Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Wastegate Spring Sizing

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wastegate Spring Sizing

I couldn't find a thread about this so i thought i'd start one and ask the question.
Simply put, what decides the wastegate spring pressure on a twin turbo build? I understand how the spring works and everything. But does it differ from a single turbo, besides adding a second wastegate. With a single turbo, the spring pressure will be you base boost pressure and you can achieve up to double that pressure with a boost controller. 8psi spring, you can have anywhere from 8-16psi.
With a twin turbo build, do you add the spring pressures together to get your base pressure, 8psi and 8psi for a combined 16psi base boost, or is it the same as a single? Whatever you have in the wastegate will be your base pressure? Basically what i'm asking, if you have 8psi springs in each wastegate, will the base pressure be 8psi, or 16psi?
Old 01-19-2019, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll help you here since no one else wants to. In twins, everything operates in parallel, meaning if you're running 8lbs of boost, both turbos are making 8psi and you have 8psi springs in both waste gates. Nothing is ever series in a twin setup.