 is kinda excessive, Sch 10 works really well and is much nicer to work with.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

As usual, 2 steps forward, 1 step back.
I got the housings and went to trial fit them. Found that the outer rim of the housing flange is larger than my 2.25" vband. Went back to on3s site to see if they had a proprietary vband flange. It 'appeared' they did. Expensive though. $90 for two. It comes with the clamp and ONE side of the vband because presumably, the flange 'complements' the one already on the SS housing, right? Well, they arrive and, ugh.. they have a male lip on them that doesn't have a corresponding 'female' inset. I called them and asked if they'd inadvertently sent the wrong side of the Vband flange. He stammered a bit and said they wouldn't be getting any new Vbands for another 3 weeks.

I'm just going to use my prior 2.25" female half to finish the kit for now. While a female side wouldn't have anything to center the flange, at least the outer perimeter would match and the flange surfaces could mate flatly.

[img][/img]
My prior 2.25" female flange. This has the proper pipe size but the outer perimeter is smaller than the outer flange built onto the SS housing

Showing you the outside diameter of the stainless housings 2.25" flange. Just shy of 3.0".

This shows the diameter of the inset of the SS housing. Too small for the male lip on the ON3 supplied male flange.

Showing the outside diameter of the ON3 supplied 2.25" Male flange

Shows the diameter of the male lip on the ON3 Supplied male flange. Too large to fit into the recess on the SS housing.

Shows the outer diameter difference of my prior 2.25" vband clamp and the ON3 supplied 2.25" flange.

Shows how the male lip on the ON3 supplied Male flange won't sit flat on the SS housing flange.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Well that kind of sucks about the V band deal. I guess you could always cut off theirs, and weld on a standard one. Thanks for the measurements! Those would fit some much easier for me than the TC78.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

For some reason, the last two post I've put out have omitted the text I'd typed. It's keeping the pictures but not the text.

Anyway, with the passing of the holidays, I'm now able to get back to working on the car an hour here, an hour there, per day. I got the drivers side mounted up. I cut up the last iteration of the manifolds to allow for use of the new V-Band stainless steel housings. It's going from stock truck manifold(passenger sides only), to 2.5" schedule 40 steel, to schedule 10 stainless, then a stainless transition to the 2.25" V-band. I also repositioned the turbos to get the turbo more in line with the manifolds. The location is a compromise in that I can't put the nice sized air filter directly on the compressor inlet like before, but I can use a 4.0" to 3.0" elbow reducer to get cool air from a filter that will be In the fender recess. The compressor outlet (2.5") will be enabled by drilling a 3.0" hole-saw into the panel behind the headlight recesses. It'll take a quick 90 degree Elbow, then pass down into to the front mount intercooler. I'll either have to send one side of the outlets over to the other side to go into the existing FMIC or get a second FMIC and figure out how to get it routed to the Throttle body. Since I'm running E85 I don't necessarily need an Intercooler in the circuit, So I may even try just running from the outlets to the TB and bypass the FMIC altogether for a trial period.

On the downpipe, I may run twin 3.0" back or merge the two 3.0" into a 4.0". I have a tubular K member to install so if I have time before Spring, I'll try to get that installed as well.

Last edited by mightyquickz28; 01-02-2019 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Text not showing up.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice work Dave!!!
Old 01-02-2019, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Looking good!
Old 01-06-2019, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Got the drivers side setup and trying to get the passenger side turbo the same height , inset, distance from the fender etc. So difficult doing things by yourself. I decided to fabricate a 'holder' using a T4 to 3" Vband adaptor, some angle iron and use a jack stand/C-Clamp to help keep the dang thing in place while I mock up the pie cuts, measure, trial fit.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Clever!
Old 01-09-2019, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

A bit more progress tonight.
Done:
  1. Drivers side and passenger side manifolds
  2. Where I'm going to mount the air filters
  3. Routing design on turbo outlets to TB
To be done:
  1. Welding up 3.0" turbo exhaust outlets to existing Borla catback.
  2. Have to buy one more -3an oil feed with 90 degree on one end.
  3. Welding the JGS wastegates V-band fittings.
  4. Welding the Tial bypass V-band fittings.

Just to get it going, I'm bypassing the FMIC and going to go right into a 4.0" merge to the TB.
Plug wires and plug changes should be a breeze now with the stock truck manifolds, at least compared to the tubular headers I had.
Looks like I can keep stock coil mounts but the passenger side wires might be 90 degree boots. Have to see.

Have to get a different (90 degree elbowed) 3an oil feed for the passenger side.

Plenty of clearance. The 'x' is where Im going to mount the JGS wastegate.

Quick Reply: Going for twin GT35's. Hoping to use two stock passenger side manifolds...