Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How do you judge a fast spooling turbo / setup?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 09:44 AM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
If this is the case, your tune likely needs work. Do some searching on the subject and you'll see that people are running much leaner AFR and higher timing until you get a couple PSI, then quickly pull out timing and richen it up. It should not take 2-3 seconds at 3k on that setup.
Came to say this.

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Cool, I was well versed in tuning both NA and boosted setups, but not specifically spooling. Took some pointers from a few on here like Slow Sedan and saw a noticeable improvement in spool up on manual turbo setups. I now can also confirm that some OEM turbo setup's follow the same method....lean and more timing until you're actually in boost then drop it down.
Glad to hear it worked.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:18 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Billiumss
Exactly!

Since I had little drive time with my car last fall, hence the reason to ask whats "normal". I did notice when I was in 1st or 2nd gear at say 3k rpms, it would take about 2-3 seconds to go from vac to 7.5lbs psi.l
I'd like to think that if you went WOT at 3000rpm in 1st gear....within 2s you'd already be changing to 2nd, without worrying too much about what boost was made.
2nd might give a little more insight as to boost response etc, but even 2nd gear should have a pretty short time period before needing to change to 3rd.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 571 Likes on 446 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Game ova
A good ET street R will hook 800+rwhp on a warm day. How much power are we talkin here? I know I said my car danced earlier, but that was on a different compound.
MT ET Street R's are the cats ***, I have almost zero issues hooking on the street and my car is setup for handling not drag racing.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 649 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Billiumss
Exactly!

Since I had little drive time with my car last fall, hence the reason to ask whats "normal". I did notice when I was in 1st or 2nd gear at say 3k rpms, it would take about 2-3 seconds to go from vac to 7.5lbs psi. I have a forged 6.0L, LS3 top end, 9.5 CR, 226 232 115lsa cam, Turbonetics Billet 7575 BB Turbo 1.15 AR housing. It kinda seems lazy at the lower rpms but once the turbo spools up its a different animal. It's just a little strange to me since I'm not use to a turbo car, the power comes on smooth down low. I'm guessing thats a little turbo lag. The car is fast, just feels different than when it was NA.

I'm sure its a balance for where you want your power, low to mid rpm or mid to high. Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't you want mid to high rpms power so your not constantly roasting the tires when you launch? "Spinning ain't winning" lol
just in case you didnt know, rich air fuel ratio will cause delayed spooling and so will low timing in the lower rpm AND KPA ranges. if timimg is too low out of boost, the engine will feel lazy and come into boost slower