Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

6300+ rpm, a death wish for a sbe turbo LS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 01:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 557 Likes on 432 Posts

Still spinning 7k on every shift.......
Old 12-22-2018, 07:57 AM
7 Second Club

Received 117 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
Stock pushrods will bend at higher rpm. Beyond spring and pushrod issues, I cannot imagine why one of these motors would mechanically be limited to anything remotely as low as 6300rpm.

thats a joke I’ve been 7500+ stock pushrods stock rockers for 2 years not a single problem
Old 12-22-2018, 11:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 433 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by ls3fox

thats a joke I’ve been 7500+ stock pushrods stock rockers for 2 years not a single problem
First time I upped my rev limiter to 6800rpm on comp 918 springs and a stock cam and rockers, the pushrods all bent. Every single one of them. Your results may vary. That being said, I would be interested in seeing your pushrods roll flat on a sheet of glass. You may have bent them without knowing.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:36 PM
7 Second Club

Received 117 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
First time I upped my rev limiter to 6800rpm on comp 918 springs and a stock cam and rockers, the pushrods all bent. Every single one of them. Your results may vary. That being said, I would be interested in seeing your pushrods roll flat on a sheet of glass. You may have bent them without knowing.
just had the entire top end off over thanksgiving to make sure everything was good before putting the bigger turbo and there wasn’t a single problem.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 416 Likes on 226 Posts

Ive tuned or helped refine tunes on a few stock bottom turbo cars running bottom 8's in the 1/4 the past couple years.
8,000-8,200 rpm shifts every pass. Stock lifters and rockers without trunnions in one ljms stage 3 turbo cam setup.

If anything the higher power stuff last longer revving them past peak torque. The mass amounts of load and over timing things break more frequently than any rpm or horsepower figure. To a degree. I know of quite a few people making 1,100 hp on stock bottom setups for quite some time. A few have broken throughout time but that is the sbe gamble.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSS4thgen
Ive tuned or helped refine tunes on a few stock bottom turbo cars running bottom 8's in the 1/4 the past couple years.
8,000-8,200 rpm shifts every pass. Stock lifters and rockers without trunnions in one ljms stage 3 turbo cam setup.

If anything the higher power stuff last longer revving them past peak torque. The mass amounts of load and over timing things break more frequently than any rpm or horsepower figure. To a degree. I know of quite a few people making 1,100 hp on stock bottom setups for quite some time. A few have broken throughout time but that is the sbe gamble.
This pretty much puts my uncertainty to rest but the main reason I was wondering this is because even Stock48, who's quite famous on here for his achievements, at one point said he keeps the revs a bit under 6500 rpm on a turbo'd stock bottom end. However this was 5 years ago or so when I read that info, maybe he does things a bit different now. Perhaps in that case if the turbo is very small, then maybe the back pressure at the higher revs causes its own issues (high heat, detonation).
Old 12-25-2018, 02:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 433 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSS4thgen

I'm guessing all turbo cars. The exhaust backpressure actually cushions the pressure on the rotating assembly to some small but not insignificant amount. Blower cars don't get this benefit. Stock lifters and rockers seem to be fine unless you go with some ridiculous N/A cam.