Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Forced Induction Introduction please

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Forced Induction Introduction please

Hey guys, I was hoping you help me get a better understanding of what a Vortech or similar supercharger does for an mostly daily driver. Now how practical is it, what is the added headaches that come with it..maintenance, and what kind of thrill does it add to a 2002 A4 Firehawk. What would I need to go along with the charger for a pretty much stock car. And throw a price in with that. Thanks, and sorry if these are basic questions.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by shippershack
Hey guys, I was hoping you help me get a better understanding of what a Vortech or similar supercharger does for an mostly daily driver. Now how practical is it, what is the added headaches that come with it..maintenance, and what kind of thrill does it add to a 2002 A4 Firehawk. What would I need to go along with the charger for a pretty much stock car. And throw a price in with that. Thanks, and sorry if these are basic questions.
Well, I installed a vortec w/o aftercooler on my car a week after I bought it at the tune of $4500. It turned the car into a monster and just made it more fun to drive everyday but mines an M6 I'm sure it's about the same. Now as far as maintenance there isn't much, just checking little things when you change the oil, the kits been on there for over a year so far so good. And the kit came with everything that you need with the exception of tools, but if your going to do it yourself be prepared it's not as easy as they say. The car is driven daily and raced every other weekend. Me personally I believe you spend a lot of money, you live a lot, and you have a hell of a lot of fun doing it. So good luck and I hope this helped.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Firewood
Well, I installed a vortec w/o aftercooler on my car a week after I bought it at the tune of $4500. It turned the car into a monster and just made it more fun to drive everyday but mines an M6 I'm sure it's about the same. Now as far as maintenance there isn't much, just checking little things when you change the oil, the kits been on there for over a year so far so good. And the kit came with everything that you need with the exception of tools, but if your going to do it yourself be prepared it's not as easy as they say. The car is driven daily and raced every other weekend. Me personally I believe you spend a lot of money, you live a lot, and you have a hell of a lot of fun doing it. So good luck and I hope this helped.

I share your philosophy on spending the cash while living large...how much to install the Vortech and have it tuned if that is necessary. So what kind of difference does it make on the car. Is noticeable power all around or more at the low end or top end? Would say placing a Supercharger on my A4 really be all the mods I need to get what is important, and good thrill for a daily driver that wouldn't hurt the car at all....safe power is what I'm looking for. Love to hit 450hp, about 125hp up from where I am now.
Thanks
Old 07-09-2004, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Well the installation price I wouldn't know right off hand, I installed mine myself with a little help. The tuning comes from a supplied programer that you have to send in for and you'll be waiting about a week or so for that to be sent back. My car has never seen a dyno so I don't really know what kind of power it makes but I have heard a custom tune is the way to go, which I am looking into. But if you have a shop that can tune/dyno the car in your area it's the way to go, I don't. They claim about a 100hp with the kit that I have and 140hp from the kit that is aftercooled. You feel the power everytime you put your foot to the floor. I'm sure that A4 and M6 cars act about the same with a supercharger, but don't quote me on that. As far as the reliability of a supercharger, I so far have had no problems from anything on it and as I've heard it's probably the best streetable horsepower you can bolt on. In the 1/4 my car comes on strong at the top end of the track about the 1/8 and on, but it's also equipped with a Moser 12 bolt and 4.10s.