I dont know which turbo but i have the same questions~
15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Another help me pick my turbo/setup thread - 6.0/80e

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 08:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After getting some info from Huron Speed, I think at this point the BW turbo is out. While I think it fits the application a little better, the modifications to the kit mean extra time and money on my part that im not willing to screw with, so the 7875 turbo it is. I will be going with a billet version of one of the 3 chinese turbos, either VS, on3, or HS.

Also talking with them, I was able to glean some info on the HS turbos, and it is not the same as either the on3 or the VS. It has a larger compressor housing and a 6 blade wheel design. I'm going to start digging and see if anyone has real world results from the HS turbo, as I know less blades and larger compressor housing theoretically means it could flow more, but im wondering if it would matter with the hot side being the same all said, and less blades doesn't necessarily mean more flow as other things like design come into play if we are comparing that to the other two which look to me like they use the same blades.

edit: unfortunately HS is out of stock of the house 7875 and the timing just isnt right for when I need to get this completed, so that turbo, while to me is the most attractive of the 3, is probably not in the cards
Old 12-29-2018, 08:22 AM
Teching In

so now that that settled, on to cam selection.

I have looked at the LJMS stage 2
the summit pro LS stage 2
The tick stage 1
the speed inc tu1 and tu2

or, because its a 6.0, do we think I can make more power on a smaller cam like the triple 12 or ss2 or something with like a -6 overlap?
Old 12-29-2018, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not the voice of wisdom here, just some guy who is still plotting and scheming and doing a wack of research for his turbo LS.

I bought the VS Billet 7875 for my 6.0L. The vehicle will never see the track, it's 100% street driven, and will replace my current daily. I don't spent enough time at the top of the RPM to warrant a massive turbo, but I do want it to light up quick with lots of torque in the rpm range where I actually drive. Might be old age setting in.

I know the "Sloppy Stage 2" is super popular, but that cam needs a converter (and possibly gears?) and both "lumpy" and "converter" usually means poor fuel economy. My current daily is lumpy cam and high stall, and it's getting old (231°@050, 108LSA).

I would shoot for something no bigger than 220°@050, with fairly wide LSA (maybe 114°), but that's just my opinion. As it is, I'm going to just run the stock cam for now, and revisit the cam once it's sorted and I've been driving it a while.

If you're going to track the vehicle, you need to build it for that.

Last edited by SkinnyG; 12-29-2018 at 02:17 PM. Reason: speling erors
Old 12-29-2018, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Imo I'd go smaller on the cam like the ljms stage 1 turbo cam, unless you want some lope. I really dont know what I'm talking about tho. Best thing is call ljms and see what he thinks will be best for your setup, or BTR or any cam providing sponsor.

I'm still torn between s475 and 7875. I think Doug makes the most since with the cam I have, big wheel t4. But do I need that much turbine for low 6s 1/8 mile in a 3300lb truck (guessing on weight). And I really dont wanna drop $1k on a turbo, then how much will I have to cut out and move my hotside to fit it. Then how much power difference is there between the small billet s475 that will require some cutting to fit and the billet 7875 that will prob bolt right in? Tax time is just around the corner LOL
Old 12-29-2018, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SkinnyG
I'm not the voice of wisdom here, just some guy who is still plotting and scheming and doing a wack of research for his turbo LS.

I bought the VS Billet 7875 for my 6.0L. The vehicle will never see the track, it's 100% street driven, and will replace my current daily. I don't spent enough time at the top of the RPM to warrant a massive turbo, but I do want it lo light up quick with lots of torque in the rpm range where I actually drive. Might be old age setting in.

I know the "Sloppy Stage 2" is super popular, but that cam needs a converter (and possibly gears?) and both "lumpy" and "converter" usually means poor fuel economy. My current daily is lumpy cam and high stall, and it's getting old (231°@050, 108LSA).

I would shoot for something no bigger than 220°@050, with fairly wide LSA (maybe 114°), but that's just my opinion. As it is, I'm going to just run the stock cam for now, and revisit the cam once it's sorted and I've been driving it a while.

If you're going to track the vehicle, you need to build it for that.
I have the same kind of thought process as you, i dont need to go to some massive peak WHP number, but im also not worried about fuel economy. I live in a cheap gas state, and am fortunate enough to have the means to not worry about the small stuff like that as long as I dont go too crazy on the actual race car cost.

My car is 99% percent street driven, does have a nice FTI 3800 hard hit stall, and has what I think most might consider a pretty aggressive gear for a turbo car at 3.50s. If you look at my OP the car is built from the motor back, and currently is really lumpy with a big cam and drives great, I just want to be faster. I am leaning towards what you are saying in a smaller cam as im reading it doesnt cause as much backpressure issues on a smallish turbo on the 6.0 motor and ends up making as much or more power and carrys it lower across the band.

This is all theory though as I have seen lots of other conflicting info too. Im trying not to harass guys like stock48, bryan tooley, or lil john before i get a good enough grasp on how turbo cams work for my setup though.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Lsxford
Imo I'd go smaller on the cam like the ljms stage 1 turbo cam, unless you want some lope. I really dont know what I'm talking about tho. Best thing is call ljms and see what he thinks will be best for your setup, or BTR or any cam providing sponsor.

I'm still torn between s475 and 7875. I think Doug makes the most since with the cam I have, big wheel t4. But do I need that much turbine for low 6s 1/8 mile in a 3300lb truck (guessing on weight). And I really dont wanna drop $1k on a turbo, then how much will I have to cut out and move my hotside to fit it. Then how much power difference is there between the small billet s475 that will require some cutting to fit and the billet 7875 that will prob bolt right in? Tax time is just around the corner LOL
Becuase I have the huron kit, after talking with Jon at HS, it became an easy choice for the 7875. Yes, I think the BW turbo in the end is a better fit for a 6.0. but the fabrication needed to get it mounted to the v3 kit, as well as making it fit properly and be supported inside the engine bay is stuff that adds time, money, and hassle to my build, as well as i have seen people runing 9s on the 7875 with the right setup and I will be just fine with a nice feeling car that runs 10s. In the end, the BW turbos can make more Hp than my bottom end can handle properly, an i figure if i ever get that itch, i will have everything in place to just upgade the turbo and do the fab work needed at that time.

As for the cam, the more im learning im leaning smaller, with stuff like the ljms stage 2 or the pro ls stage 2 turbo cams being the very top of what would 'work' for this combo. I dont plan on pulling it apoart again so i just want to pick it right the first time.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by falxzzr
After getting some info from Huron Speed, I think at this point the BW turbo is out. While I think it fits the application a little better, the modifications to the kit mean extra time and money on my part that im not willing to screw with, so the 7875 turbo it is. I will be going with a billet version of one of the 3 chinese turbos, either VS, on3, or HS.

edit: unfortunately HS is out of stock of the house 7875 and the timing just isnt right for when I need to get this completed, so that turbo, while to me is the most attractive of the 3, is probably not in the cards
If that is the turbo you want get Jon to give you a time estimate. You have more time than you think. It isn’t a quick job and there is a lot of little time killers just in the power steering, wrapping the hot side and about 200 little time eaters I’m forgetting. You’ll spend more time measuring and remeasuring for oil pan return...brake line and rack clearance to the hot side. How to run the exhaust. Do you want a boost controller. Is it a Formula...guess what...cold side issue with the drivers fog light and bov. Best thing about it all is Jon. He will get back to you quickly. About like Bob when I had the Procharger setup.

John Dougherty is who I got my cam from. Stock48, Martin at Tick, John Bewley are all great people as well and will steer you right.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Left off that I’m going with the Precicion 76/75 cea billet when journal bearing
Old 12-30-2018, 12:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 007FJ

If that is the turbo you want get Jon to give you a time estimate. You have more time than you think. It isn’t a quick job and there is a lot of little time killers just in the power steering, wrapping the hot side and about 200 little time eaters I’m forgetting. You’ll spend more time measuring and remeasuring for oil pan return...brake line and rack clearance to the hot side. How to run the exhaust. Do you want a boost controller. Is it a Formula...guess what...cold side issue with the drivers fog light and bov. Best thing about it all is Jon. He will get back to you quickly. About like Bob when I had the Procharger setup.

John Dougherty is who I got my cam from. Stock48, Martin at Tick, John Bewley are all great people as well and will steer you right.

I've built my current car several times, and built a RCSB with its share of set backs earlier this year as well, believe me i know about all the kind of stuff lol. That being said, we have a full shop, and rack time is at a premium, i am hoping to go on the rack monday night, and be done in two weeks. Ill have a very experienced d fbody turbo guy doing the hard stuff as well. Time is money!

I did go ahead and pick up the VSR billet 7875 through HS, so now that is wrapped up I am doing cam selection and should be basically all good to go~ Ill cxheck out john dougherty and see what i can find out, i am getting real close to calling guys, i am continuing to lean a little smaller than the LJMS/BTR stage 2 sized cams unless when i do go to make the final call that im talked out of it.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I read through the thread and little late since you have chosen parts already but for your intended use i agree the billet 78/75 will be perfectly fine for your 6.0. go as large and short travel as you can for the exhaust as to alleviate backpressure issues at high boost. The billet turbo will be peppy on the street in the midrange rpm making it a blast to drive.

I have the On3 84mm and love it,same with my ljms stg 2 cam.I found it rather tame honestly. Its got a good lump to it at idle but drives easily on the street with decent gas mileage out of boost lol. Its aggressive on paper but really not in person.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Redbull87
I read through the thread and little late since you have chosen parts already but for your intended use i agree the billet 78/75 will be perfectly fine for your 6.0. go as large and short travel as you can for the exhaust as to alleviate backpressure issues at high boost. The billet turbo will be peppy on the street in the midrange rpm making it a blast to drive.

I have the On3 84mm and love it,same with my ljms stg 2 cam.I found it rather tame honestly. Its got a good lump to it at idle but drives easily on the street with decent gas mileage out of boost lol. Its aggressive on paper but really not in person.

I actually have a cutout right at the end of the ypipe for my current exhaust set up, so we will just connect that with turbo downpipe and I will run the cutout, but be able to close it when needed.

I ended up going with comp cam 226/230 113+4 .605/.575, very similar to the LJMS cam.

just ordered my deka 80lb injectors.. parts should be here by this weekend~
Old 02-03-2019, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help boys!

This is base tune only, very fat tune (11.2) with no timing and only 12 pounds of boost. Pump gas 93 octane + meth. Billet VS 7875 on Huron speed v3 kit. Car was spinning its *** off in the cold weather so I was pedaling the hell out of it. Still fun !!

Old 02-03-2019, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

I’d watch the pedaling. That can hurt parts quick!