Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
OP - Please don't put a baby turbine T4 turbo behind 398CI

I agree.

Not sure why so many people want a lazy engine with a turbo, compression works great with boost.
Not sure why you're so quick to jump to such an ill-mannered conclusion? My LQ4 with the "lazy" stock compression ratio works fantastic for me. Fun to drive and can easily chug down the shitty pump gas around here (safely). It'll stomp just about anything on the street around here, and then when I'm done with that, I can hookup a trailer and drag my lawnmower across town. Or, fill the bed with plywood and woodworking tools and hit the interstate for 2+hrs. I'll keep my stock and "lazy" compression ratio thankyou very much.

Of course compression works with boost. Anything works with anything, potentially. Compression is beneficial for off boost power, no doubt. But there is no denying the rule of thumb that less compression and more boost will make more power, provided there is enough turbo for the application. All other variables held equal.

Of course, it is admittedly a give and take scenario and one has to ask themselves what they really are aiming for when making these decisions.
Old 05-19-2022, 09:07 AM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by ElQueFør
I agree.

Not sure why you're so quick to jump to such an ill-mannered conclusion? My LQ4 with the "lazy" stock compression ratio works fantastic for me. Fun to drive and can easily chug down the shitty pump gas around here (safely). It'll stomp just about anything on the street around here, and then when I'm done with that, I can hookup a trailer and drag my lawnmower across town. Or, fill the bed with plywood and woodworking tools and hit the interstate for 2+hrs. I'll keep my stock and "lazy" compression ratio thankyou very much.

Of course compression works with boost. Anything works with anything, potentially. Compression is beneficial for off boost power, no doubt. But there is no denying the rule of thumb that less compression and more boost will make more power, provided there is enough turbo for the application. All other variables held equal.

Of course, it is admittedly a give and take scenario and one has to ask themselves what they really are aiming for when making these decisions.
Running low compression is just leaving power on the table, there is no rule of thumb for low compression making more power, that thinking is for people that cant tune or have crap fuel. Higher compression and more boost makes more power every time, that's why actual fast cars run 11:1 or higher compression with 60+PSI from twin 98's.

I've run just over 11:1 on pump gas and it worked perfectly fine for years, we have E at the pump now and its almost $2 gal cheaper than reg gas so I use that. Don't even need an intercooler with E and 11:1 compression!
Old 05-20-2022, 02:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Running low compression is just leaving power on the table
Leaving power on the table is not necessarily a bad thing. You don't always know what kind of gas you're going to get when you're several hundred miles out on the road somewhere. I intentionally choose to leave power on the table in my application. I really don't care about competitive drag racing. I run a very conservative timing table. I only have 8 PSI springs in my gates. For me: longevity > max power.

I personally prefer to have a super safe combo that I can drive anywhere at anytime, and not have to think twice about the gas I'm going to find when I'm far afield.

there is no rule of thumb for low compression making more power
Maybe you should re-read that one?

Higher compression and more boost makes more power every time
Obviously? Again, I think you misunderstood me.

Also, the stock CR for an LQ4 is 9.4:1.... Don't know I'd call that low.....

that's why actual fast cars run 11:1 or higher compression with 60+PSI from twin 98's.
Really? So none of the sloppy style builds are fast? Like the Colorado? Or? OK LOL! Forcefed86 on this very forum comes to mind as well. IIRC he's well into the 8's with some lowly SBEs. Or are these type of builds not actual fast cars because they're not built by just whipping out a credit card and buying shiny new stuff from a catalog?

we have E at the pump now
Must be nice. It's starting to catch on here. But still nowhere near the availability of a lot of other places around the country.
Old 05-20-2022, 09:57 AM
8 Second Club

Leaving power on the table is not necessarily a bad thing. You don't always know what kind of gas you're going to get when you're several hundred miles out on the road somewhere. I intentionally choose to leave power on the table in my application. I really don't care about competitive drag racing. I run a very conservative timing table. I only have 8 PSI springs in my gates. For me: longevity > max power.

I personally prefer to have a super safe combo that I can drive anywhere at anytime, and not have to think twice about the gas I'm going to find when I'm far afield.

Maybe you should re-read that one?

Obviously? Again, I think you misunderstood me.

Also, the stock CR for an LQ4 is 9.4:1.... Don't know I'd call that low.....

Really? So none of the sloppy style builds are fast? Like the Colorado? Or? OK LOL! Forcefed86 on this very forum comes to mind as well. IIRC he's well into the 8's with some lowly SBEs. Or are these type of builds not actual fast cars because they're not built by just whipping out a credit card and buying shiny new stuff from a catalog?

Must be nice. It's starting to catch on here. But still nowhere near the availability of a lot of other places around the country.
9.4 is low, especially on only 8PSI, you have to run 20+ PSI on a 9.4 engine to make decent power. I can't say I've seen any particularly fast sloppy builds, very few seem to trap over 150, even less over 160. I'm aware of how far you can push a SBE, I've made over 1000hp with them. These days 8's aren't anything crazy, SBE guys are in the low 7's now but they aren't sloppy builds most of them are fancy turbos on methanol in lightweight race cars.

I build and tune all my own stuff as well as lots of other peoples. I'm the last one to credit card race as I will gladly tell someone they don't need something expensive or there is an easy way to do it cheaper. I run $100 Jegs wheels and cheap VSR turbos on my cars as I dont see the point of running anything more expensive. But there comes a time to spend some money with drivetrain and fueling, then when SBE limits have been exceeded its time to build an engine. I dont see the point of building an engine with low compression to make big power especially if good fuel is available. You can play it safe all you want but that doesnt make your statements below true:

That compression ratio you speak of for your combo is not ideal for boost. Compression makes power. But boost makes more.
there is no denying the rule of thumb that less compression and more boost will make more power, provided there is enough turbo for the application.
Old 05-20-2022, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

9.4 is low, especially on only 8PSI, you have to run 20+ PSI on a 9.4 engine to make decent power.
500+RWHP is nothing to scoff at. Not everything needs to be a max effort barnstorming race motor. And just because it isn't doesn't make it "lazy".

I can't say I've seen any particularly fast sloppy builds, very few seem to trap over 150, even less over 160. I'm aware of how far you can push a SBE, I've made over 1000hp with them. These days 8's aren't anything crazy, SBE guys are in the low 7's now but they aren't sloppy builds most of them are fancy turbos on methanol in lightweight race cars.

I guess that's the difference. I think it's cool that someone can go that fast, all with a JY pullout. Obviously a 350k mile shortblock isn't the best for the absolute meanest ETs and trap speeds, but that was entirely obvious wasn't it? But then here you are tipping your hat to sloppy even after you have said in here that you aren't impressed LMAO:

as sloppy said you can literally eat ice cream and do it.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/racer-s-l...ver-right.html

I'm the last one to credit card race
I don't know..... Looks like over half of the threads you start are dumping stuff in the classifieds/marketplace.

I dont see the point of building an engine with low compression to make big power especially if good fuel is available
And what if the fuel is more of a wildcard? The definition of a street car has been and always will be debated. Driving to work and the grocery store is cool and all, but not my subjective definition of what constitutes a street car. Driving the next 2 or 3 states over is more "street car" IMO.

You can play it safe all you want but that doesnt make your statements below true
But there is no denying the rule of thumb that less compression and more boost will make more power, provided there is enough turbo for the application. All other variables held equal.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/co...%20its%20power

"When discussing compression ratios that are typically in the automotive realm—between 8:1 and 15:1—the amount of power you could expect to pick up will vary between 2 and 4 percent per point of static compression gained."

https://itstillruns.com/horsepower-v...-10009983.html

"The general rule of thumb is that, not accounting for temperature-induced power losses, a turbo will increase horsepower by about 7 percent per pound of boost over a naturally aspirated configuration, and a supercharger will increase it by 5 or 6 percent per pound of boost"

https://powersports.jepistons.com/blog/compression-ratio-theory-and-how-to-calculate-in-powersports#:~:text=The%20generally%20accepted%20g auge%20for,the%20power%20to%2051.5%20horsepower

"The generally accepted gauge for adding compression is that one full point of compression can add between 3 to 4 percent power. So, if an engine is making 50 horsepower and we add a full point of compression (from 11 to 12:1 for example), this could potentially push the power to 51.5 horsepower. "

Supposing the fueling is up to the task and all other variables held equal, a naturally aspirated engine is functionally limited by the amount of atmosphere it has to inhale is it not? If you double the atmosphere by hitting it with 14.7 PSI, you are in effect doubling the power output. Of course it will be slightly less in practice because of parasitic power loss etc.

So, a 300HP engine should make 600HP with 14.7 PSI of boost:
Turbo selection-wrzgvm1.png

And, the same 300HP engine should make 320 HP with 1 PSI of boost:
Turbo selection-sey7lky.png

In the example above, 1 PSI of boost is about 6% increase in power.

Raising the compression 1 full point equates to a power increase of about 3-4%

Increasing boost by 1 PSI equates to a power increase of about 6%

Last edited by ElQueFør; 05-20-2022 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-21-2022, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

500+RWHP is nothing to scoff at. Not everything needs to be a max effort barnstorming race motor. And just because it isn't doesn't make it "lazy".

I guess that's the difference. I think it's cool that someone can go that fast, all with a JY pullout. Obviously a 350k mile shortblock isn't the best for the absolute meanest ETs and trap speeds, but that was entirely obvious wasn't it? But then here you are tipping your hat to sloppy even after you have said in here that you aren't impressed LMAO:

I don't know..... Looks like over half of the threads you start are dumping stuff in the classifieds/marketplace.

And what if the fuel is more of a wildcard? The definition of a street car has been and always will be debated. Driving to work and the grocery store is cool and all, but not my subjective definition of what constitutes a street car. Driving the next 2 or 3 states over is more "street car" IMO.

"When discussing compression ratios that are typically in the automotive realm—between 8:1 and 15:1—the amount of power you could expect to pick up will vary between 2 and 4 percent per point of static compression gained."

"The general rule of thumb is that, not accounting for temperature-induced power losses, a turbo will increase horsepower by about 7 percent per pound of boost over a naturally aspirated configuration, and a supercharger will increase it by 5 or 6 percent per pound of boost"

https://powersports.jepistons.com/blog/compression-ratio-theory-and-how-to-calculate-in-powersports#:~:text=The%20generally%20accepted%20g auge%20for,the%20power%20to%2051.5%20horsepower

"The generally accepted gauge for adding compression is that one full point of compression can add between 3 to 4 percent power. So, if an engine is making 50 horsepower and we add a full point of compression (from 11 to 12:1 for example), this could potentially push the power to 51.5 horsepower. "

Supposing the fueling is up to the task and all other variables held equal, a naturally aspirated engine is functionally limited by the amount of atmosphere it has to inhale is it not? If you double the atmosphere by hitting it with 14.7 PSI, you are in effect doubling the power output. Of course it will be slightly less in practice because of parasitic power loss etc.

very interesting info, thank you for sharing
Old 05-23-2022, 10:26 AM
8 Second Club

I don't do anything with 500hp, just not worth my time. If that thrills you then rock on.

You must be bored, did you have fun stalking me while I built another turbo kit?

I drive my cars all over, never had a problem with fuel, runs perfectly fine on any available pump gas.

Selling parts to upgrade makes sense to me, makes sense to others that come to me as well, whatever I sell comes off their tab. I've had friends walk away with a profit after a turbo build by selling their old parts. What do you do, let old parts rot on the shelf?
Old 05-23-2022, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't do anything with 500hp, just not worth my time. If that thrills you then rock on.
You making a post with anything containing useful information or data from a reputable and cited source isn't worth your time either, apparently.

You came in here swinging because, I said in effect, it will be possible to make more power by raising the boost level, than by raising the compression level a comparable unit.

You have failed to prove otherwise.

You must be bored, did you have fun stalking me while I built another turbo kit?
Stalking someone by viewing what they chose to plaster all over the world wide web? How laughable.

It took all of 30 seconds and several clicks to find out among other things, that you're basically a hypocrite. You say in this thread how unimpressed you are with sloppy builds and they're not fast. Yet in another thread easily found with minimal effort on my part, you're nodding to the whole sloppy mantra as shown above in post #25.

I drive my cars all over, never had a problem with fuel, runs perfectly fine on any available pump gas.
Tough "street" car brah!

What do you do, let old parts rot on the shelf?
Well I have been. But PM me your address and I'll start mailing you all my unneeded parts. Whatever you do with them is fine with me.
Old 05-23-2022, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

OP your fine with your 11 5 to 1 engine as is. Don't spend money chasing someone else's bullshit. Don't change you engine to lower comp if your willing to run e85. I promise I've run 12 to 1 and 25 psi on e and never had an issue. We can argue some bull but it won't answer your question. Your fine. Run your engine as is and slap 10psi on it and it will make your number easily.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

I have always been more of a lower comp. thinking deal, let the boost make up the diff. Main reason is politicians, tomorrow they could order 87 octane max, and I could still drive. I see E85 going away one day, esp. if food shortages happen. Food or fuel, who do you think will win. Many years ago, they came out with gasohol,
was actually early E85, didn't catch on. No E85 near me, so I run 93. Everybody can make up their own mind, build it the way you want.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:01 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by forcd ind
I have always been more of a lower comp. thinking deal, let the boost make up the diff. Main reason is politicians, tomorrow they could order 87 octane max, and I could still drive. I see E85 going away one day, esp. if food shortages happen. Food or fuel, who do you think will win. Many years ago, they came out with gasohol,
was actually early E85, didn't catch on. No E85 near me, so I run 93. Everybody can make up their own mind, build it the way you want.
I've ran my 11:1 engine on 20PSI on 93, works perfectly fine but E85 is cheaper, smells better, and makes more power. If E85 goes away I'd probably have to put my IC back on but otherwise not much would change.

Originally Posted by jordoza
OP your fine with your 11 5 to 1 engine as is. Don't spend money chasing someone else's bullshit. Don't change you engine to lower comp if your willing to run e85. I promise I've run 12 to 1 and 25 psi on e and never had an issue. We can argue some bull but it won't answer your question. Your fine. Run your engine as is and slap 10psi on it and it will make your number easily.
LOL What you dont wanna listen to trolls that say lower compression makes more power?

You making a post with anything containing useful information or data from a reputable and cited source isn't worth your time either, apparently.

You came in here swinging because, I said in effect, it will be possible to make more power by raising the boost level, than by raising the compression level a comparable unit.

You have failed to prove otherwise.

Stalking someone by viewing what they chose to plaster all over the world wide web? How laughable.

It took all of 30 seconds and several clicks to find out among other things, that you're basically a hypocrite. You say in this thread how unimpressed you are with sloppy builds and they're not fast. Yet in another thread easily found with minimal effort on my part, you're nodding to the whole sloppy mantra as shown above in post #25.

Tough "street" car brah!

Well I have been. But PM me your address and I'll start mailing you all my unneeded parts. Whatever you do with them is fine with me.
Cool story bruh. Unlike you my source is my experience, I don't need to cite anything, either take it or leave it makes no difference to me. Sloppy builds are cool and also make more than 500hp, but most aren't stunningly fast as its just guys having fun with cheap parts, can't fault that. However, most people (even Matt himself) grow out of that phase and start doing nicer and faster builds. Perhaps one day you'll grow out of that 500hp range too!
Old 05-24-2022, 10:36 AM
7 Second Club

Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Running low compression is just leaving power on the table, there is no rule of thumb for low compression making more power, that thinking is for people that cant tune or have crap fuel.
Every single OEM out there would disagree with you and I will disagree with you as well as I see this on a daily basis. As an example take a stock LT-1 and throw 8 psi of boost at it and you will have no timing in it and it will be extremely octane/knock limited on 91 oct with a shitty looking curve due to garbage combustion at such low timing. A full point drop of compression results in more power and a much better looking curve at the same boost level. How much timing you can get away with for a given combo has nothing to do with how good of a tuner you are as it's not your choice how much it will take.

To the OP, of course every combo is different and a lot depends on your environment and what your chosen fuel actually is but 11.5:1 compression with boost and pump gas just doesn't work out here in AZ with our **** 91 octane and it has nothing to do with how good of a tuner you have/are. General rule of thumb, running higher compression ratios when fuel isn't an issue and you aren't octane/knock limited will make more power vs having a lower compression ratio but more often then not octane is the limiting factor.
Old 05-24-2022, 12:12 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by NicD
Every single OEM out there would disagree with you and I will disagree with you as well as I see this on a daily basis. As an example take a stock LT-1 and throw 8 psi of boost at it and you will have no timing in it and it will be extremely octane/knock limited on 91 oct with a shitty looking curve due to garbage combustion at such low timing. A full point drop of compression results in more power and a much better looking curve at the same boost level. How much timing you can get away with for a given combo has nothing to do with how good of a tuner you are as it's not your choice how much it will take.

To the OP, of course every combo is different and a lot depends on your environment and what your chosen fuel actually is but 11.5:1 compression with boost and pump gas just doesn't work out here in AZ with our **** 91 octane and it has nothing to do with how good of a tuner you have/are. General rule of thumb, running higher compression ratios when fuel isn't an issue and you aren't octane/knock limited will make more power vs having a lower compression ratio but more often then not octane is the limiting factor.
OEM's have to factor in the majority of people are idiots, does anyone here want to be regulated to OEM power? You state you disagree, but continue on to solidify my point about crap fuel since you state the power loss in your area is due to **** fuel, hence octane/knock limited. As you state higher compression will make more power if the fuel supports it just like I said.
Old 05-24-2022, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL What you dont wanna listen to trolls that say lower compression makes more power?
If anyone is the troll here it is you. Coming right in here with a recalcitrant attitude.

My first statement was:

Compression makes power. But boost makes more.
And to reiterate, you have failed to prove otherwise, you just acted as a troll yourself and have talked about your purely anecdotal "evidence".

I will be a grown up and admit fault by saying that I probably could have worded my subsequent response to your trolling posts a little better. I see that now.

My initial response:

But there is no denying the rule of thumb that less compression and more boost will make more power
I should have worded it something like "There is no denying the rule of thumb that relying less on compression and more on boost will make more power, because 1 point of compression is worth 3-4% power gain and 1 PSI of boost is worth 5-6% power gain".

Unlike you my source is my experience, I don't need to cite anything, either take it or leave it makes no difference to me.
Purely anecdotal evidence. Because when it comes to math, you're either right or wrong, and you sir, are wrong. Or actually, you have failed to prove me wrong. Which is the whole reason you came in here to begin with isn't it?

Sloppy builds are cool and also make more than 500hp, but most aren't stunningly fast as its just guys having fun with cheap parts, can't fault that.
Yes, they are cool, there's one thing we agree on. As soon as I feel the burning desire, I'll swap springs in my gates. But I really don't care at the moment. I have been neck deep in vintage HDs for quite some time now and that takes up all of my wrenching time. Having fun with cheap parts is awesome and quite relatable.

However, most people (even Matt himself) grow out of that phase and start doing nicer and faster builds.
I wouldn't say he grew out of it. He has "paid his dues" is more the way I look at it. Doesn't hurt that he has various degrees of sponsors in terms of people sending him parts to "try" He's earned it though for sure.

The essence of sloppy mechanics is a return to traditional hot-rodding where a guy built what he could with what he had. And if there's one video to sum that up:

Perhaps one day you'll grow out of that 500hp range too!
I've been planning another turbo LS build for a while. But, I've been busy doing other projects for the past couple years or so, and glad of it.

My coolest car (and cooler than yours) makes at most 100 HP and has a whopping 6:1 compression. If you go fast all the time, people can't see ya.

Turbo selection-vsjsl8i.jpg

Kind of along the line of what you were saying here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...r-boost-3.html

Again, owning up to my choice of words which should have been better:

My initial response:

But there is no denying the rule of thumb that less compression and more boost will make more power
I should have worded it something like "There is no denying the rule of thumb that relying less on compression and more on boost will make more power, because 1 point of compression is worth 3-4% power gain and 1 PSI of boost is worth 5-6% power gain".

Old 05-24-2022, 01:04 PM
8 Second Club

Yes, they are cool, there's one thing we agree on. As soon as I feel the burning desire, I'll swap springs in my gates. But I really don't care at the moment. I have been neck deep in vintage HDs for quite some time now and that takes up all of my wrenching time. Having fun with cheap parts is awesome and quite relatable.

I wouldn't say he grew out of it. He has "paid his dues" is more the way I look at it. Doesn't hurt that he has various degrees of sponsors in terms of people sending him parts to "try" He's earned it though for sure.

The essence of sloppy mechanics is a return to traditional hot-rodding where a guy built what he could with what he had. And if there's one video to sum that up:

I've been planning another turbo LS build for a while. But, I've been busy doing other projects for the past couple years or so, and glad of it.

My coolest car (and cooler than yours) makes at most 100 HP and has a whopping 6:1 compression. If you go fast all the time, people can't see ya.
I agree on the return to hot rodding, too many people want a bolt on solution but you can usually make something better and usually cheaper with a little sweat equity. But its certainly easy to get over whelmed with work, and even free parts from sponsors are a form of work on their own.
100hp ****, one of my cars dyno'd a whopping 26hp with 7:1 compression It's not all about speed!

Old 05-24-2022, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree on the return to hot rodding, too many people want a bolt on solution but you can usually make something better and usually cheaper with a little sweat equity.

Old 05-24-2022, 01:46 PM
7 Second Club

Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

OEM's have to factor in the majority of people are idiots, does anyone here want to be regulated to OEM power? You state you disagree, but continue on to solidify my point about crap fuel since you state the power loss in your area is due to **** fuel, hence octane/knock limited. As you state higher compression will make more power if the fuel supports it just like I said.
You specifically said that running low compression is just leaving power on the table and is for people who can't tune and I said I would disagree with that. Obviously OEM's setup their engines to run on pump gas and run safely under LOTS of conditions and I gave an example of where I see lower compression actually making more power on pump gas and doing it safer and it has nothing at all to do with the tuner.

Kind of along the line of what you were saying here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...r-boost-3.html
Yes what I said in 2013 is exactly what I just said up top today.
Old 05-24-2022, 02:07 PM
8 Second Club

You specifically said that running low compression is just leaving power on the table and is for people who can't tune and I said I would disagree with that. Obviously OEM's setup their engines to run on pump gas and run safely under LOTS of conditions and I gave an example of where I see lower compression actually making more power on pump gas and doing it safer and it has nothing at all to do with the tuner.
I specifically said can't tune or have crap fuel as shown below, you are using the crap fuel example which agrees with what I said. You would make more power with your stock LT1 if you had better fuel, but you don't so you have to rebuild it for lower compression.

Running low compression is just leaving power on the table, there is no rule of thumb for low compression making more power, that thinking is for people that cant tune or have crap fuel. Higher compression and more boost makes more power every time, that's why actual fast cars run 11:1 or higher compression with 60+PSI from twin 98's.

Old 05-24-2022, 05:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes what I said in 2013 is exactly what I just said up top today.
Is there any situation where lower compression will make more power with E85 and boost? For instance above a certain boost level? Assuming of course sane compression like between 9.0 and 12.0
Old 05-25-2022, 06:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Steve Morris:"Now this is a turbo motor with no turbos.(dyno session so not installed yet) So there is lower compression...

Quick Reply: Turbo selection