Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SBE LS1 P1SC-1 Build - Replace Head Gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default SBE LS1 P1SC-1 Build - Replace Head Gaskets?

Hi All,

Stats:
02 WS6 - A4
Stock Bottom End - 106K Miles
Hotcam
Longtubes
3.73's in crappy 10 Bolt
Intake Manifold and CAI
2800 Stall and built 4l60e

I am installing my P1SC-1 kit soon and am wondering if some advice I've received recently is accurate. I was told that my SBE LS1 did not have MLS Head Gaskets and that I needed to install MLS gaskets and good head bolts in order for the heads to not lift under boost. Is this accurate?

The previous owner of the car yanked the motor for the mods listed above and at that time replaced the head gaskets (apparently not MLS). The shop I was considering having the work done at said they could not see the tabs poking out the side where the heads meet the block that are indicative of MLS gaskets. Before I proceed with putting on the procharger kit should I change them? What's the worst that could happen if not? Lift a head then have to replace them at that time? Doesn't sound like a big deal and would save a lot of time if that's the case.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-17-2021, 06:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would leave it alone unless you have a serious boost or horsepower goal at which time the stock pistons and rods, 4L60 tranny, and 10 bolt would be bigger concerns IMO.

Get a decent fuel pump and set of injectors in her and a safe tune. Drive it and have fun. If it lifts a head then you're making decent boost on a stock LS1 and it's time for better gaskets and a set of quality bolts or studs at that time.

The following users liked this post:
lt1553 (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JosephIV
I would leave it alone unless you have a serious boost or horsepower goal at which time the stock pistons and rods, 4L60 tranny, and 10 bolt would be bigger concerns IMO.

Get a decent fuel pump and set of injectors in her and a safe tune. Drive it and have fun. If it lifts a head then you're making decent boost on a stock LS1 and it's time for better gaskets and a set of quality bolts or studs at that time.
Thanks for that, reaffirms my thoughts and path forward.

Quick Reply: SBE LS1 P1SC-1 Build - Replace Head Gaskets?