Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Aftercooler Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Aftercooler Question

A technical question regarding the cooling properties of water and engine coolant:
The Vortech instruction manual says to use a 50/50 mix of dexcool and water for the aftercooler reservoir. There is an overflow hose that drains off into the engine coolant system, but I have it sealed off to separate the two systems, i.e. the Vortech aftercooler fluids do NOT mix into the engine. That said, assuming the outside temperature is above freezing (this is summertime) can I run 100% water in the aftercooler system? And if so, will the cooling properties be better or worse with pure water or dexcool/water? It seems to me the intake temperatures are hotter with a dexcool mix, based on feeling the inlet to the throttle body with my hand.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-09-2004, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

in a sealed radiator or aftercooler system, the water is what does the cooling, and the dexcool/alchoal is what keeps the water from freezing.

I would reccomend 99% water and 1% waterwetter, or purple ice
that should get you even better cooling properties
thanks
ed
firebird455@onebox.com
Old 07-10-2004, 07:46 PM
10 Second Club

I use primarily water, a little bit of antifreeze and I put in 2 1/2 bottles of water wetter from redline. my car is cool as a cucumber

Quick Reply: Aftercooler Question