Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Finally got the D1SC to the track...Like a walk in the park

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on getting her all finished up and out to the track. Nice results and room for more.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Originally Posted by conan
Congrats on getting her all finished up and out to the track. Nice results and room for more.
Thanks, it felt good to finally make some passes. Been a long time since I went to the track.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:22 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Nice job. Us drive to the track guys are always happy when we pull into the garage after a night of racing. I’ve been doing it for 20 plus years.

Centri’s are nice. Won’t overwhelm the tires at the launch and once the revs are up and going through the gears the power is there.
I tuned a lot of Hemis equipped with them.

The belt slip is an issue and will drive you nuts. Should be a fix for that.

Had a Jeep on the dyno with an F1A still 6 rib and it smoked the belt. Literally.

I have a Performabuilt level 2 in my Vette. It’s always been shifted at 6600-6900 depending on the tune. 200 plus passes. Still works excellent. So I’m not sure where the rpm fear comes from? It’s a low 11 second car. Ran one 10.99

Keep up the good work!

Ron
Old 11-09-2017, 12:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Nice job. Us drive to the track guys are always happy when we pull into the garage after a night of racing. I’ve been doing it for 20 plus years.

Centri’s are nice. Won’t overwhelm the tires at the launch and once the revs are up and going through the gears the power is there.

Had a Jeep on the dyno with an F1A still 6 rib and it smoked the belt. Literally.

I have a Performabuilt level 2 in my Vette. It’s always been shifted at 6600-6900 depending on the tune. 200 plus passes. Still works excellent. So I’m not sure where the rpm fear comes from? It’s a low 11 second car. Ran one 10.99

Keep up the good work!

Ron
RPM is what kills sprags, especially if it's on a heavy drum behind a high powered/ high torque machine. I have no idea, but just guessing....maybe your built transmission has a lighter drum which is helping it live.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:25 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
RPM is what kills sprags, especially if it's on a heavy drum behind a high powered/ high torque machine. I have no idea, but just guessing....maybe your built transmission has a lighter drum which is helping it live.
I believe it has the Sonax drum. I would have built it myself but knew nothing about it. Other than it’s an evolution of the 700R4 that was designed to handle maybe 200hp.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:08 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RonSSNova

Keep up the good work!

Ron
Thanks Ron. I think we kind of exhale when pulling into the garage after lol.

As far as belt slip I've got a dual pulley idler setup so I'm surprised I get belt slip too. Im thinking something is flexing just enough. The RPM is concern is what gameova said....stock 4L60E and RPM's don't like each other lol. On the plus side....if I keep the RPM's down, I could move to a smaller pulley
Old 11-09-2017, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

What tensioner do you have on the J bracket ? Do you have a brace from the bottom of the J bracket to the engine ?
Old 11-09-2017, 01:24 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

What about the Aster bracket?
Old 11-09-2017, 03:44 PM
10 Second Club

Its an manual tensioner that I think is the stock Procharger supplied J bracket. I couldn't bring myself to spend another grand for the Aster bracket. If I was running double the boost then maybe. I would still expect to be able to run 7-10 psi without slip on an 8 rib setup with 2 idlers. Ive contemplated an extra bracket from the bottom of the J bracket to the motor, but haven't dug into it much yet.

I also can't get anyone to give me a good feel on what boost I SHOULD be making at 6k with my setup. I am assuming an F13 and 1 7/8 headers will eat some boost.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:05 PM
Super Hulk Smash

I think you're probably about right. The cam is probably eating 1-2psi there. Ported heads and a FAST would eat another 2-3.

But you're right. The J setup and 8-rib shouldn't be slipping if you're using larger pullies.

It's one of those things that's driving me toward a turbo.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
I think you're probably about right. The cam is probably eating 1-2psi there. Ported heads and a FAST would eat another 2-3.

But you're right. The J setup and 8-rib shouldn't be slipping if you're using larger pullies.

It's one of those things that's driving me toward a turbo.
Have you hit up Alchemist or Detoxx? They seem to be good examples of blower setups running decent boost and power and seem to be really reliable.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:15 PM
Super Hulk Smash

I have.

Honestly, I could bolt a D1X on tomorrow, do a custom FMIC intercooler, and and it'd be pretty nice. And run well too.

The issue really is how loud the car would be. It's 80+db in the car all the time now. Going to a Procharger is going to make it worse. Much worse. And I want to keep the true duals. I just don't know how to quiet it down without killing flow given the space constraints and fitting a real muffler.

Turbo fixes that.

I know that's dumb. But it's the one thing that gives me pause with driving it everyday...
Old 11-10-2017, 07:20 AM
10 Second Club

Ever consider cutouts? Quiet the car down and then flip a switch when you want to be loud.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Ever consider cutouts? Quiet the car down and then flip a switch when you want to be loud.
Do not attempt to dissuade him.... he's on the right track.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Its an manual tensioner that I think is the stock Procharger supplied J bracket. I couldn't bring myself to spend another grand for the Aster bracket. If I was running double the boost then maybe. I would still expect to be able to run 7-10 psi without slip on an 8 rib setup with 2 idlers. Ive contemplated an extra bracket from the bottom of the J bracket to the motor, but haven't dug into it much yet.

I also can't get anyone to give me a good feel on what boost I SHOULD be making at 6k with my setup. I am assuming an F13 and 1 7/8 headers will eat some boost.
That is on the low side to have belt slip. What size crank and blower pulley are you running ? Once you slip the belt you'll fight it till the end... Swap it and move on. With the manual tensioner you'll be adjusting it more often to keep it tight as it stretches.

As far as a boost # its all in your combo. I went from a 346ci to a 383ci and lost 2.5 #'s of boost on the gauge and gained 78 hp at the tire. So many things can change the boost #, header size, cam size, cubic inches ect.

I'll snap you a pic of the brace I have going from my J bracket to the oil pan, and post it later. Not telling you to change anything because I know how it feels to get the combo working and enjoy it. But if your going to upgrade anything get a spring tensioner on the j bracket, either a used SDCE or the Aster. It makes all the difference, I have the SDCE spring tensioner J bracket and have zero belt slip... My belt is 2 years old.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:29 AM
10 Second Club

Just saying he could have the car running tomorrow with the D1X kit.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:31 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by conan
That is on the low side to have belt slip. What size crank and blower pulley are you running ? Once you slip the belt you'll fight it till the end... Swap it and move on. With the manual tensioner you'll be adjusting it more often to keep it tight as it stretches.

As far as a boost # its all in your combo. I went from a 346ci to a 383ci and lost 2.5 #'s of boost on the gauge and gained 78 hp at the tire. So many things can change the boost #, header size, cam size, cubic inches ect.

I'll snap you a pic of the brace I have going from my J bracket to the oil pan, and post it later. Not telling you to change anything because I know how it feels to get the combo working and enjoy it. But if your going to upgrade anything get a spring tensioner on the j bracket, either a used SDCE or the Aster. It makes all the difference, I have the SDCE spring tensioner J bracket and have zero belt slip... My belt is 2 years old.
Im definitely open to adding that brace to the J bracket. I know the Aster bracket is golden, just can't justify the cost. Post up that pic when you get a chance. I'm running the 7.625 ATI balancer and a 4" blower pulley.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:25 PM
Super Hulk Smash

It's a big show pleaser at Cars and Coffee and ****.

But cruising at 80 it's like I can't hear my boss stereo system. LOL.

If I could get the Huron Twin kit to fit with A/C... I'd do that with a pair of 67s and do the 383 I want to build. Because why not.

And I'd invest in the Aster. It may be hard to justify the cost, but if you're slipping the belt, that's like running a turbo and one of the manifolds has a giant hole it it and you can't spin up the turbo...
Old 11-10-2017, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
It's a big show pleaser at Cars and Coffee and ****.

But cruising at 80 it's like I can't hear my boss stereo system. LOL.

If I could get the Huron Twin kit to fit with A/C... I'd do that with a pair of 67s and do the 383 I want to build. Because why not.

And I'd invest in the Aster. It may be hard to justify the cost, but if you're slipping the belt, that's like running a turbo and one of the manifolds has a giant hole it it and you can't spin up the turbo...
Holy crap whats your exhaust setup? My car is plenty quiet to hold a normal conversation on the highway.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:30 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Kooks True Duals.

I swapped mufflers and it helped a little. I'm still 80+db in the car all the time. It's awesome!

Quick Reply: Finally got the D1SC to the track...Like a walk in the park