Notices
Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

2019 Manual Boost Controller options

 
Old 07-05-2019, 09:57 PM
  #1  
TECH Resident
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 982
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 Manual Boost Controller options

What's the current go-to for an inexpensive manual boost controller? Currently making 3 psi on weakest WG spring and looking to turn that up slowly as I work on the tune. Don't really feel like cobbling together my own setup. I found this bad boy on Amazon Racing. Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001J6766A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AZZUFLYGX73QL&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001J6766A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AZZUFLYGX73QL&psc=1
LQ4-E39 is offline  
Old 07-07-2019, 06:23 AM
  #2  
Teching In
 
rjm27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 45
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I use this, works great, seems like a better quality piece than those cheap manual boost controllers for only $10 more

PneumaticPlus PPR2-N02BG-2 Miniature Air Pressure Regulator 1/4" NPT - Gauge, Bracket, Instrument Pressure (3-30 PSI)

Amazon Amazon
rjm27 is offline  
Old 07-07-2019, 06:51 AM
  #3  
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (5)
 
forcd ind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: woodbine, md
Posts: 3,391
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

I had one of those cheap brass ones, never used it because it looked like the spring
would hang up on the internal threads. Some do have good luck with them, but i ended
up with a Hallman controller i got off Ebay.
forcd ind is offline  
Old 07-07-2019, 10:21 AM
  #4  
TECH Resident
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 982
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rjm27 View Post
I use this, works great, seems like a better quality piece than those cheap manual boost controllers for only $10 more

PneumaticPlus PPR2-N02BG-2 Miniature Air Pressure Regulator 1/4" NPT - Gauge, Bracket, Instrument Pressure (3-30 PSI)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BPQDG62..._gxDiDbN8X4KTG
Hmm, that's a nice one. In terms of setting your boost, do you start with it fully closed and then slowly open it (regulate down a bit at a time) to see where the boost ends up? Does the turbo outlet get plumbed to the bottom of the wastegate with a tee going to the MBC, then on to the top of the wastegate?

Originally Posted by forcd ind View Post
I had one of those cheap brass ones, never used it because it looked like the spring
would hang up on the internal threads. Some do have good luck with them, but i ended
up with a Hallman controller i got off Ebay.

Thanks, I am trying to avoid a rinky dink Home Depot setup but don't want to spend a ton of money. I'll look into the Hallman.
LQ4-E39 is offline  
Old 07-07-2019, 11:09 AM
  #5  
Teching In
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Just go buy some fish tank valves and be done with it.
1slowvw is offline  
Old 07-07-2019, 02:04 PM
  #6  
9 Second Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Norn Iron
Posts: 12,396
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1slowvw View Post
Just go buy some fish tank valves and be done with it.
If you want cheap and easy....they are as cheap and easy as you can get.

Although with only a 3psi spring...I wouldnt have high hopes.
stevieturbo is offline  
Old 07-07-2019, 04:49 PM
  #7  
TECH Resident
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 982
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I slapped in the 2 larger springs that VSR includes with the 44mm WG. Making 8psi now on spring alone, I ordered the high resolution regulator in the link above and plan on "regulating" down to 5-6psi...that should put me at 11-12 psi in the manifold
LQ4-E39 is offline  
Old 07-08-2019, 01:06 PM
  #8  
Staging Lane
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 68
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LQ4-E39 View Post
I slapped in the 2 larger springs that VSR includes with the 44mm WG. Making 8psi now on spring alone, I ordered the high resolution regulator in the link above and plan on "regulating" down to 5-6psi...that should put me at 11-12 psi in the manifold

You can not use boost control to get less psi than the base spring pressure, only more. You can double the psi of the springs installed. But the lowest you will ever make always be base spring pressure.

The weakest spring in that pack for the VSR wastegate is 5.5psi, the middle weight one is 6.5 and the strongest one(happens to be the smallest diameter spring in there) is 7.5. Though before i put my controller on, I could not make really steady numbers with just spring, it would spike a lot. 2-3psi over the spring rate.

Last edited by LetsTurboSomething; 07-08-2019 at 01:12 PM.
LetsTurboSomething is offline  
Old 07-08-2019, 01:26 PM
  #9  
9 Second Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Norn Iron
Posts: 12,396
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LetsTurboSomething View Post
You can not use boost control to get less psi than the base spring pressure, only more. You can double the psi of the springs installed. But the lowest you will ever make always be base spring pressure.

The weakest spring in that pack for the VSR wastegate is 5.5psi, the middle weight one is 6.5 and the strongest one(happens to be the smallest diameter spring in there) is 7.5. Though before i put my controller on, I could not make really steady numbers with just spring, it would spike a lot. 2-3psi over the spring rate.
He isnt saying that.

He's saying the "regulated" pressure the gate will see....will allow him higher boost which is what he wants. He's just worded it all a little differently than most would expect.
stevieturbo is offline  
Old 07-08-2019, 01:44 PM
  #10  
TECH Resident
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 982
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
He isnt saying that.

He's saying the "regulated" pressure the gate will see....will allow him higher boost which is what he wants. He's just worded it all a little differently than most would expect.
Yeah maybe I explained it oddly, this stuff is all new to me.

I am using the 30psi regulator to feed a weaker signal to the wastegate which will cause it to open later and run higher boost in the manifold.
LQ4-E39 is offline  
Old 07-08-2019, 05:37 PM
  #11  
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (5)
 
forcd ind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: woodbine, md
Posts: 3,391
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Wastegates have always been that thorn in my side using a turbo, springs, hose routing, etc.
I have had 3 diff turbo cars, I think each one I routed the hoses diff. I know pressure on the bottom
helps open the valve, pressure on the top helps keep it closed. Seems the most common is direct
pressure to the bottom, tee to a controller, then to the top. At the most you can equalize the
pressure top and bottom. The one that seemed to work the best was run from a cont. just to
the top, so I could raise above the spring only boost.
forcd ind is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 07:17 AM
  #12  
TECH Resident
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 982
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by forcd ind View Post
Wastegates have always been that thorn in my side using a turbo, springs, hose routing, etc.
I have had 3 diff turbo cars, I think each one I routed the hoses diff. I know pressure on the bottom
helps open the valve, pressure on the top helps keep it closed. Seems the most common is direct
pressure to the bottom, tee to a controller, then to the top. At the most you can equalize the
pressure top and bottom. The one that seemed to work the best was run from a cont. just to
the top, so I could raise above the spring only boost.
In that last setup you mention, you're saying there's nothing connected to the bottom port? What's causing the wastegate to open then?

I currently have a hose from the intake manifold running directly to the bottom port which is opening the gate once the manifold pressure overpowers the spring. I think I'll tee off that line and then run to the 30psi regulator, which will be regulated down to 2psi to start with, and connect the output to the top of the gate. That 2psi of extra force up top should make the current 8psi spring feel like a 10psi spring.
LQ4-E39 is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 08:31 AM
  #13  
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (5)
 
forcd ind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: woodbine, md
Posts: 3,391
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

For some reason I was thinking exhaust pressure was opening it, since I hear people say
they run on gate alone, but maybe your right, the bottom port does need something to
even. allow it to open so you don't over boost. My Prochargers were easy, just swap pullies, lol
forcd ind is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 08:37 AM
  #14  
TECH Resident
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 982
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by forcd ind View Post
For some reason I was thinking exhaust pressure was opening it, since I hear people say
they run on gate alone, but maybe your right, the bottom port does need something to
even. allow it to open so you don't over boost. My Prochargers were easy, just swap pullies, lol
Yeah blowers are easy but I would never want to deal with all the BS of those (belt slip!!!)

According to the sloppy comprehensive boost control class (see youtube), it IS possible for exhaust backpressure alone to overpower the spring. Probably a lot easier for a crappy hotside with a lot of bends.

This stuff is simple for a lot of people and probably has been beat to death but itís good information for the newbies like myself to really understand the mechanics of it.
LQ4-E39 is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 11:35 AM
  #15  
9 Second Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Norn Iron
Posts: 12,396
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Lots is just choice of wording...or wording because there is an expectation those working with such systems actually know what they're doing.

but there are very many ways boost control can be configured, but for teh most part it is very easy.

I would almost never use intake manifold as a source of air pressure for wastegate actuators. And absolutely never if introducing leaks into that system ( ie, boost control devices )
stevieturbo is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 06:13 PM
  #16  
Staging Lane
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 76
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
Lots is just choice of wording...or wording because there is an expectation those working with such systems actually know what they're doing.

but there are very many ways boost control can be configured, but for teh most part it is very easy.

I would almost never use intake manifold as a source of air pressure for wastegate actuators. And absolutely never if introducing leaks into that system ( ie, boost control devices )
How does a 4-port control solenoid function in idle state? Does it vent constantly until the BC tells it to do otherwise? Would explain my hanging idle after I connected the 4-port to my vacuum block that's being fed from the intake manifold.
jayyyw is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 06:16 PM
  #17  
9 Second Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Norn Iron
Posts: 12,396
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Depends on plumbing and your controller.

Simple check is clamp the line.

But the intake manifold is not the correct place to get an air supply for wastegate control.
stevieturbo is offline  
The following users liked this post:
jayyyw (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 06:36 PM
  #18  
Staging Lane
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 76
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
Depends on plumbing and your controller.

Simple check is clamp the line.

But the intake manifold is not the correct place to get an air supply for wastegate control.
Mind sharing your reasoning behind that? Lots of mixed opinions on this. Ready to learn.
jayyyw is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 01:23 AM
  #19  
9 Second Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Norn Iron
Posts: 12,396
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

It's obvious, why would anyone deliberately introduce air leaks to their inlet manifold ? It's dumb
stevieturbo is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 01:16 AM
  #20  
Teching In
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 44
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Wastegate signal should be taken from somewhere between the compressor wheel and the throttle plate, simply because there's no point in having the wastegate diaphragm see vacuum as it would if you plumbed it from the intake manifold. If you have a MAF, you'll want to take it from in front of that too, especially if introducing a leak via a boost control device as stevieturbo mentioned.

That said, the amount of air actually leaking through a boost controller is vanishingly small compared to the amount of air the engine is ingesting while in boost. If you are running a speed density tune with MAP sensor only, I can't see it making any difference. If you're using a ball-and-spring controller, the orifice for air to leak through would never be exposed until you're making enough boost to overcome the ball and spring anyway, so it shouldn't matter...but be a good boy and plumb it from in front of the throttle plate anyway

Back to the original question, I'm using a Grimmspeed MBC. It's similar to the aforementioned Hallman. Not super cheap, but I decided that boost control was something I didn't want to be frustrated by, so it's one of the few parts in my setup I bucked up for a brand new USA-made part, and I haven't regretted it.
TastyBacon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: