Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Opinions on different meth/spray kits

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 07:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts

Default Opinions on different meth/spray kits

Since I don't really have room for an IC'er I am leaning toward using a meth kit. There are a bunch of diff ones, prob. everyone has their fav. Kind of looking for a Co. with good tech support. Using an LS6 intake, but diff opinions on distribution using that intake. Considering switching to a 4 bar. style intake, with a 90 degree adapter, which might be better for distribution. But doing some measuring, kind of like a 1/2" from clearing the hood or not. It would also give me better access to the back area of the engine, which is pretty congested.
I don't race it, but may hit a rental or T & T now and then, but just playing on the street intake temps jump pretty quick. I run 93 octane, but have a FF sensor, although no E85 around. I would like to come up with a tune on like E50.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,304 Posts

K.I.S.S. Build your own kit and use a boost switch. You don't need all the fancy progressive stuff and you can build your own kit to your taste for relatively cheap. Put a hobbs switch in the feed line before the nozzle and you can guarantee that the kit is on and spraying when expected.

Last edited by ddnspider; 06-08-2021 at 08:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Forcefed86 (06-09-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 08:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I have the Alkycontrol kit. $950 expensive and wasn’t happy about it. However, now that I realize my car is so dependent on my spray, glad I have a kit with the low fuel, pressure,turn on led with purge button. Pump is quality so not worried about anything.

if my pump doesn’t work and safety timing is not enough then good chance my motor will open up. Glad I spent the money. I spray M1 so I’m dependent on the fuel portion not just air cooling.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 379 Likes on 277 Posts

I can’t really say how much power I gained with meth since I did the BTR equalizer intake at the same time, but above 5000 rpm the power increase is noticeable.

The equalizer is suppose to solve the air distribution problems.

I run 50 percent ethanol and only a 3 gpm nozzle currently on at 3 psi. IAT was never an issue with the Procharger, but it would slowly climb during a pull. Nothing significant but it did slowly increase. Now with 50/50 water meth my iat drops during a pull. On an 80 degree day my iat was about 90 after a long drive and during a pull it dropped into the 70’s. I stopped after the pull and the aluminum intake was cooler than it is while idling in the garage at full operating temp.

I have about $250 in my meth kit. I’m at low 11’s afr and 18 degrees peak timing. I’m running such a small amount and with ethanol in the main tank if it fails nothing will get hurt. Timing mark moved a little cooler with the meth and all plugs look equal so I could probably add a degree of timing, but I already have more power than I can use and it’s a safe tune up so I’m leaving it.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

I run a snow performance stage 2 kit. But from what I have seen of other kits none of them are particularly better than the next...its more about small conveniences. Mine has an indicator for low reservoir level which is nice. The progressive pump pressure is probably over rated since you can just stage multiple nozzles with different hobbs switches on any setup anyway. But I like that I can ramp mine from 10psi up to 25psi and run 20gph+10gph dual nozzles without having to wire in hobbs switches and solenoids by just moving up the final pressure to a higher and higher boost until it stops drowning it at lower boost. But you get a menu and settings to change engagement psi, ramp in rate, built in boost gauge, the actual gauge looks good if you're into that. Snow had good tech support and customer service when I needed it. I had the controller freeze up on me one day, they sent me a new unit no charge in like a day.

or you can buy a pump and hobbs switches and rig up your own.

Water/meth has soooo many options really.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:48 AM
8 Second Club

Received 746 Likes on 547 Posts

Depends how much you want out of it.

Do you have methanol at local race shops you can buy by the gallon? With a flex fuel sensor you can dump straight meth into your tank as well. A 30% blend of meth and pump is pretty potent. It would put you miles ahead of any typical meth inj kit. Also don't need to worry about distribution that way.

As far as a kits concerned it depends how involved you want to get and how much performance you want out of it. If you want the simple KISS low volume washer fluid kit, there's no reason to pay kit prices IMO. Just build it yourself as mentioned. If you want a 100% meth kit that will likely get you the most gains the alkycontrol kits are the best IMO. Customer support is VERY good and they are the only kit i'm aware of that's truly rated
for 100% meth.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:59 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Depends how much you want out of it.

Do you have methanol at local race shops you can buy by the gallon? With a flex fuel sensor you can dump straight meth into your tank as well. A 30% blend of meth and pump is pretty potent. It would put you miles ahead of any typical meth inj kit. Also don't need to worry about distribution that way.

As far as a kits concerned it depends how involved you want to get and how much performance you want out of it. If you want the simple KISS low volume washer fluid kit, there's no reason to pay kit prices IMO. Just build it yourself as mentioned. If you want a 100% meth kit that will likely get you the most gains the alkycontrol kits are the best IMO. Customer support is VERY good and they are the only kit i'm aware of that's truly rated
for 100% meth.
Tell is more about a 30 percent blend of meth and pump gas. I’ve considered that before, but never found much info on it.

What level of ethanol would it take to compare to a 30 percent blend of methanol? Are there any benefits to e85 over 30 percent methanol other than cost?
Old 06-09-2021, 11:25 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by BCNUL8R
Tell is more about a 30 percent blend of meth and pump gas. I’ve considered that before, but never found much info on it.

What level of ethanol would it take to compare to a 30 percent blend of methanol? Are there any benefits to e85 over 30 percent methanol other than cost?
They are pretty similar fuels that will have pretty similar benefits. With the edge going to methanol IMO. Though it is more demanding on the fuel system. I can't say 30% methanol is as good as E85. Its likely not. But I can say I see little difference between E50 and E85. So if you were to run say M50. I'd go as far as to say its as good as pump E85, if not better. Esp if you are blending it yourself wiht a better base fuel like ethanol free 91/93 octane.

The blending/FLEX tables on the Mega Squirt are all I'm familiar with. You can simply input fuel multiplier for 100% mixtures. With a 100% ethanol fuel, the default multiplier is 163%. (I found 168% worked better for my setup) Then the ECU calculates the percentage of enrichment based on the ethanol content between 0-100% reported by the flex sensor.

With methanol its basically a 200% multiplier instead of the 163%. I'd input those numbers and add 10% methanol and see how it acts/reads on the WB02.

A Buick buddy mixes his own "M50" 50% 91 (ethanol free) and 50% methanol race fuel. He doesn't use a flex sensor and just tunes for that specific fuel. His setup runs extremely well, with zero signs of detonation at healthy boost and timing levels. Doesn't seem to have any of the annoying side effects seen with 100% methanol fueled vehicles at 50% either.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 576 Likes on 428 Posts

so a flex sensor will also read methanol? im not enough of a chemist to understand how similar or different ethanol and methanol are
Old 06-09-2021, 11:40 AM
8 Second Club

Yup it will read methanol.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 476 Likes on 366 Posts

Methanol is really really way worse about forming crud in the fuel system, one advantage of the ethanol is its not as reactive to aluminum either..

On sprints running straight Methanol I have to flush the lines after each day with gas to keep the grunge crystals from forming.
Additives work to control it,, I use Klots specifically but only because that's what the shop I hang around carries..
Old 06-09-2021, 04:01 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Methanol is really really way worse about forming crud in the fuel system, one advantage of the ethanol is its not as reactive to aluminum either..

On sprints running straight Methanol I have to flush the lines after each day with gas to keep the grunge crystals from forming.
Additives work to control it,, I use Klots specifically but only because that's what the shop I hang around carries..
Methanol is actually more compatible with alum than ethanol. Ethanol is corrosive to alum... Look at the chemical compatibility charts.

I agree 100% methanol is pretty bad stuff. Much more so than ethanol. But I've seen no signs of anything you speak of in 50% quantities mixed with standard fuel. I have seen all of what you are talking about and more on 100% methanol fueled engines. Same with E98. It gunks up my carbs like nobodies business. And any exposed alum is toast in no time. As with the 50% meth blend though, I see none of this with 50% ethanol blends. I do see issues with E85.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:36 PM
10 Second Club

Quick calculation and I believe the 30% meth in pump gas has a stoich of 12.21

I use 11.84 for stoich when tuning to straight 50% ethanol.

So fuel consumption between 30% meth and 50% ethanol should be fairly close.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts

I have pretty much decided on the AEM kit, may try pre turbo at first, I have 3 short 90's from turbo to TB.
I have a MAT sensor, and blow off valve in that short area, but could fit it somewhere in there. Should be a learning curve for sure.

Quick Reply: Opinions on different meth/spray kits