Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

1968 Camaro with mild LS1, Terminator X and turbo log.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 575 Likes on 357 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default 1968 Camaro with mild LS1, Terminator X and turbo log.

Not sure if anyone has followed my build on pro-touring.com, (Penny Pincher Camaro) but I have been building my Camaro for the last 4 years and spend the last summer just driving it. I've always wanted to add a turbo to something and I'm starting to gather parts now to start my mission to boost.

So far I'm in the very early planning stage and step one is installing a Terminator X ECU. I've purchased a turbo log manifold from a local guy that didn't fit his project. It's a rough casting and I believe it's the ones you can find on eBay now for $279ish. I got it for next to nothing so I'll use it if I can. Anyway my plan as of now is to try and make the log work since I will be running a low mount AC compressor and won't be able to use a truck manifold easily.

I want to run the same driver's side shorty header I have now and run a 2.25" crossover to the passenger side log. It's a T4 flange and I'm looking at the vs racing 7875 next gen denmah kit and using what I can of the components that come with it.

I'm not looking to go crazy with boost but I'd like to run somewhere below 10 psi. My LS1 is a typical SBE with 799 heads, ls6 cam, ls6 intake and shorty headers. Runs good n/a but of course I want more. I also picked up a lq4 long block with 317 with heads and a set of LS3 heads. I've considered running that but not sure I want the weight penalty. I've also considering pulling the 317 heads off and running those instead of the 799s.

I know I will have a ton of questions but would appreciate any input on what I've got planned so far. I haven't test fit the log manifold yet since I don't have a turbo to mount on it to see if it will even fit under the hood. I'd modify it to work if necessary. I have the welding skills to build what I need to get a complete kit built.

I'm also unsure of what all inputs and outputs I'll need to have the Terminator X control the boost. Any recommendations are appreciated. I'm doing my best to read up as much as I can, but there is a lot to see here. If there is a link to someone's build who is similar to mine I'd appreciate the heads up.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 12-20-2019, 09:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

The setup you have on 10# is gunna be a very fun ride and should be really reliable on a conservative tune.

The 6.0 with the ls3 heads and a good cam is gunna be worth a lot of power over the ls1 with the 799 heads and ls6 cam.

The weight won’t make a bit of difference with the power it would make. And the iron block is always a nice piece of mind if you decide to really lean on it later.

Although I may see your concern though with a pro touring type of car (I’m always stuck in the drag mindset). The turbo kit alone is going to add at least what a iron block will
Old 12-22-2019, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the process of stacking up components in my garage to build a car almost like your plans. I have a 67 camaro that I'm basically doing a "semi" pro-touring set up. I've aquired a LQ4 and a 4L80e and plan on doing a denmah build too. Cant wait to see yours come into play; I'm sure you'll be ahead of me. Keep us posted!
Old 12-26-2019, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hope this helps sir....

The following users liked this post:
ryeguy2006a (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 575 Likes on 357 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

That video is very helpful, thanks for the link.

Any thoughts on how the length of the crossover will affect performance? I'm asking, because this is a lowered car I have limited ground clearance. I measured a few nights ago and I'm at about 5 3/4" to the bottom of the oil pan, and if I'm adding in a 2.25" pipe and give it clearance, I'm taking up a significant amount of that clearance. So, my thoughts are either take my crossover behind the t56 where I have more clearance and then connect it back to the log. Thoughts?

My only other option may be to find or make a 2.25" oval pipe to give me the ground clearance I need.

Quick Reply: 1968 Camaro with mild LS1, Terminator X and turbo log.