Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

2nd test and tune for the C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 09:50 AM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Default 2nd test and tune for the C6 Z06

Snuck in on another private track rental down at Tucson Dragway this past weekend just to get some data on the converter changes and to see what this pig can do in the heat. By 11:30 it was already above 6000 FT DA and I was packing up and heading home. It resulted in a new best but it was with a terrible 60' and was breaking up the last couple of seconds on the big end with a spark issue. Once I fixed that I couldn't get it to hook at all the rest of the day. Going to make a tire/suspension change and head back out in a few weeks with equally crappy air so I can see if it helped any. Getting an IRS car to hook compared to a straight axle setup just isn't easy without some sort of compromise that I've been avoiding.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Getting after it. Looked relatively docile from inside. What's the compromise you're talking about making?
Old 06-05-2019, 10:59 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Getting after it. Looked relatively docile from inside. What's the compromise you're talking about making?
Yeah it's really not bad inside, the thing goes straight as an arrow for the most part and once the launch is over I'm looking at gauges since I'm still dialing it in. Then again maybe I'm just jaded and used to it. LOL! Going to loosen up some suspension stuff and try out a bias ply to see if that will soak up some of the inadequacies of an IRS road race type suspension on a drag strip.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:24 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Good manual drivers get 1.2-1.3x on the stock suspension, really good ones are touching the 1.1x-1.2x range on a slick. Some auto swapped C6's are down in the 1.1x range on a radial. I think its just a matter of suspension setup and I assume you have some fancy parts under there already that can be adjusted to get it to hookup better. Either way good luck!
Old 06-05-2019, 01:56 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Good manual drivers get 1.2-1.3x on the stock suspension, really good ones are touching the 1.1x-1.2x range on a slick. Some auto swapped C6's are down in the 1.1x range on a radial. I think its just a matter of suspension setup and I assume you have some fancy parts under there already that can be adjusted to get it to hookup better. Either way good luck!
Yeah and those guys have some serious weight reduction and a track that is like glue both of which I don't have out here. This thing tips the scales at ~3600 lbs with me in it since I haven't done any weight reduction at all and just added weight but it already went 1.32 with a very soft launch on a radial in the heat so I'm confident it will cut a 1.2x pretty easily with good weather and a bias. Don't think this car will ever see anything in a 1.1x range without some serious weight reduction and a tubular front end, drag brakes, etc and I'm not even thinking about that stuff right now.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Am I wrong in thinking you need a tighter converter? Or, the trans is slipping?
Old 06-06-2019, 11:22 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by coltboostin
Am I wrong in thinking you need a tighter converter? Or, the trans is slipping?
The converter in it right now has a pretty optimal slip percentage and RPM drop for the combo.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Damn that car screams... what is the motor in it? What is redline?

For 6000ft DA and that MPH the car is an animal.....

Bring it to California for some normal DA and cooler temps
Old 06-07-2019, 10:33 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Nic, it seems I see the Cordes guys down in Tucson more than Firebird. Besides private rental, is that track any better? I've never been, maybe when it cools off I'll give it a try.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:02 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by gnx7
Damn that car screams... what is the motor in it? What is redline?
For 6000ft DA and that MPH the car is an animal.....
Bring it to California for some normal DA and cooler temps
It's a solid roller 427 LSR block motor, limiter is at ~8200 rpm but I'm trying to keep it down around 7800-7900 rpms max at the end of the track and on the shifts. I can't imagine what this thing would do at sea level, actually it would probably be out of fuel and I would have to mix the ethanol content down even more since I'm almost out of injector already. LOL

Originally Posted by ascastil
Hey Nic, it seems I see the Cordes guys down in Tucson more than Firebird. Besides private rental, is that track any better? I've never been, maybe when it cools off I'll give it a try.
I do like the track and the crew better and it's priced much better as well, only problem is Tucson DA is at a minimum of 3400 ft on average during the cool months but Wild Horse (Firebird) can dip down to around 1400. We are investigating more options with Wild horse though just because it would be a 20 minute drive home vs a 2 hour trip and the air is easily 2000 ft DA lower, too much $$$ though thus far but we are working on it.