Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Race MMI turbo help

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 01:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race MMI turbo help

I bought a 2000 Chevy 1500 with a 4.8l in it and decided to turbo it. I ordered the race mmi twin turbo kit and it's been hell every since trying to get everything to fit and to work properly. I finally got it running and was only pushing 4lbs of boost so I unhooked the waste gates and started to make around 10lbs. Before I got the truck tuned I was having oil pressure issues, since my motor had 200k miles on it I just bought a 5.3 to put in it. So both motors and the turbo kit are sitting out of my truck right now. Has anyone ever had the race mmi twin turbo kit that has actually got it hooked up and working right? Or am I just waisting my time and should I just go a different route. I would really like to figure this one out so I'm not out $2000 but I don't want to waste anymore of my time cause it's been long enough already. Any help is appreciated

Last edited by Slowchevy1500; 10-17-2018 at 01:37 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Contact the manufacturer and see if you can get some guidance. I don't know of anyone here with an MMI setup. Maybe you need better wastegates.......
Old 10-17-2018, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are a terrible Ebay kits. I had one in my shop for a while. Everything about them is poor in design and cheap in quality. I never even installed it and still had to take a $700 bath just to get rid of it. Looking into something like a KB Racing kit if you want a decent truck turbo kit or hot parts.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

other than the turbo/oiling issues. how well do the hotside parts fit?
the placement of the wastegate on that mmi kit is suspect for sure. I'd block it off and move the wastegate closer to the turbo-maybe sloppy style on the turbo itself?
Old 11-30-2018, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, The on the drivers side, You can't even physically get to the spark plugs on cylinders 1 and 3 without taking the manifolds itself off. They are literally behind the manifold. You have to use longer spark plug wire to even get around the manifolds to them. The cold side plumbing is almost all formed silicone hose with only a couple aluminium tubes for murges and stuff.