Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Supercharger vs Turbocharger on a 99 TA LS| Auto Trans

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 09:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
Honestly to me non of the things you listed are a negative. Not saying they are a positive so maybe we can just call them a neutral, lol.
Plenty of people on here have seen hot sides melt through brake/PS lines and wiring etc. That's not a negative? I said there are exceptions. People wrap the crap out of their hot side to prevent it but it happens to plenty of people and I can start listing members who it happened to. Its a fact of life something that gets to 1000* under the hood. Having had both, I can be subjective on the plus and minus of both, not just swinging on 1 side and ignoring the other.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
Not bashing, but I wouldn't dare put a transmission cooler on my intercooler. That is somewhat diminishing it's effectiveness. Sorry, I didn't read all the way down..... didn't see the rest.
I explained in my second post that the location of the oil cooler is a compromise. Same as the compromise that just about every car\truck on the planet has with the AC condenser mounted in front of the radiator (this compromises the efficiency of the radiator).

Then to make it worse the factory installs the transmission cooler immediately in front of the AC condenser on those vehicles with a cooler (this compromises the efficiency of the AC condenser).

So to compromise, the factory sizes each larger to account for the less than 100 percent efficiency/effectiveness of each unit.

But as I said, it's a work in progress. Currently the engine doesn't overheat, the cabin is cool (better than stock) and the tranny oil temp is very low and far south of overheating.

And the Alky Control pump takes care of the somewhat elevated IAT's when in boost with a shot of methanol.

But there is still a temp differential compared to what it could be with the tranny cooler in a different location. To account for that will be moving the tranny cooler off of the face of the FMIC, fan assist it, and run some hose to direct air flow to it so it will be getting a good shot of fresh air.

That, I think, will cover all of the bases (radiator,ac condenser, tranny cooler, and FMIC).

I'm not here to argue whether one system is better or worse than the other. There are negatives and positives with each system. I pointed out one of the negatives with the ATI system (IMO). Note - I have an ATI supercharger.

The op will have to make his own decision as to which system to get.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Plenty of people on here have seen hot sides melt through brake/PS lines and wiring etc. That's not a negative? I said there are exceptions. People wrap the crap out of their hot side to prevent it but it happens to plenty of people and I can start listing members who it happened to. Its a fact of life something that gets to 1000* under the hood. Having had both, I can be subjective on the plus and minus of both, not just swinging on 1 side and ignoring the other.
I guess since I have never experienced it is why. I did wrap my hotside but to me that was just part of the turbo kit install.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
I guess since I have never experienced it is why. I did wrap my hotside but to me that was just part of the turbo kit install.
What if I said I've seen kits that were wrapped and still melted stuff? Again, it doesn't mean turbo's suck. But its not all unicorns and rainbows. Both sides have plus and minus. Have you had a blower setup?
Old 04-11-2018, 10:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Want to change boost on the fly with a push of a few buttons supercharger can't do that want, want to bust out a tool kit change pullies, belts ect. To get more boost sorry turbos can't do that lol
Old 04-11-2018, 10:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

-Want to skip dealing with feed/return oiling or having to run a scavenge pump? Turbo can't do that.
- Want to avoid the additional hot side piping under the hood and having to insulate or wrap wiring/PS/brake lines so it doesn't melt stuff? Turbo cant do that.
-Want to be able to do a cam/crank pulley swap without a large compressor sitting in front of the motor? Turbo can't do that.
-Want to mess with people while sitting at a stop light or car show and drawing some attention while idling? Turbo can't do that.

See how that works? lol, there's positives/negatives to both. Just like there are exceptions to some of what you listed and some of what I listed.
I prefer to draw peoples attention by running out of their life at a furious pace, to the point that they didn't understand what just happened.... and ask me to pull over when I finally let up. With a SC you won't be doing people like that
Old 04-11-2018, 10:36 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by King23
Want to change boost on the fly with a push of a few buttons supercharger can't do that want, want to bust out a tool kit change pullies, belts ect. To get more boost sorry turbos can't do that lol
Actually you can. Ever heard of a wastegated blower setup?
Old 04-11-2018, 10:37 AM
10 Second Club

I prefer to draw peoples attention by running out of their life at a furious pace, to the point that they didn't understand what just happened.... and ask me to pull over when I finally let up. With a SC you won't be doing people like that
I've scared plenty with a blower. Don't forget the track vid I posted of me driving away with my little blower on a turbo 5.3. Dont be so jaded!
Old 04-11-2018, 10:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I've scared plenty with a blower. Don't forget the track vid I posted of me driving away with my little blower on a turbo 5.3. Dont be so jaded!
I'm sorry! I'm a little biased!
Old 04-11-2018, 10:42 AM
10 Second Club

I'm sorry! I'm a little biased!
haha
Old 04-11-2018, 10:49 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

-Want to skip dealing with feed/return oiling or having to run a scavenge pump? Turbo can't do that.
- Want to avoid the additional hot side piping under the hood and having to insulate or wrap wiring/PS/brake lines so it doesn't melt stuff? Turbo cant do that.
-Want to be able to do a cam/crank pulley swap without a large compressor sitting in front of the motor? Turbo can't do that.
-Want to mess with people while sitting at a stop light or car show and drawing some attention while idling? Turbo can't do that.

See how that works? lol, there's positives/negatives to both. Just like there are exceptions to some of what you listed and some of what I listed.
-Fbody problems
-Sounds like F-body problems
-Fbody problems.
-Anti-lag.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Some of it comes down to intended use/driving style and even transmission.
I like my LSA supercharger and 6-speed, The instant boost makes acceleration smooth between shifts with not a hint of lag. My truck is also setup for handling with wide tires and big brakes. If I were to go with more of a drag setup with an auto trans then I would probably go with a turbo or maybe a centri.
You can make good power with any of them so like others have said you have to look at what works best for you and go with it.

If you want to go old school pro street look you can run an old roots style blower also.... Not very practical compared everything else available now but you can still make good power and have some bling sticking out of the hood lol
Old 04-11-2018, 11:08 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JoeNova
-Fbody problems
-Sounds like F-body problems
-Fbody problems.
-Anti-lag.
Whats the title of the thread? "99 TA LS"...Fbody.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 117 Likes on 89 Posts

Actually you can. Ever heard of a wastegated blower setup?
That's the second time someone in this thread has denied the existence of boost control for supercharged setups, after describing how useful boost control is.

Why is it so rare? In theory it should just work and it should allow for a boost ****, boost coming on sooner, boost per gear... Does it not work well in practice? Or is it just that superchargers can work well enough without, so hardly anyone bothers?

I've been leaning that direction for my own car, but it seems to be rare... So i have to wonder if there's a good reason so few people do it, or if its just under-appreciated.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Look at it from the view that a centrifugal supercharger is basically a belt driven turbo you should be able to control boost without issue.
Hell I can even control boost on my LSA supercharger a little. It has an internal wastegate that I can control with the Holley EFI I'm running. I can't dial in the amount of boost so much but I can control the wastegate enough to turn boost on and off, I'm not sure that it would act fast enough or well enough to keep boost at a set pressure. I could hook up a faster acting actuator but I use all the boost I have now so it's pointless.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NSFW
That's the second time someone in this thread has denied the existence of boost control for supercharged setups, after describing how useful boost control is.

Why is it so rare? In theory it should just work and it should allow for a boost ****, boost coming on sooner, boost per gear... Does it not work well in practice? Or is it just that superchargers can work well enough without, so hardly anyone bothers?

I've been leaning that direction for my own car, but it seems to be rare... So i have to wonder if there's a good reason so few people do it, or if its just under-appreciated.
Basically you place a wastegate in the cold side instead of the hot side and use a boost controller like usual. You pulley it for max boost you want to see ever and it just bleeds boost in the cold side to your desired boost level.

The complaint people have is that you're overdriving the blower for a given boost level....i.e. the blower may be spinning for 10psi but youre only actually using 5psi with the controller. I still haven't heard of anything breaking or blowing it up by doing this. The added benefit of doing this is the lowend/area under the curve is also increased because the blower is spinning faster.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 117 Likes on 89 Posts

Does "overdriving the blower" really matter? (Provided you stay under the blower's max RPM, of course.) I mean, if airflow 5psi is vented (in that hypothetical example), so what if it's spinning fast enough that it would make 10psi without the wastegate? I'm guessing that stress on the belt/gears/bearings/vanes is more closely related to the actual boost than to the blower's speed. Seems like the earlier boost onset would be worth it.

On a related note, when tuning my Subaru it was really nice to be able to set the boost level with a manual boost controller. That gave me the ability to do repeated consistent pulls at any boost level, to dial in fueling and timing across the whole table. Or re-test the whole range just by twisting the **** between pulls. Now I wouldn't want to tune forced induction without that sort of convenience.

Last edited by NSFW; 04-11-2018 at 04:22 PM. Reason: job -> knob
Old 04-11-2018, 02:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NSFW
Does "overdriving the blower" really matter? (Provided you stay under the blower's max RPM, of course.) I mean, if airflow 5psi is vented (in that hypothetical example), so what if it's spinning fast enough that it would make 10psi without the wastegate? I'm guessing that stress on the belt/gears/bearings/vanes is more closely related to the actual boost than to the blower's speed. Seems like the earlier boost onset would be worth it.

On a related note, when tuning my Subaru it was really nice to be able to set the boost level with a manual boost controller. That gave me the ability to do repeated consistent pulls at any boost level, to dial in fueling and timing across the whole table. Or re-test the whole range just by twisting the job between pulls. Now I wouldn't want to tune forced induction without that sort of convenience.
I think the argument is just more wear and tear and potentially more heat generation, but in general, I agree that unless you're above the blowers max rpm it really shouldn't matter.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:30 AM
AZD
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have another question, does anyone know anyone any good turbo kits that have good price/performance that can get me into the 600/650 hp range? Also what will I need to upgrade to my car that's stock to have the turbo run? Fuel injection, Etc...?

My budget would be to try and get it under 10k, but I rather have to wait and get something good than rush something for cheap just to have it.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by AZD
I have another question, does anyone know anyone any good turbo kits that have good price/performance that can get me into the 600/650 hp range? Also what will I need to upgrade to my car that's stock to have the turbo run? Fuel injection, Etc...?

My budget would be to try and get it under 10k, but I rather have to wait and get something good than rush something for cheap just to have it.
Talk to the WS6 store about upgrading your fuel system to support your rwhp goals.
You will need to find a good tuner.

After these two items - you now have about $9k left

It adds/subtracts real quick. See the post in the sticky about the costs for forced induction.