Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Gates belts for Procharger D1?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Gates belts for Procharger D1?

Have an Aster Bracket on the way so need to order an longer belt (7.65 crank pulley and a 4.0 head unit pulley). Looks like I will need PN K080525.

It appears that Gates has at least three product lines so just because one orders a Gates K080525 for example that doesn't necessarily mean that you will get a RPM belt from the RPM product line. You would have to order a K080525RPM instead. The RPM product line is mfg specifically by Gates for FI cars, but I rarely see that product line mentioned in this forum.

Yes I have done a search. Most recommend the green stripe or even the Century series or just supply a part number but not the product line.

Bobs (Brute Speed) sticky doesn't mention that product line either. Does anyone know if ProCharger rebrands the Gates RPM line as their own or will I have to find a jobber that handles that product line?

"Gates RPM belts are specifically engineered for forced induction and high-output engines. Featuring a high-modulus, low stretch Aramid or Polyester tensile cord, nylon-fiber reinforced undercord, and dual adhesion gum layers,these belts can handle more power and withstand more punishment than any other belt on the market."

Perhaps Bob will chime in.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:01 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

The green "fleet" belts are what you want...
Old 07-05-2018, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

After more internet research (however reliable that is ) the review from CTS forum say they don't stretch at all and pretty sticky due the construction compared to the green Fleet product line.

Think I'll try one. Found that Jegs sells them unless Bob at Brute can get them.

https://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/4-e...ies-belts.html

BTW - not saying that green Fleet is bad, just might be that since the RPM line is a newer product no one has heard of it. Link above has a source at Gates too - good to know.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:09 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

If they work better, even better.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

RPM hands down . They are new, that’s why u don’t hear too much . I’ve tried every belt under the sun on my whipple 2.9 6 rib set up. Rpm belts don’t stretch, period. Best belt by far
Old 07-05-2018, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmyg
RPM hands down . They are new, that’s why u don’t hear too much . I’ve tried every belt under the sun on my whipple 2.9 6 rib set up. Rpm belts don’t stretch, period. Best belt by far
Good to hear.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I haven't got a chance to use the new RPM belts yet. Not a lot of places seem to stock them or can get them(it's been a while since I checked though) We use the green belts on pretty much anything making more than 10psi.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I’ve been using the green belts without issues. The new RPM belts are said to be performing very well. Gates contacted me about trying one but they don’t make the one I need in a 10 rib so when they do they’ll hit me up.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Belt

This is the one I ran with my SDCE and a 3.7
Old 07-06-2018, 05:56 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Very interesting. I'm happy to hear that there is a better option.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,307 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

O'Reilly's has a k080424 that is slightly smaller than the 424 and I found it gives me better belt tension than the 5.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
I’ve been using the green belts without issues. The new RPM belts are said to be performing very well. Gates contacted me about trying one but they don’t make the one I need in a 10 rib so when they do they’ll hit me up.
Is this your source at Gates?

Chad.Cossette@gates.com

I am going to send an email and ask about best source for these belts - specific for Fbody and Procharger lengths. Jegs has the K080525RPM but not in stock with a projected ship date so looks like they are drop shipping perhaps.

BTW - the link I posted from the CTS forum is about a year old - so hopefully by now the supply chain is filling up - or NOT - since still appears few are aware of this new product line.

For those who didn't click on link in an earlier post of mine (this is product description).

"RPM (Racing, Performance, Muscle) is a new, no compromise belt built specifically for supercharged applications.

Whereas 99% of all belts on the market today use a polyester tensile cord, the RPM series uses an aramid tensile cord. This is the same fiber found in bulletproof vests and is 10x stronger than steel and 5x less elastic than polyester. When polyester heats up (which it does even from normal use) it will stretch out. As you can imagine, when that belt stretches out you experience belt slip and boost loss. Eventually the elastic properties of the polyester will fail and the belt that was once 100” will stretch to 100.25”, at which point the tensioner can no longer compensate for the stretch and generally results in belt failure.

Due to the strength and minimal elasticity of aramid fiber, the RPM series of belts will not stretch which allows the belt to maintain its true length throughout its service life. This results in more consistent boost and in some instances, users have reported a 1-2psi increase merely from switching from HD belts to RPM belts. We actually have some user submitted under hood video on our Instagram page (GatesRPM) that clearly demonstrates the difference between polyester and aramid corded belts.

Another main benefit of the RPM line is the use of two layers of adhesion gum. These layers create a sandwich around the tensile cords which transfers the load to the strongest part of the belt; the jacket (or smooth backside of the belt). FleetRunner HD belts got a reputation for strength because they use one layer of adhesion gum, standard micro-v belts forgo any adhesion gum.

RPM belts also utilize a patented rubber compound with the highest coefficient of friction available and are built in common OE supercharger sizes as well as many sizes used with aftermarket setups. The RPM line has expanded to 299 part numbers with new numbers being added every quarter. "

Link below - is an interesting read on how to tension the RPM belt compared to a Green. Completely opposite to promote long belt life.

https://www.svtperformance.com/forum...lower.1140578/

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 07-07-2018 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Edited to add info link
Old 07-07-2018, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

RPM Belt Size Chart

https://assets.gates.com/content/dam...t-newbrand.pdf
Old 07-07-2018, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

When I was running the green belt , I would run the smallest belt that would fit because it would stretch so much. I would get a month out of one. Same with the gator back ( continental elite) . With the rpm , even though they don't make my size (K060923HD ) or (k060919) I can run a slightly larger K060926RPM because it don't stretch .the Whipple Camaro kit has a really strong tensioner . It's been a month, and it hasn't moved at all.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I was running the green belt , I would run the smallest belt that would fit because it would stretch so much. I would get a month out of one. Same with the gator back ( continental elite) . With the rpm , even though they don't make my size (K060923HD ) or (k060919) I can run a slightly larger K060926RPM because it don't stretch .the Whipple Camaro kit has a really strong tensioner . It's been a month, and it hasn't moved at all.
Dont know if you reviewed this link - but when sizing a belt if we use the RPM belt the belt doesn't have to be as tight (about 20 percent of what is required for a Green belt).

Just a hunch, but suspect your RPM belt is actually working better with the tensioner because it isn't set as tight because of the longer belt and/or has more travel to reach it's maximum travel and still with no slip. If there is less slippage also less wear so the inside dimensions of the belt stay static and doesn't grow in length.

"The correct way to tension a RPM belt is almost the exact opposite of a standard stretchy "poly belt" - only apply 20-30% of the tensioner travel to the belt... because it won't "stretch - that's fine when the belt is under load - but then when you jump off the gas and the belt unloads - there is a long way for the tensioner to move before hitting the full open stop."

Will be interesting to see is how the Aster J - Bracket (fbody Procharger tensioner bracket) reacts with the RPM belt when I get it and get it installed. Might be able to loose the lower pulley and/or set the tensioner at the loosest setting vs the tighest.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

So is the K060915RPM too short? Looks like difference in OD is 7 mm or 9/32 of an inch compared to the OD of a KO60919 (2340mm vs 2347mm).

K060915RPM K06 13/16” x 92 1/8” - Black 6 91.56 2326 92.125 2340
Old 07-07-2018, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I tried a gator back K060915 and couldn’t get it to fit. Smallest that would fit was the K060919.the K060926RPM works mint though, so I’m happy.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
Dont know if you reviewed this link - but when sizing a belt if we use the RPM belt the belt doesn't have to be as tight (about 20 percent of what is required for a Green belt).

Just a hunch, but suspect your RPM belt is actually working better with the tensioner because it isn't set as tight because of the longer belt and/or has more travel to reach it's maximum travel and still with no slip. If there is less slippage also less wear so the inside dimensions of the belt stay static and doesn't grow in length.

"The correct way to tension a RPM belt is almost the exact opposite of a standard stretchy "poly belt" - only apply 20-30% of the tensioner travel to the belt... because it won't "stretch - that's fine when the belt is under load - but then when you jump off the gas and the belt unloads - there is a long way for the tensioner to move before hitting the full open stop."

Will be interesting to see is how the Aster J - Bracket (fbody Procharger tensioner bracket) reacts with the RPM belt when I get it and get it installed. Might be able to loose the lower pulley and/or set the tensioner at the loosest setting vs the tighest.
well with a whipple, the tensioner is spring loaded, so I set it like I did the green belt, about 1.5 inches of travel on the tensioner. Seems to be perfect.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

DuWayne, with your combination using the Aster bracket, a green belt will work just fine if you can't find an RPM belt in the size you need. If you go with the green belt, don't go wot for an hour to break in the belt, then readjust the tension and you should be good to go. I have no data on the newer RPM line. Thanks. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 07-08-2018, 03:39 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've said for years, that if they could make a belt that stretched less, it would help tremendously. This makes me want to swap the factory 6 rib belt to this as well.

Quick Reply: Gates belts for Procharger D1?