Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Difference between Bypass valve and BOV

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between Bypass valve and BOV

I'm looking to know the difference between these for a turbo car. I recently received a Hks race bypass valve and was wondering what the difference that and the hks BOV was. Which is better for a turbo car and why?

http://www.hksusa.com/categories/?id=1952
Old 08-04-2004, 04:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A bypass valve is used in supercharged applications. It is open under part throttle conditions and throttle lift-off and closed at WOT. Since a supercharger is always spinning "x" amount of speed vs engine speed no matter the load conditions, the extra air needs to be bypassed or you will have continuous compressor surge and heating of the intake air at part throttle.

A blowoff valve is used in turbo applications. It only opens at throttle lift off (after boost has been produced). It is closed at part throttle cruising and WOT. A turbo system does not generate boost at part throttle cruising therefore an open bypass valve could possibly ingest ambient (unfiltered) air under cruise conditions.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by INTMD8
A bypass valve is used in supercharged applications. It is open under part throttle conditions and throttle lift-off and closed at WOT. Since a supercharger is always spinning "x" amount of speed vs engine speed no matter the load conditions, the extra air needs to be bypassed or you will have continuous compressor surge and heating of the intake air at part throttle.

A blowoff valve is used in turbo applications. It only opens at throttle lift off (after boost has been produced). It is closed at part throttle cruising and WOT. A turbo system does not generate boost at part throttle cruising therefore an open bypass valve could possibly ingest ambient (unfiltered) air under cruise conditions.
So do I need to return the part that I sent a link to above?
Old 08-04-2004, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

yes it would be best, you dont want to loose any sort of boost. But that things looks just like the old super sequentioal that came with the TTi kits.

I would looks towards tial ones, they seem to have the most options
ed
Old 08-04-2004, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be able to use that bypass valve for BOV no problem. Just put a little filter in it, so you don't suck any dirt it the motor at part throttle. You won't loose any boost, because it closes when there's no vacuum. I am using a little cheaply Bosch bypass valve off of a SAAB for a BOV on my homemade turboed s-10. Works great!!
Old 08-04-2004, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

u r fine with that hks race bypass valve...

sometimes people use bypass valve and bov interchangeable without knowing.

my friend has that on his supra

if you look here...it is labeled as a BOV

http://www.hksusa.com/images/?id=1271

Quick Reply: Difference between Bypass valve and BOV