Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

I said I wouldn't, so....

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2024, 04:42 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Sounds great, keep us posted.

How are you going to package it all, don't mind having parts above the hood line?
Old 06-28-2024, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 785 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD
I'm intrigued, do you have any pictures of this? Did you chop/lengthen any wiring or how did you route it into the dash area? I've been thinking about doing something similar, just haven't had the time to investigate it. I would probably move the ECM, etc all at the same time too under the dash.
I had to extend the wiring to the headlights. I depinned the transmission harness to run it inside through the firewall. I also dont have the HVAC box so that opens a ton of room under the dash. I have pictures of the engine bay but none of under the dash. I'm going to rewire the whole car during this process, as well. you might be able to route the transmission harness into the car through the shifter opening, instead.

The shortblock may end up changing. I just got an offer on my long block. If it works out, I'm going to be building a 5.3 or 6.0 engine.
Old 06-29-2024, 03:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 372 Likes on 272 Posts

You mentioned running 12 to 1 over 10.5 to 1 compression due to concerns of throttle response but are now going to a 5.3 or 6.0 over the 428.

Help me understand the thinking here...a 428 even at 10.5 to 1 seems like it would make way more torque at low rpm and be more responsive out of boost than a 5.3 or 6.0 ever could with the same power adder. I obviously don't know what I'm talking about so please explain since throttle response was a big concern you mentioned how are you going to get the 5.3 or 6.0 to have the response of the higher compression 428?

Old 06-29-2024, 04:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't say anything about throttle response. That was a response to a different question.

I said I was going to do the 428ci with 12:1 compression because I already have it, know it was built correctly, and there's nothing wrong with the shortblock I have. This is not something I've done before. I always liked the smaller CI stuff because its easier to get them to hook up for the type of racing I mainly do.

So, if I do end up selling my long block, I will default to my preferred engine size, or step up slightly. This will be something I need to discuss with my engine builder. I don't want to car to be down for months, so whichever he can build, without parts delays, will likely cement the decision.

I made the thread, not to discuss the choice in shortblock/engine, but mainly to get more info/opinion on the supercharger stuff. I was already leaning towards going turbo, since I know what it entails. I have ZERO experience with the supercharger stuff. Also, as the beginning of a build thread once I start to accumulate parts.

I've decided to stick with the twin turbo route. Size will depend on if my engine actually does sell or not.

Old 06-29-2024, 06:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Sounds great, keep us posted.

How are you going to package it all, don't mind having parts above the hood line?
Going to keep it all under the hood line as best I can. Will have a, somewhat, full exhaust. A2W setup. Most likely going to put the turbos in front of the motor.
Old 06-29-2024, 06:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 372 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by jayyyw
I didn't say anything about throttle response. That was a response to a different question.

I said I was going to do the 428ci with 12:1 compression because I already have it, know it was built correctly, and there's nothing wrong with the shortblock I have. This is not something I've done before. I always liked the smaller CI stuff because its easier to get them to hook up for the type of racing I mainly do.

So, if I do end up selling my long block, I will default to my preferred engine size, or step up slightly. This will be something I need to discuss with my engine builder. I don't want to car to be down for months, so whichever he can build, without parts delays, will likely cement the decision.

I made the thread, not to discuss the choice in shortblock/engine, but mainly to get more info/opinion on the supercharger stuff. I was already leaning towards going turbo, since I know what it entails. I have ZERO experience with the supercharger stuff. Also, as the beginning of a build thread once I start to accumulate parts.

I've decided to stick with the twin turbo route. Size will depend on if my engine actually does sell or not.
I apologize for offending you. You did mention wanting the higher compression so it would make it more responsive and make more power so I thought it was odd you would consider a much smaller engine over a lower compression 428 if response was a concern.

I understand you already had your mind made up on the turbo before asking the question on what to go with but the entire combo matters more than just supercharger vs turbo so the engine combination was relevant to the discussion.

There is a reason the forums are dying and I try to spur discussion which only seems to offend so I’m about to leave the forums like 99 percent of others have done.

The best part of this hobby is building your own stuff and discussing it with others but it seems everyone asks questions they already have decided the answer too and have other people doing the work for them anyway.

Enjoy your weekend.
The following users liked this post:
emajioo (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 09:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 843 Likes on 645 Posts

Be different and do compound boost.
Old 06-29-2024, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 533 Likes on 395 Posts

There ya go. Why use two turbos when three will do?

jayyyw (07-03-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 524 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by jayyyw
Going to keep it all under the hood line as best I can. Will have a, somewhat, full exhaust. A2W setup. Most likely going to put the turbos in front of the motor.
Just throwing this out there, I'd consider running it without a hood.
I recently pulled the hood off my 4th gen Camaro SS just for s__ts and grins and I think I like it.
I've been running the stock SS hood which seals the engine bay pretty well locking the heat in the engine bay which then radiates through the firewall into the cabin.
The engine runs about 5-10 degrees cooler and inside the car its noticeably cooler, my legs and feet no longer cook if I drive it for a while.
Just a thought.
The following 2 users liked this post by The BallSS:
emajioo (07-01-2024), jayyyw (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
There ya go. Why use two turbos when three will do?
That thing is insane
Old 07-03-2024, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BCNUL8R
I apologize for offending you. You did mention wanting the higher compression so it would make it more responsive and make more power so I thought it was odd you would consider a much smaller engine over a lower compression 428 if response was a concern.

I understand you already had your mind made up on the turbo before asking the question on what to go with but the entire combo matters more than just supercharger vs turbo so the engine combination was relevant to the discussion.

There is a reason the forums are dying and I try to spur discussion which only seems to offend so I’m about to leave the forums like 99 percent of others have done.

The best part of this hobby is building your own stuff and discussing it with others but it seems everyone asks questions they already have decided the answer too and have other people doing the work for them anyway.

Enjoy your weekend.
I'm not offended. You keep saying I said something that I didn't. I said, "the compression will make more power on less boost and be more responsive over-all". I didn't say that was the reason I was doing it.

Even if I was already leaning one way, doesn't mean I didn't want to have the discussion still. That is why I made the post. There are factors I may not have been considering.

P.s. I do my own work, besides building the shortblock internals. Don't have to worry about that, here.
Old 07-03-2024, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The ******
Just throwing this out there, I'd consider running it without a hood.
I recently pulled the hood off my 4th gen Camaro SS just for s__ts and grins and I think I like it.
I've been running the stock SS hood which seals the engine bay pretty well locking the heat in the engine bay which then radiates through the firewall into the cabin.
The engine runs about 5-10 degrees cooler and inside the car its noticeably cooler, my legs and feet no longer cook if I drive it for a while.
Just a thought.
Yeah, it does help with heat, but it hurts aero after 100+mph. How much, depends on the car. I will likely have it hoodless for a bit tho, until I can find a nice vented hood or another stock hood and install vents in it.
Old 07-04-2024, 08:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 176 Likes on 97 Posts

If you decide to go single turbo, I may have a brand new in the box GT55-94/104 I’ll give you for a good discount…
jayyyw (07-04-2024)

Quick Reply: I said I wouldn't, so....