Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo or Supercharger? 69 Chevelle, Gen 4 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2022 | 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gametech
I am still stuck on somebody picking a wide, long, heavy car for autocross.
If I had a '69 Chevelle I would do whatever I damn well please with it, lol .
The following 3 users liked this post by theunderlord:
C5_Pete (03-29-2022), The BallSS (03-29-2022), toddrparr (03-29-2022)
Old 03-28-2022 | 10:00 AM
Teching In

sorry for my late response, was out of town for the weekend...

lots of great stuff here.

i am running ls3 heads on it. As for the reason I selected the big, wide and heavy car for autocross, why not? The best racecar is the one you own, right? I do have a cage in it already that is good to 9.99 I believe. I do also have tools and TIG and MIG experience, so the fab work is not a big deal and budget is but isn't a big factor. I would rather spend less, of course. keep the suggestion coming!!
The following users liked this post:
C5_Pete (03-29-2022)
Old 03-28-2022 | 11:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gametech
I am still stuck on somebody picking a wide, long, heavy car for autocross. Also, the OP has not responded, so who knows? Turbo is obviously cheapest if he has any fab skills, and centrifugal turbo is obviously off the table for autocross, but most definitely in the running for 1/4 mile or roadrace. PD blower will put massive off idle torque to the ground, but is the chassis set up to handle it? Too many unanswered questions.
I chose it because it is what I have... it is a lot of fun to throw 3800 lbs around the autocross course, I compete in the CAMT class with F bodies and other 3200lb plus cars. I do have the skills and the means to build a turbo system and I do drag and run time trials from time to time. I also put 1 to 200 miles on it per week...
Old 03-28-2022 | 11:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rpturbo
There's just a lot of info on your side missing imo, to give any solid recommendations. What ecm is on the car? Do you tune it yourself? If not are you willing to learn what it takes to tune it, or do you want something you can just get in and drive?
I believe a turbo setup is way more versatile. You can start low, and turn it up. You can adjust power throughout with more abilities that just moving timing like a blower car.
On a turbo, once your parts are bought, they are bought. A blower car, if you want more, your buying a pulley and belt. Maybe 2 pullies.
If you want something straight forward, a Procharger is the way to go. You can tune it or have it tuned and it can be done in literally 3-4 days. They make fantastic kits, and make good power, but I personally prefer turbos.
Here's a single on my buddies 69 Chevelle.
I am currently running an E38/t42 combo tuned by me with HP tuners, I am switching to a Holley system soon. The Holley looks a bit easier and more intuitive for boosted apps.
Old 03-28-2022 | 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice! Well it sounds like you have the skills to do all the major fab work yourself, which is a huge saver of time and money. So then it just depends on what makes more sense to you. Having LS3 heads already is a big hurdle cleared in the Supercharger direction since you won't need those adapter plates for the cylinder heads that the LSA and LS9 Blowers need to go from square port to rec, so that saves you some space height wise if that was a concern.

Check out this guys build on his turbo Chevelle. That might give you some inspiration for the turbo route.
The BallSS (03-29-2022)
Old 03-28-2022 | 01:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by theunderlord
Nice! Well it sounds like you have the skills to do all the major fab work yourself, which is a huge saver of time and money. So then it just depends on what makes more sense to you. Having LS3 heads already is a big hurdle cleared in the Supercharger direction since you won't need those adapter plates for the cylinder heads that the LSA and LS9 Blowers need to go from square port to rec, so that saves you some space height wise if that was a concern.

Check out this guys build on his turbo Chevelle. That might give you some inspiration for the turbo route.
Thanks, I have watched a few of this videos already.

My other thought on the turbo end was to run twin gt35s or equivalent.
Donny Wonder (06-20-2022)
Old 03-29-2022 | 09:15 AM
TECH Addict
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by toddrparr
Thanks, I have watched a few of this videos already.

My other thought on the turbo end was to run twin gt35s or equivalent.
If you're going to go turbo I'd gather more info so you get the turbos that are going to perform the way you want instead of being priced focused.
For auto cross I'd imagine you'd want quick response that will pull to redline so they may be smaller than expected for twins.
I don't know much about the GT35's but a higher quality turbo will perform better in all areas for more coin of course but worth it imho.
Old 03-29-2022 | 09:31 AM
10 Second Club
15 Year Member

Just because you can do fab work, doesn’t mean a turbo is the best power adder for this project. It may very well be, but your ability to fab should not be the determining factor.

As mentioned above, small twins that spool fast would be the way to go if you’re set on turbos. Personally, I like the idea of a Whipple/LSA type power adder for a street car.

Regardless, have fun and enjoy! Sounds like a great project!
The BallSS (03-29-2022)
Old 04-05-2022 | 04:09 PM
Staging Lane
10 Year Member

For street and autocross, you have to love the instant low end torque from a PD supercharger. Turbos and centrifugal superchargers are great for top end power, but realistically, at what RPM range do you spend the most time?
Old 04-06-2022 | 01:42 AM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

Something not mentioned yet is the ability to move weight around. Deciding where to hang a single turbo could have almost as much impact on weight distribution as relocating a battery. With most PD blowers, you are stuck adding all the weight front and center, with the exception of the extra cooler necessary to keep the water cool for the A/W IC. For most this is not a big consideration, but it could matter for autocross. Technically, the same could be done with twin turbos, but it would look pretty odd.
The following 2 users liked this post by gametech:
Project GatTagO (04-09-2022), The BallSS (04-06-2022)

Quick Reply: Turbo or Supercharger? 69 Chevelle, Gen 4 6.0