Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Intercooler brand

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 430 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by SCLT1
So if I push 8-10lbs of boost with my blower and use my eBay intercooler with spraying methanol I’m still going to loose a bunch of boost? 10lbs of boost lost seems pretty high but haven’t had enough experience with a intercooler and I’m not a tuner.
No, you're not going to lose a bunch of boost.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by SCLT1
So if I push 8-10lbs of boost with my blower and use my eBay intercooler with spraying methanol I’m still going to loose a bunch of boost? 10lbs of boost lost seems pretty high but haven’t had enough experience with a intercooler and I’m not a tuner.
Depends on the size and makeup of that intercooler.

how much loss, depends on how much you're trying to put through it. They're all variables.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Okay thanks guys. Either way whatever boost I push it’s not going to be a track car anyhow just a weekend warrior around town once awhile. So unless I’m driving it around when it’s 100+ outside I should be fine.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:27 PM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by AwesomeAuto
What exactly would be the ideal comparison though?
Pre/post temps might not correlate to pre/post pressure, or power.

What if you test 2 intercoolers and the one with better temperature drop makes less power but at less PSI,
do you increase boost to try and match the boost curve of the one with less temp drop, more pressure drop, but higher final boost pressure and power?
Typically the IC that have higher pressure drop across the core don't cool significantly better, usually quite the opposite the lower pressure drop IC perform better. If you have wastegate pinned shut and the turbo will only make 35PSI, the IC restricting flow is not going to make as much power as the core that allows 35PSI to the manifold.

For the vast majority of people the Treadstone or Bell level of IC is perfectly fine, used both at 1000+hp logs were all good. Would I like a Garrett, sure but I don't want to pay extra for it when something cheaper works for my power level. As you say, who cares what boost level is at!

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Depends on the size and makeup of that intercooler.

how much loss, depends on how much you're trying to put through it. They're all variables.
Very true, there comes a point where you run out of boost. You cant pulley down or spin it any harder and you have to increase efficiency.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Typically the IC that have higher pressure drop across the core don't cool significantly better, usually quite the opposite the lower pressure drop IC perform better. If you have wastegate pinned shut and the turbo will only make 35PSI, the IC restricting flow is not going to make as much power as the core that allows 35PSI to the manifold.
That really only holds true in typical circumstances, not all, because most intercoolers stick to one consistent design throughout.
So if they have poor intake flow going through them from bad design, they also have poor flow passing over the cooling fins for the same reasons.

Doesn't always hold true though, in the cases of using intercoolers that are too small.
The core design can be phenomenal, with too few rows to flow the appropriate amount of air, but the air passing through the cooling fins are able to cool with incredible efficiency.

Splitting hairs I assume, but would prove relevant in a test.
I guess the best way would be to test 3 intercoolers of identical dimensions for temp/pressure drop and power.
I have identical ebay and treadstone intercoolers already, I just don't think its worth the cash to get a Garrett core for this test alone.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by AwesomeAuto
That really only holds true in typical circumstances, not all, because most intercoolers stick to one consistent design throughout.
So if they have poor intake flow going through them from bad design, they also have poor flow passing over the cooling fins for the same reasons.

Doesn't always hold true though, in the cases of using intercoolers that are too small.
The core design can be phenomenal, with too few rows to flow the appropriate amount of air, but the air passing through the cooling fins are able to cool with incredible efficiency.

Splitting hairs I assume, but would prove relevant in a test.
I guess the best way would be to test 3 intercoolers of identical dimensions for temp/pressure drop and power.
I have identical ebay and treadstone intercoolers already, I just don't think its worth the cash to get a Garrett core for this test alone.
Do a “go-fund-me” for the test
Old 01-06-2020, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3 window
Do a “go-fund-me” for the test
Would just be easier to get someone to loan me their nice intercooler haha.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At the end of the day , isn't it all about efficiency ? I.e. how easy and quickly a turbo spools and easy and quickly the engine receives the pressurized air .
Old 01-06-2020, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Theduck
At the end of the day , isn't it all about efficiency ? I.e. how easy and quickly a turbo spools and easy and quickly the engine receives the pressurized air .
COOL pressurized air. Coolest air MASS with the least amount of pressure lost between the compressor and the intake valve. Keep in mind any restriction to the Intake also affects backpressure prior to the turbine. Backpressure pre turbine costs power.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 381 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Of course there are plenty of bad intercoolers. ***** core design, shitty open tubes, or very restrictive tubes etc etc.

I would even class my own extruded core design as fairly bad. It probably flows very well, but cooling abilities would be pretty ****.

If only Garrett would get their ******* act together and make the core size I want...and actually have it for sale, instead of listing it everywhere and it not being available !

But it's a little naive on the technology or whatever way you want to call it. A simple tube with a few fins could be classed as an intercooler...and not a new design either. But actual implementation of that "heat exchanger technology" would be ****. But it is a heat exchanger.
My question stands. As a long time member who has verifiable results from a proven combo, and has had over a decade of experience, have you ever had a "bad" intercooler? I understand that you could perhaps accidentally fall into a bad design, but really? You think China or any other region of the world with low labor costs can't make a good copy of damn near any metal part that only has to fit within the tolerances of a silicone coupling?
Old 01-07-2020, 08:18 AM
8 Second Club

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

There isn't a cheap core out there that has the turbulator density the Garrett does... Fact. This is why they are very efficient

And you can't lump all the cheap coolers into one... There are diffent designs

The typical bar plate like the treadstone and CX are not going to have dick for pressure drop. The turbulator density is wide open..... It flows great, thermally .... Meh

Then you have the cheap tube cores.... Those you are damn right can flow like dick and have major pressure drop
​​​​There are 2 parts to a cooler.... Thermal exchanger and flow volume

Why you can take different combos at the same power level and have different needs.

Take a 3L 2jz or a 6.0 lsx running at 1500hp

The 2jz is only going to have ~ half the flow volume (airspeed) in the core...... But yet have much more heat to deal with from the higher PR

The LS is far less heat but far more flow volume.... Even at identical power levels (mass air flow through core)

Last edited by rotary1307cc; 01-07-2020 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:36 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by gametech
My question stands. As a long time member who has verifiable results from a proven combo, and has had over a decade of experience, have you ever had a "bad" intercooler?
Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
There isn't a cheap core out there that has the turbulator density the Garrett does... Fact. This is why they are very efficient The typical bar plate like the treadstone and CX are not going to have dick for pressure drop. The turbulator density is wide open..... It flows great, thermally .... Meh
I believe his question relates to... if your $300 mehh intercooler has a 20 degree temp rise across a pass, is it really worth $1500 to upgrade to the superior Garrett that may only drop it to a 15 degree rise? Are either really defined as "bad" when both work well enough for most setups to perform well.

The following users liked this post:
WTF? (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 11:14 AM
8 Second Club

Who is arguing what you can get away with or not??

Why would you use any cooler at all?? What a waste.. guys do it hot air. You could save the precious 300$...

1500$ upgrade? Lol mmmk
Old 01-07-2020, 11:24 AM
8 Second Club

Who is arguing what you can get away with or not??

Why would you use any cooler at all?? What a waste.. guys do it hot air. You could save the precious 300$...

1500$ upgrade? Lol mmmk
Have a link to a cheaper complete Garrett intercooler? I did a quick search and the Shearer fab popped up for $1700.

If cheaper Garrett's (under $1000) are available in the same form factor as the Treadstones I'd like to take a look.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:41 AM
8 Second Club

Chiseled has the biggest Garrett 5.1" core for under a grand

http://chiseledperformance.net/intercoolers.htm
Old 01-07-2020, 11:47 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Here's a decent size Garrett core for only $450.

It really isnt that hard to make up some end tanks. Or you could even buy a cheap **** IC for $100 and cut the end tanks off and use them

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intercooler...IAAOSwS3NcXeBc

And to even suggest a cheap ***** China core is made the same and is as efficient as a proper Garrett core...clearly has zero understanding of what one does, and how it is constructed.
This is a very old article now, but still decent info and examples to cover the basics

https://www.are.com.au/techtalk/intecoolersMR.htm
Old 01-07-2020, 01:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,307 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The typical bar plate like the treadstone and CX are not going to have dick for pressure drop. The turbulator density is wide open..... It flows great, thermally .... Meh

I believe I've heard people say that the cheap ebay stuff actually acts better to dissipate from the thermal mass of the IC metal itself vs. actual heat transfer from flow through the core LOLOL.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:12 PM
8 Second Club

Chiseled has the biggest Garrett 5.1" core for under a grand

http://chiseledperformance.net/intercoolers.htm
Thanks, have used their stuff in builds but didn’t realize they used a Garrett core. Odd their Bell core is rated for higher HP despite being slightly smaller then the Garrett.
1300HP Air To Air Intercooler
  • Garrett Bar and Plate Core
  • Core Measures 27.8x 12.7 x 5.1
  • Overall 32.5 x 12.7 x 5.1
1500HP Air to AIr Intercooler
  • Bell Bar and Plate Core
  • Core Measures 18x 12 x 6
  • Overal size 22.5 x 12 x 6
Old 01-08-2020, 08:20 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a decent size Garrett core for only $450.

It really isnt that hard to make up some end tanks. Or you could even buy a cheap **** IC for $100 and cut the end tanks off and use them

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intercooler...IAAOSwS3NcXeBc

And to even suggest a cheap ***** China core is made the same and is as efficient as a proper Garrett core...clearly has zero understanding of what one does, and how it is constructed.
This is a very old article now, but still decent info and examples to cover the basics

https://www.are.com.au/techtalk/intecoolersMR.htm
DAM !!! that's a long read... But has a ton of info . I wonder how many actually red it.
funny side note , I've Ben to the HOLLEY LS fest in Kentucky and talked to people with turbo cars/trucks , and asked them if the dynoed or dyno tuned it . their answer ... No , I got it off eBay .wich tells me try are just after a LOOK of intimidation .
Old 01-08-2020, 09:02 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Theduck
DAM !!! that's a long read... But has a ton of info . I wonder how many actually red it.
funny side note , I've Ben to the HOLLEY LS fest in Kentucky and talked to people with turbo cars/trucks , and asked them if the dynoed or dyno tuned it . their answer ... No , I got it off eBay .wich tells me try are just after a LOOK of intimidation .
Kinda funny as thats the way I feel about dyno numbers. Guys always trying to flex their dyno sheets without any other numbers to back them up. I hardly dyno any cars unless the owner is hype about it, most are street tuned and go to the track and run 8’s. Meanwhile the guys flexin their 1100+ dyno sheets are struggling to get out of the 10’s. Personally I would rather say I dont know how much power it makes and win then claim some extraordinary number and under perform. If an ebay setup runs 8’s and safety gear is only good for 8.50 then thats good enough for me. I don't have a race car or a race car budget to go faster in a street car.

Quick Reply: Intercooler brand