Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Holley Terminator X and running motor on alky/methanol/M1 ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Holley Terminator X and running motor on alky/methanol/M1 ?

The terminator x sure does bundle things quite well, and the UI is easy peasy.

Yet I知 looking to run my motor on alcohol/methanol/M1, and I知 now assuming I may have a dilemma. Problem I see is the sensor it comes with, and I知 not up on whether it will work well with alky or not. Plus the user can only select E85 or gasoline as fuels in the settings, which may end up meaning nothing since you can just richen the VE table to what you want it to read.

i dunno, what痴 the drawback of using alky with the terminator x ???
Old 09-10-2019, 10:38 AM
Teching In

UPDATE but opinions needed:

Got up with Holley tech, finally lol. What the gentleman told me is that the Terminator X comes with a Bosch O2 sensor, which is only really meant for light-duty street performance applications with gasoline. He advised that when using E85 or methanol it is best to use the NTK sensor. The Holley part number for it is 554-100. You simply go into the software and select the NTK sensor in settings when you swap it out and then you're good to go.

It's very pricey. And i wonder if there's a cheaper way to just wire up a store bought NTK sensor to do the same thing? At this price point I could just get a complete AEM X-series wideband controller setup and use it as an input to datalog with, and those sensors seem to work well from what I'm told - yet they use a Bosch sensor, also.

Any opinions?

Last edited by jbtautoman; 09-10-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

it uses the same ntk my ballenger 500 does. it just takes a different extension harness.

I use the termi-x with a bosch sensor and it's fine with e85. with 100% alky you may need the greater resolution the ntk give you at very fat (on the gasoline scale at least) AFR's

I use a FF sensor and have made a couple advanced 2d tables that allows for adding fuel globally and a spark blend table.

probably my biggest complaints so far about the terminator is the harness quality and the inability to switch the AFR to lambda

but for the money, it's hard to beat
Old 09-10-2019, 03:31 PM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by jbtautoman
UPDATE but opinions needed:

Got up with Holley tech, finally lol. What the gentleman told me is that the Terminator X comes with a Bosch O2 sensor, which is only really meant for light-duty street performance applications with gasoline. He advised that when using E85 or methanol it is best to use the NTK sensor. The Holley part number for it is 554-100. You simply go into the software and select the NTK sensor in settings when you swap it out and then you're good to go.

It's very pricey. And i wonder if there's a cheaper way to just wire up a store bought NTK sensor to do the same thing? At this price point I could just get a complete AEM X-series wideband controller setup and use it as an input to datalog with, and those sensors seem to work well from what I'm told - yet they use a Bosch sensor, also.

Any opinions?
Bosch works just fine with E85, if you already have one just run it.

It doesn't matter which scale you use as long as you use the appropriate numbers, its all just lambda on the backend, gauges just convert that number to something recognizable to the nut behind the keyboard.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by truckdoug
it uses the same ntk my ballenger 500 does. it just takes a different extension harness.

I use the termi-x with a bosch sensor and it's fine with e85. with 100% alky you may need the greater resolution the ntk give you at very fat (on the gasoline scale at least) AFR's

I use a FF sensor and have made a couple advanced 2d tables that allows for adding fuel globally and a spark blend table.

probably my biggest complaints so far about the terminator is the harness quality and the inability to switch the AFR to lambda

but for the money, it's hard to beat
Gotcha. What's annoying is when you look over at the FAST ethanol/methanol AFR controller, it uses a Bosch sensor. So I called up FAST and the guy said the cross-ref number on the Bosch sensor is 17205.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Bosch works just fine with E85, if you already have one just run it.

It doesn't matter which scale you use as long as you use the appropriate numbers, its all just lambda on the backend, gauges just convert that number to something recognizable to the nut behind the keyboard.
But I'll be running straight methanol; no e85.

And right, I agree, all it knows is the lambda reading it gathers from the sensor, and it translates this into an AFR reading - which is simple. It's just trying to get a sensor that will work with methanol that might be the trick, and I'm trying to get it all sorted out.

Last edited by jbtautoman; 09-10-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:05 PM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Not at all sure why the sensor matters. Unless the NTK just has a wider range.
I too use Ballenger Wideband. Formerly NTK wideband. I have 3. Never failed an NTK sensor.

Methanol stoich is about 6:1. Full power 4:1.
i nearly got my feet wet Tuning the Dominator. Gas, M1, then E85.
not at all sure why Holley lets you select fuel type when you still have to enter desired AFR in the fuel table.......

I just see lots of Bosch sensor failures Kind of critical in a wideband system. I壇 just pony up and buy the NTK
Old 09-11-2019, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The terminator only has high imp drivers for the injectors correct? If so not a good idea on M1.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:59 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by hellbents-10
The terminator only has high imp drivers for the injectors correct? If so not a good idea on M1.
Agree and correct the terminator x and terminator x max only have high impedance drivers.

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Not at all sure why the sensor matters. Unless the NTK just has a wider range.
I too use Ballenger Wideband. Formerly NTK wideband. I have 3. Never failed an NTK sensor.

Methanol stoich is about 6:1. Full power 4:1.
i nearly got my feet wet Tuning the Dominator. Gas, M1, then E85.
not at all sure why Holley lets you select fuel type when you still have to enter desired AFR in the fuel table.......

I just see lots of Bosch sensor failures Kind of critical in a wideband system. I壇 just pony up and buy the NTK
If they read to .7 lambda at the sensor then its the same rich A/F based on fuel 10.0, 7.0, 4.5 etc

I agree on Holley, lets you select fuel type for no apparent reason when you have to configure it anyways. I've seen Bosch sensors fail from time to time but hasn't been fuel specific.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Terminator X only uses the bosch sensor, No NTK.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
I think it has more to do with base settings Holley has preprogrammed into the software. If you run a gas tune and run e85 you would also have to compensate by upping the acceleration enrichment and so on. When you setup flex fuel it takes everything into account for you so it adds fuel everywhere not just the base fuel table.

Originally Posted by DBRODS
Terminator X only uses the bosch sensor, No NTK.
This correct, It only has one option, No NTK option available.

Just a FYI, Holley 02 sensors are specific to Holley, "Per Danny Cabral:It's a proprietary wideband 02. sensor specifically made & calibrated for Holley EFI"

Last edited by LLLosingit; 09-11-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Thank you to all that have replied.

According to another phone call with Holley tech, I learned the following:
1) As stated in some of the replies above, the Terminator X indeed does use Bosch only. There is no support for an NTK sensor with the Terminator X. May be different if you use an external controller, but that kinda defeats the purpose of using what the system comes with.
2) The issue with methanol is the volume - while using methanol - that kills the sensors, especially the Bosch units.

My problem with item #2 is that I'll be running tops, a 500hp 5.3L naturally aspirated deal - not turbocharged. I mean, the volume of fuel involved here may only be equal to, if not less, than what you'd see from a snappy turbo e85 motor. So it's hard for me to believe it would be much of a concern, but I'm not an industry expert in that area.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

huh, when I first got my terminator it had the NTK in the drop down. Gone with the wind now though
Old 09-11-2019, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

huh, when I first got my terminator it had the NTK in the drop down. Gone with the wind now though
Terminator X or the old terminator system? I have the original software that I downloaded as soon as the X version was announced unless there was a different version prior to that.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

I had downloaded the Term X on my desktop just to see the dif bet that and the HP/Dom.
Found it odd they only have up to their 42 lb injs in the drop down, yet have boost control
stuff. I know there was a race to get the system out, maybe they planned on more updates later.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by forcd ind
I had downloaded the Term X on my desktop just to see the dif bet that and the HP/Dom.
Found it odd they only have up to their 42 lb injs in the drop down, yet have boost control
stuff. I know there was a race to get the system out, maybe they planned on more updates later.
Holley's high flowing injectors are low impedance and the X only supports high impedance, They have other brands listed that will support boost easy enough.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

so this got me thinking about how to set up an input in the holley from the analog output of my ballenger afr500....just a 5v signal right?

would be nice to log and compare to make sure the bosch isnt fucked
Old 09-17-2019, 03:57 PM
Teching In

UPDATE:

From my research, it appears the reason some o2 sensors have issues with straight methanol is because the controllers (or sensors, I guess) have problems reading accurately at air/fuel ratios that low (rich). Like below 7:1, or somewhere thereabout, is hard to read. Some do this better than others. Then some die from overfueling. However, in my case, I have a hard time believing the fuel volume itself will kill the sensor bc it's only 500hp and naturally aspirated - low fuel volume compared to anything boosted.

So I don't know. This is what I've managed to come up with. I'd like to think I could just use an AEM X-series wideband kit and send it, but whatever.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

so this got me thinking about how to set up an input in the holley from the analog output of my ballenger afr500....just a 5v signal right?

would be nice to log and compare to make sure the bosch isnt fucked

Just wired in a second wideband into a terminator today. Havent fired the car up yet but it will work. No different than wiring in 8 widebands on a dominator.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:16 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
Just wired in a second wideband into a terminator today. Havent fired the car up yet but it will work. No different than wiring in 8 widebands on a dominator.
8 widebands, you running zoomies lol Can't say I've seen any other V8 exhaust that doesn't have some sort of merge point.

Or you mean 8 EGT sensors?

Quick Reply: Holley Terminator X and running motor on alky/methanol/M1 ?