Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oil catch can idea

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
A lot of people run them that way and it works fine but keep in mind you aren't keeping the motor as clean as it could be. The byproducts of combustion are pretty nasty and shorten the life of oil and are a major cause of sludge over time. I don't run a PCV system on all my engines but over time I can see the effects.
You think that frequent oil changes and engine rebuilds would solve that issue? I could see it being a long term issue with a DD street/strip car, less of a problem for a race only car. To each it's own I suppose
Old 04-15-2018, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

If you look at most race engines that don't have a vacuum pump, they vent to atmosphere..

Look at plumbing for a sprint car, AN12 off each valve cover to a cross over pipe with a couple filters on it to keep the engine clean when the motor goes to vacuum state in the crankcase (Heavy deceleration.. ) But allows almost no resistance to pressure under power..

They don't care because the engine gets few hours,, and gets torn down a couple times a season and we change the oil EVERY race weekend. (And has Dry sump) The dry sump system by nature pulls vacuum on the crank case, the fumes eject from a breather on the dry sump tank..
Old 04-16-2018, 08:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by OxTheGreat
You think that frequent oil changes and engine rebuilds would solve that issue? I could see it being a long term issue with a DD street/strip car, less of a problem for a race only car. To each it's own I suppose
Like I said earlier many people run them that way and it's fine. I run some that way myself.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
If you look at most race engines that don't have a vacuum pump, they vent to atmosphere..

Look at plumbing for a sprint car, AN12 off each valve cover to a cross over pipe with a couple filters on it to keep the engine clean when the motor goes to vacuum state in the crankcase (Heavy deceleration.. ) But allows almost no resistance to pressure under power..

They don't care because the engine gets few hours,, and gets torn down a couple times a season and we change the oil EVERY race weekend. (And has Dry sump) The dry sump system by nature pulls vacuum on the crank case, the fumes eject from a breather on the dry sump tank..
Yes I know all about dry sumps and race engines and sprint cars in particular, That's my favorite form of racing and we have been going to Knoxville and surrounding tracks for decades, Some of my friends race and some of the people me and my son raced microsprints with have since moved up to them. I would have raced them but at most would have ran mid pack on a budget. It takes some deep pockets to be competitive at places like Knoxville. Nothing against the 305 or racesaver classes but I would have wanted to run a 360 at least.
The OP was simply asking for thoughts on his idea, I was just pointing out that there are several ways to accomplish getting vapors out of the crankcase and there are no real downsides to doing it on anything from a street car to race car.
I have a roots blown 5.3 running E85 on my run stand right now have already seen milky oil on the oil fill cap because it's only been run at idle for the most part and still needs tuned under load. If I the issue is still there once it's in the car and tuned then I'll have to figure out a way to keep it from happening.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Not the fastest race cars but they were a blast to race and we were always in contention.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,358 Posts

I've noticed that inside my oil fill cap too so I pulled the dipstick fearing the worst but was happy to see it at the proper level and color. I'm making some changes to the valve train right now so while the car is down I removed my breather can to drain it only to find that it was mostly filled with water. I guess it's due to the cold season and my short drives so I went ahead and drained the oil and was happy to see no water holding up in the crankcase. So apparently my breather can does a great job at capturing the moisture the engine can generate as well.

I'm still on the fence when it comes to running a PCV system. I suppose I could send the oil in for analysis then reinstall the sealed can for the next oil change and turn that in and see what it tells me but the thought of sending the vapor back into the motor doesn't sit well with me. I have been looking at the LSX Super Pro Vacuum Pump Kit and could go this route in conjunction with sealed valve covers and then just for S&G send that oil in for analysis and see what that tells me if anything.