Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

low profile turbo air filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 11:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyTA
To be fair.. he said:

"A large filter with lots of surface area robs power. This little flat filter will rob tons of power"

He's saying that *of course* this small filter will be a power-killer, when even a larger one is.
I am aware of what he said. The whole statement is very misleading, hence multiple people commenting about it.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Hey we’re all friends here just trying to help each other out!!
Old 10-30-2019, 12:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragframe
That’s what I’m saying. You don’t see air filters on serious track cars. If they werent a restriction, don’t you think they would run them to save their turbo/engine from debris?
Most of them dont give a **** about potential damage, deep pockets etc...

On a drag race environment, the track should be clean, so risk should be fairly low....depends how much risk you can afford, for in many cases negligible gain.

On the other hand....there are Baja racers making say 900-1000hp.....I'm sure their filters are not restrictive, and they are very serious race cars. Maybe people might suggest they run without as they'd make more power ?
Old 10-30-2019, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
At 5 psi my procharger inlet hat and filter was a restriction...
I will say my elbow was 5 inch on the turbo and 4 inch at the filter. The filter was a big one since the elbow allowed me to run a huge filter. Maybe my results a skewed due to the components that required the elbow in the first place being so close to the inlet of the turbo since the elbow did push straight against the back of the headlight. The headlight assembly had to be removed to get the elbow off the inlet of the turbo. Who knows. I was just passing on my back to back results that i had tested with my set up.

Maybe i should have tried it with the headlight assembly out instead but i wanted to see the difference it made for me elbow or no elbow in my engine compartment.

For the OP id do just about anything besides that tiny filter. Short of the green death filter or a screen.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
On the other hand....there are Baja racers making say 900-1000hp.....I'm sure their filters are not restrictive, and they are very serious race cars. Maybe people might suggest they run without as they'd make more power ?
I can see the sarcasm here, but ya see, the difference is, most people here aren't racing in SAND/DIRT. Sure, the baja racers will make more power, for about 2 minutes. But that's before the sand performed an in frame honing of the cylinders, resulting in insane blowby/low compression. So they actually need a filter.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:11 PM
8 Second Club

Received 744 Likes on 546 Posts

IF you have enough surface area to flow the amount of air the engine needs, the filter it's not a restriction... Put a filter that flows 1000hp worth of air on a 500 hp engine and there will be no power lost. I saw zero performance gain without a filter VS with. With that amount of space you'll never get enough surface area to flow decent power. I'd make something personally. SOme sort of flat pleated filter. Biggest you can fit. Make a small box with an inlet.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
I can see the sarcasm here, but ya see, the difference is, most people here aren't racing in SAND/DIRT. Sure, the baja racers will make more power, for about 2 minutes. But that's before the sand performed an in frame honing of the cylinders, resulting in insane blowby/low compression. So they actually need a filter.

As do street cars.

So for all those with restrictive filters, just how restrictive are they ? In terms of power, or pressure inside the filter during operation ? Must be a lot with good data ?
Old 10-30-2019, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 557 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by chinaoreo
******..u have this clamped to a turbo.. ? Just making sure it has a hose clamp style flange.. can’t find anymore pics of it anywhere
Yes sir I do, worm gear clamp makes for easy removal.
It's got a metal lid that's part of the filter so it won't collapse too, been running it around 12-13 lbs. and has been good.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The ******
Yes sir I do, worm gear clamp makes for easy removal.
It's got a metal lid that's part of the filter so it won't collapse too, been running it around 12-13 lbs. and has been good.
awesome thanks..! Although k&n never mentions it anywhere it seems like they made it specifically for tight turbo setups
Old 10-31-2019, 12:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jordoza
I couldnt get it out of my head so i looked it up its not silicone intakes its called intake hoses. Just look up cobra inyake elbow and the first place that comes up is intake hoses.
hey jordoza.. yea I have seen the cobra elbows but even coming off the elbow there’s not much room anywhere to put a good filter. Idk I might be able to find a place for it.. but do u think I have enough Room to even fit the cobra elbow..?

Old 10-31-2019, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It would be tight but i actually think it would work. What size is the inlet on that turbo. They have drawing on the intake hoses web site that will help you figure if its gonna work.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

here are the specs on there 4 inch cobra elbow then add a straight piece with the air filter on that pointed down or two 90s making a path for the filter to end up above your air to air is possile also. Honestly looks like our isssues are very similiar.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is a pic of my set up. You can see the cobra elbow on the turbo. it points straight down and has a 15 degree section of pipe and the a big 4 inch flanged cone filter on it. The headlight assembly sits right against the elbow under the radiator support lip.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by chinaoreo
hey jordoza.. yea I have seen the cobra elbows but even coming off the elbow there’s not much room anywhere to put a good filter. Idk I might be able to find a place for it.. but do u think I have enough Room to even fit the cobra elbow..?

Hey man, guess we both go to good places for information!

I’ve just got the turbo guard for turbos. Thought about running a pipe around sides of my radiator and filter in front.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Z32_5.3
Hey man, guess we both go to good places for.. information!

Lol that. I would be lost without the Interweb.. looks like u will have plenty of room but yea might have to get a bit crafty

I’ve just got the turbo guard for turbos. Thought about running a pipe around sides of my radiator and filter in front.
Lol true that.. . I would be lost without the Interweb.. looks like u will have plenty of room but yea might have to get a bit crafty

Quick Reply: low profile turbo air filter