Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Crankase venting vs PCV "valve" vs BOOST

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 07:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 186 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Crankase venting vs PCV "valve" vs BOOST

5.3 LS, TSP208/214 .551" lift, stock compression.
VSR78/75 .96AR

Passenger side Rocker vent hose with TEE fitting, 3/8" chinese "breather/filter"
Is it possible that under BOOST conditions, ( 175kPa) the maniofld pressure pushes BACK through PCV in driver's side rocker cover, overpressure crankcase ?

After a good romp, with 4 or 5 seconds in BOOST, close throttle and I get a YUGE oil smoke cloud out the exhaust: Oil cloud like a worn out 62 Dodge Dart.
Think I need more venting, maybe a TEE fitting, check valve and another breather on the drivers side PCV hose ?
Tee before or AFTER Pcv valve ?

Turbo is near cherry new, install only 3 weeks ago, 100 miles on road, dozen heat cycles, probably have a grand total of 200 seconds in actual BOOST.

1/2 inch Turbo drain hose, angled steeply DOWN all the way to 1/2" npt front of oilpan. Test with tranny fluid funnel shows I can POUR diesel+ATF mixture through the drain hose, will pass 2 gallons in 30 seconds easily.

Looking for recommendations.
Possible that my compressor seals are bad out of box ?

Last edited by Full Power; 07-03-2024 at 07:43 PM. Reason: space
Old 07-05-2024, 08:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts

I had the exact same problem, I ran a line from the DS PCV to an oil separator (cheap one) to a check valve, then to manifold, cured problem. Boost is prob. creating pressure in the crankcase, creating problems. I just plugged the PS VC tubes, used a filtered oil cap. I always use an oil sep. if using a PCV valve, you would be surprised how much oil it sucks in the engine.
Old 07-08-2024, 09:22 AM
Launching!

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

I recently wrote an article on exactly this for HOT ROD magazine.

<READ IT HERE>
The following users liked this post:
Full Power (07-08-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 02:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 186 Likes on 136 Posts

Thank you Greg.
I need to fabricate a big catch can for drivers (PCV ) side.
Probably try to fit some hose barbs to a quart size STIHL gasoline can, use the metal screw cap at bottm for a drain.
Maybe I can solder some little copper tube stubs to the steel can.
My ( 2003 ) 5.3 liter has a genuine, old style spring loaded PCV valve. I was surprised by that, Had thought they'd all gone fixed orifice long ago.
Seems like the spring loaded unit would ALSO function as a check valve, effectively blocking manifold pressure from flowing INTO the rocker cover.
Could maybe try to fit a grommet into catch can, mount the PCV valve direct push-in to catch can, then second fat (1/2") hose from can to rocker cover, small breather/filter on top of can.

Quick Reply: Crankase venting vs PCV "valve" vs BOOST