Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

very, very nice turbo setup on camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 10:01 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL appearently Z98 has never compared the graph of a turbo car and an N/A car that exibit the same PEAK power. LOL

Go build your cam-bolt-on LS1 5.7L! And I'll gladly compare it to my poor lil 5.3L TRUCK motors curve :p

I'll even make it fair. I'll redyno at 5psi after the intercooler install. LOL
Old 09-01-2004, 12:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by z98
Because most of the STS owners are embarassed that they spent $3500 dolllars and barely break 400 RWHP?
Umm everyone pretty much is getting ATLEAST 415rwhp at 5psi after spending about $3550...thats pretty damn good. I am not embarressed at all best money i have ever spent for a mod on my car. Plus its alot of fun driving around..its a beast. also scares the living hell out of the ricers LOL. Its amazing that whenever somthing new comes out ppl always have to bash it even when time and time again it is proven to work...i truley suggest you get somemore info on the kit before you start making comments like you are doing. If you have any question or want to talk about the kit and how it works send me a PM and i will give you my cell phone # if you wanted to talk.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:43 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Who gives a crap what anyone else thinks, I'm happy with mine. Better fuel mpg and lots of HP and TQ.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:19 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

I'm not emabarassed at all that the money I spent got me a little over 400rwhp, perfect stock driveability, good mileage, quiet, and easy to install.
You could get a set of stage 2 heads and a mild cam, put out more power than that, and spent half as much money. A little messier install, granted, but well worth it from what I've seen.

z98 ....
Your lack of knowledge of F/I is overwhelmingly shown in this thread.
Like where?

I am not trying to flame you, but you have given no technical merit to this thread.
Wasn't trying to. When I do, you probably won't respond

I was just pointing out the obvious that apparantly many other people have said elsewhere.

When you do get your H/C or F/I and have a positive opinion or idea to input on this, we will be all ears. But, as you say, "I won't hold my breath".
So all opinions have to be positive? Man, if all we did was suck each other's dicks here we'd all have "500+ horsepower" with SLP MAF's and LT's with hotcams and loudmouth exhaust.

And just because I haven't modded my Z28 too much yet, doesn't mean this is my first car. Sometimes you should read, and find out who you're ******* with before you jump head first into the fire.

Just a tip.

Also, suggesting that buying a h/c setup is a positive opinion, just maybe not to you. I bet all the sponsors who sell heads think it was positive, and I bet all the people putting down more than 410 rwhp with a mild head setup think it was positive too.

Think, pause, type. It might make you look a little smarter.

LOL appearently Z98 has never compared the graph of a turbo car and an N/A car that exibit the same PEAK power. LOL
LOL Yeah, you're right! I've never seen one. LOL Can you show me? LOL. Christ man get a clue and stay out of the AOL chatrooms, they are destroying your brain.

How much money will you have in your turbo setup? How much money will I have in a cam/bolt-on setup, or even H/C setup?

Exactly. If all I wanted to do was throw money away and be fast I sure wouldn't be starting with an STS kit, from the results I've seen.

Umm everyone pretty much is getting ATLEAST 415rwhp at 5psi after spending about $3550...thats pretty damn good.
Compared to what? Civic owners HP/$$$? In the LS1 world, or even in the SBC world, that isn't ****.

Go build your cam-bolt-on LS1 5.7L! And I'll gladly compare it to my poor lil 5.3L TRUCK motors curve :p
Ooh, you put truck in bold. That must mean the fact that your motor is TOTALLY DIFFFERENT is important. Oh wait, its just about the same damn engine.

So how about you compare it to my bolt on/nitrous curve?

Oh that shut you up. GG

Umm everyone pretty much is getting ATLEAST 415rwhp at 5psi after spending about $3550...thats pretty damn good.
Compared to what? A h/c setup? A nitrous setup? A cheap supercharger setup? What exactly are you comparing this against that this kit looks like a great idea for the money?

I am not embarressed at all best money i have ever spent for a mod on my car. Plus its alot of fun driving around..its a beast. also scares the living hell out of the ricers LOL. Its amazing that whenever somthing new comes out ppl always have to bash it even when time and time again it is proven to work...
So far, the only thing its proven to be is more money than its worth.

i truley suggest you get somemore info on the kit before you start making comments like you are doing.
I was trying. I asked specificly about your car and what mods you had, since you're putting about 40+ more hp down than most people with the kit.

But this is the typical response you get when you criticize someone (even mildly) about their setup when they know in their hearts they spent too much money for the results they are getting.

Oh well.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:35 PM
14 Second Truck Club

If a-holes could fly this thread would be an airport.j/k
Old 09-01-2004, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This thread was about an STS turbo... not heads... not cams... FORCED INDUCTION IDIOT...

You have not validated anything yet. Show me your math where JUST a Stage 2 Heads and a 224 cam makes 415 HP.
Your all over the damn place with your posts... first you say you can get better than 400 with JUST a H/C setup... Then you compair this kit to Rob's setup... which his setup costs WAY more than this... And last... this was just showing what 5psi can do... we haven't even begun to start on the pressure.

By the way... I guess you can't read, so read this slowly... and maybe it might stick , MAYBE.

People are making 415~430hp at 5psi on a STOCK engine, STOCK exhaust, and Pump gas.. just the STS kit and a tune, takes half the time to install, less tools, and comes with EVERY PART you need to complete it, gets better gas milage than stock... AND!!!! will be 50 states legal...

Stage 2 heads... $2000
224/224 Cam... $450
New gaskets/bolts.. $200
Appx output... maybe 400hp

z98 getting ... priceless.

Go back to the Racers Lounge with Bullitt where you belong and stop hijacking this guys thread...
Old 09-01-2004, 01:14 PM
14 Second Truck Club

What he said.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The HP and TQ output at 5psi is on par with the other types of Forced Induction at 5psi WHEN you consider no other bolt on's or power adders. But, of course no one stops there, when you compare the STS to the other F/I systems out there, it is a descent kit at a reasonable price.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:51 PM
12 Second Truck Club

What a tool......

Apearently you don't know jack about the LSx truck world. a bolt-on cammed truck 5.3L with tunning almost never gets any higher than 320rwhp. Compare that to a bolt-on cammed 5.7L at 400rwhp.

But whatever, I'm not going to waste my "breath" arguing with you. Every mod has it's place. I'll just agree to disagree with you since I've been the heads/cam/nitrous route and didn't like it.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:13 PM
Banned

Geez....Ive done countless heads/cam cars...it takes more than just those parts to make that kinda power...

Z98 doesnt have a clue, dont sweat it f8l
Old 09-01-2004, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

do you really think a turbo setup would not have a wider powerband than a N/A setup of the same peak output? how about the STS guys fork over the extra $400 for the methanol injection, up the boost to 8psi and see what it takes for you to get up to the 500 or so rwhp they would be at. all the while being near peak torque from ~3,000rpm and up. go ahead, try it.
FI is more expensive to start up, but once you begin upping the boost it gets tougher and tougher for N/A cars to keep up and still retain the STOCK drivability of the FI car... or the FI car could go with a more radical, and less streetable, setup and completely annhilate the NA car.
and if you want to try it on race gas, dont bet money cuz it wont be in your pocket for long.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 777
on the 25 car lengths to 120...there is no way...i would say you have maybe a high 10 sec car with a 427 superstroker..and that cammed car maybe mid 11's...that is not 25 cars
427's can run 10.5 on radials... watched it last night in this heat

10.5 then 10.2 but we'll say 10.5 vs 11.8 (average cammed car)

each .1 is about a car length.

thats 1.3 so 13 car lengths which is TONS and TONS.. now the fact they went from a roll so its power vs power ..... i say its believeable
Old 09-01-2004, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

and to the ppl fighting about HP numbers....

"you cant run a dyno down the track"
Old 09-01-2004, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

50 states legel?

your changing your exhaust which is not legel.... unless it is approved.... is it?
Old 09-01-2004, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ramairstyle00

No... but it is a good indication of how strong your motor is.
And we were not arguing about track times. We ARE talking about dyno numbers. So I do not see your point.

50 states legel?

your changing your exhaust which is not legel.... unless it is approved.... is it?
You are allowed to change your exhaust... from the CATS back. Save that you are not too loud.
STS is going through the CARB (California Air Review Board) test. The hardest emmissions test to pass, and it looks like it will have no problem.

Their is no aftermarket turbo kit (that I am aware of) that is 50 states legal if you move or replace the stock CATS.

Last edited by Wildman; 09-01-2004 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:06 PM
12 Second Club

Couldn't have said it better myself. A few months back there was a ls1 z28 with the STS turbo at the local 1/8 mile track. I lined up against this car
and beat the crap out of it and I was expecting to get my *** handed to me.

I looked at this STS system a while back and read about the 5psi kit, and their optional 8 or 9psi kit with water/alky injection to compensate for the lack of an intercooler. I honestly thought the car would perform a lot better than it did based on the horsepower numbers put out by STS.

If my memory serves correct, the car with the STS turbo system was trapping in the 87-88mph range in the 1/8 mile. I believe the car was on street tires and that would account for the low E/T, but the mph is still sorry for a system supposedly putting out 400+rwhp. There are two possibilities that i can see for the low mph.

A. The car isn't close to 415rwhp even at full weight.
B. A poor driver.

Perhaps a little from column A and a little from column B.

The rear mount turbo is an interesting concept and I commend STS for trying something new. Everyone knows how cramped the F-body engine compartment is. IMHO $3500 is better well spent on heads/cam and bolt ons for 415+rwhp.

Old 09-01-2004, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Apples and Oranges again...
How can you compare a H/C package to a F/I package?
You CAN take your $3500 and build up a N/A car... but even in your case bad2000ss, your car has just been made ILLEGAL. Not to mention, to get to 435HP+ your car becomes less streetable and more dragable (is that a word?).

There could be thousands of reasons why you beat him. He was untuned, he wasn't at full running pressure (exhaust leakage), and as you said, bad driver.
untuned, 4.5-5psi... on 18inch nitto 555 no not the drag radial
2.336 60ft
1/8 8.572 @ 91.54
1/4 12.816@ 117.77MPH
Now imagine what tuned at 5psi and maybe a better driver would have done.

If you are going to compare the kit to alternatives... you have to compare EVERYTHING. Compare PRICE against other F/I kits out there. Compare streetability & legality vs HP on non-F/I choices...
Old 09-01-2004, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok.... here is a scenario... to show you where this kit fits in... and then some of you will understand... I think..

1)Street legal
2)Pass emissions
3)Make 400+ hp (with a few $ more 500+)
4)Streetable, decent street and highway manors
5)Doesn't require tearing down the engine
6)Takes very little talent and time to install
7)Upgradeable (just think what you would have to do to upgrade a 224 cam to something bigger).
8)Doesn't cost $5000 or more like other kits...
9)Minimal tool set required
10)Runs on pump gas

Everyone has the right to their opinion... and I apologize if I am on my about this. There has been sooooo many people disputing the setup... but have not backed it up yet with any facts about it. Well dispute my 10 advantages with 10 disadvantages of it, and I will listen. Not just say... "THAT KIT SUCKS". Show me your HP package that fit my list above.

/rant off

Last edited by Wildman; 09-01-2004 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wildman
Ok.... here is a scenario... to show you where this kit fits in... and then some of you will understand... I think..

1)Street legal
2)Pass emissions
3)Make 400+ hp (with a few $ more 500+)
4)Streetable, decent street and highway manors
5)Doesn't require tearing down the engine
6)Takes very little talent and time to install
7)Upgradeable (just think what you would have to do to upgrade a 224 cam to something bigger).
8)Doesn't cost $5000 or more like other kits...
9)Minimal tool set required
10)Runs on pump gas

Everyone has the right to their opinion... and I apologize if I am on my about this. There has been sooooo many people disputing the setup... but have not backed it up yet with any facts about it. Well dispute my 10 advantages with 10 disadvantages of it, and I will listen. Not just say... "THAT KIT SUCKS". Show me your HP package that fit my list above.

/rant off
This is it... not wasting my breath on this anymore... Ignorance is bliss.
You bring up very good points. There are many pros to going with a turbo kit like the STS, but there are many questions I have.

First of all most forced induction applications are tuned so that the motor will run rich. Are you sure it would pass a California sniffer test? Of course if you know the right smog man and have $200-$400, you really don't have to worry. But that would compromise (#2) on your list.

Another problem I see with the kit is how low it hangs. Perhaps the one I looked at was improperly installed, but I wouldn't be able to get into my driveway or any other steep driveway for that matter.

5psi is about where the kit would top out without needing any fuel system upgrades or special tuning. I believe the upgraded kit must use water/alcohol injection to prevent detonation. This kit really has no room to grow without spending another $1500-$2000. 415rwhp is about as much horsepower that you can get out of this kit, without having to make "streetability" compromises. (#4) You can't stay street legal (#1) if you try for more horsepower (#3 #7). Now it will cost over $5000 by the time you get done with fuel injectors, fuel pump, water/alky, boost controller, and custom tuning. (#8)

I see you are from California, and as you know we have by far the most strict smog laws and worst gasoline in the country. I don't think summer time 91 octain gasoline is going to cut it (#10). Tuning would most likely be required to run the car on pump gas safely. I believe it has been said this kit does NOT have a CARB approval yet (#1).

Sure anyone with zero talent could install it and it doesn't require tearing down the motor, but do you really think ANY idiot should work on their own car? If you can't bolt up a water pump, why should you be able to bolt up a turbo?

I don't mean to play devil's advocate, but this isn't as easy as everyone makes it out to be. The standard kit really doesn't make a whole lot more horsepower than many cam only cars out there. If you really like to be different, you don't want to work on your motor, and you really like turbos than the STS kit is probably for you.

Old 09-01-2004, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is very rare that I scrape on anything and I have a pre-production kit that is lower.
1/4 an 1/8 mile times are not the only indication that a car is fast or slow. I have raced a heads and cam +++ car that would kill me off the line, but I can pull away from him from a roll. And I am not talking a mild cam, it was a M2, Patriot heads, LT's, ORY, 3500 stall. That is a car that is no where near as driveable as mine, gets bad mileage, and loud as hell. Dont get me wrong, it sounds bad ***, its just not what I want.
There is alot more left than only running 5psi. Throw injectors in and meth and run 8psi and you are at 500. Click on the link and there is a car with a 408 Agostino and it will show great numbers in a few days when its tuned and dynod.
Last, there are some who want something different. Bolt on the kit, get a tune and you have it.

Quick Reply: very, very nice turbo setup on camaro