Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Winter project ideas

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 07:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter project ideas

Was going thru the shop looking at spare parts the other day looking for a winter project and would like to gets some recommendations. Have a new stock 5.3 block, set of 243 heads, C&S 850 blowthru and a D1-SC. Thought about building a little grudge car on a 94 Camaro donor car. Here's my original thoughts.
Thinking about forged piston/rods and stock crank. Looking for around 700 hp so thought stock crank can handle that. Wondering if I should leave it 5.3 for extra wall thickness or bore to 5.7 for more available parts. Would like to get compression around 10.1 : 1 as I will be running E85. I mix my own from E98 as I run it in my bracket car. Plan on getting heads reworked, though have not ruled out a set of AFR's. Contacted Bob at Brutespeed on what I need for the Procharger. Also will get one of the vendors here build a custom grind cam once all specs are finalized. One concern I have is that the 850 is to large for this build. Another question I have is that if use studs for the heads, could I kick up CR to around 10.5 to 11. Let me hear your ideas and thoughts. Thanks
Old 10-10-2017, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Sounds like you have a nice assortment of stuff, but before anything can really be answered, whats the budget?

ON my cheap *** budget, I would hand port the 243 heads, and mill them to get the compression you want/change the pistons to 4.8's to bump compression, leave the 5.3 bore (obviously with the 4.8 pistons) ,use the cash from the heads (well not buying new heads) to get a QF carb and let it eat. Had good luck with C&S in the past, and they are even local to me, but the last Quick Fuel carb was great! We don't mess with carbs any more though.

Quick Reply: Winter project ideas