Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Incon Turbo Hose? Tom Porter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 01:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Incon Turbo Hose? Tom Porter?

Hey all, I may need to replace at least 1 of the turbo hoses that runs from the turbo outlet to the intake. There is a # stamped on it, but nothing else. I've tried to source out stuff local, but all of the truck supply places locally don't stock the 2 3/4 inner diameter.

Does anybody know where Incon got their hose from? Anybody know how to get in touch with Tom Porter??

- Dug
Old 08-12-2004, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it just a straight piece of 2-3/4 inch silicone or does it have a certain shape? If it is a specific shape you might want to get ahold of samco and see if they can mold you a new one. It'll be expensive.
HTS sells the 2-3/4 sticks
http://www.hightempsilicone.com/Cate...=4&selection=7
He also might be able to make what you need too
J
Old 08-12-2004, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I found a place locally top get pieces of silicone. I was worried about it collapsing, so I clamped in a piece of pvc every six inches or so to keep it stiff. There is a size of PVC (don't know it off the top of my head) that you can get that is a perfect fit inside a 2 3/4" hose. You can get straight adapters, 45's, and 90's and put together whatever you want. Looks like crap but it works. Don't ask me how I know...

-Geoff
Old 08-12-2004, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

lingenfelter can make you parts for that kit as they still make the system.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by White_Hawk
I found a place locally top get pieces of silicone. I was worried about it collapsing, so I clamped in a piece of pvc every six inches or so to keep it stiff. There is a size of PVC (don't know it off the top of my head) that you can get that is a perfect fit inside a 2 3/4" hose. You can get straight adapters, 45's, and 90's and put together whatever you want. Looks like crap but it works. Don't ask me how I know...

-Geoff
You could pull all the PVC out of the hose. Incon made the standard outlet hoses so thin and flimsy because the pressure from the turbo will keep them "inflated". Similarly the inlet hoses are very think except were they get slightly "crushed" do to clearance issues because there is a slight vacuum on them.

Lingenfelter gets there silicon hoses from samco (or at least some). These hoses are much better than our crappy "wrapped" outer casing hoses.

I would just make my own, the Incon supplied ones (especially driver side) don't fit worth anything.

I must have slightly different hose than guys (or you are measuring outside diameters). My turbo inlet hose is 2 3/4 I.D and my outlet hoses is 2 1/4" I.D.

Gary
Old 08-12-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually the crushed hoses on Dug's car are the air filter to turbo inlet set. These are the 2.75" inside diameter and approx. 4 feet long hoses that are wedged in between the engine and the motor mounts. Since they are inlet hoses, they arent pressurized, but can collapse.

The big problem is ... I can find heavy duty truck radiator hoses that are the correct inside diameter, [but] the problem is; They are only sold in 3 foot lengths.

Buying the blue silicone hoses as a replacement just costs too much. That's why Incon never used these to begin with. The stock Incon hoses are just straight sections of heavy duty rubber radiator hose with an imbedded wire to they wont collapse .... But again, I can only get this hose in a max length of 3 feet. (too short)

IMO, the easiest and best thing I could do on this car is to re-mount the air filters very close to the turbo (thus elliminating the long 4 foot length of hoses that get crushed between the motor mounts and the engine) .... The only problem with that would be the filters being so close to the road surface and getting wet and dirty too often.

Last edited by Tin Indian; 08-12-2004 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:24 PM
Adkoonerstrator

What about getting two 3ft. pieces and just cutting and splicing?
Old 08-12-2004, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
What about getting two 3ft. pieces and just cutting and splicing?
I have thought about that too. To be honest ... What really bothers me the most is how those hoses are crushed so bad between the engine and motor mounts. There just HAS to be a better way to go about this.

This is sad! .... I just don't want to put this back in the car, and I don't want the new hose to do the same thing.

Old 08-12-2004, 06:36 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Would a tubular K member give more room for the hoses? Honestly, I have never seen a Incon setup so I have no clue.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I included a picture in my above post ... You can see why Dug and myself are not happy with this problem ... This is just unacceptable as far as I am concerned.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:40 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Hmmmm.....Yes I can see why you would want to figure something better out. Good luck with it.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks a lot guys . . . that hose is certainly a mess isn't it?? Sorry about the confusion, I got the inlet/outlet mixed up. BUT as someone else said, how restrictive can it be?? I dynoed 621/684 with that setup . . . Ron really thinks it needs to be replaced with something else, I'm still considering putting it back on the car. If we can't route it any other way there's no point in getting another hose to crush.

- Dug
Old 08-12-2004, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unless you are changing the routing or going to make a custom plastic injected molded connection you are going to have to squash the hose a tiny little bit. Its not costing you any horsepower unless the inside silicon liner is damaged (these lines are not radiator hose). On the molded connection I am reffering to you could mold a connection that you would put between the engine and power steering line and the k-member and A/C. Since I live 40 minutes from the largest plastic molding city in the northern hemisphere it is easily do able. A k-member will help a lot plus it looks like the hose was installed incorrectly originally.

Gary
Old 08-12-2004, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how restrictive can it be?? I dynoed 621/684 with that setup

They must be breathing pretty good i.m.o. Mines sort of crushed and wedged through....and ugly…Did 575 on 8#.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:38 PM
Teching In

When we make truck radiator hoses, we make them in 12ft lengths. This is the same hose and the intercooler and intake hoses we make. The difference is that we just cut them down. The reason why everybody has only 3ft sticks is because they are difficult to ship and inventory in such long lenghts.

I do have one question about that picture though. Was that originally a straight hose?!?!

Jim
Old 08-12-2004, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hightempsilicone
When we make truck radiator hoses, we make them in 12ft lengths. This is the same hose and the intercooler and intake hoses we make. The difference is that we just cut them down. The reason why everybody has only 3ft sticks is because they are difficult to ship and inventory in such long lenghts.

I do have one question about that picture though. Was that originally a straight hose?!?!

Jim
The hose was not originally straight. It has a ton of bends and wire reforcements it most places except were it must get squashed or must be more flexible for a bend.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:48 PM
Teching In

Dug,
Sorry for the delayed response as we had a slight weather malfunction come thru Orlando this weekend and I just got power back at work.
If the hose isn't torn thru don't replace it. Unlike what you are being told the hose is full silicone and provides a smooth flowing internal surface as well as a tremendous lifespan vs. a rubber counterpart. It just doesn't have the "fancy" shiny silicone outer layer which costs more (to be installed under the car). The throttle body connectors and "***" pipe connectors are the same silicone material but were done in the "shiny" finish since they are visible. I don't have any incon hoses to take a close look at but to the best of my knowledge this specific hose transitions from round to more of an oval shape in the tight sections which does not decrease the volume of air that can be injested by the turbo. If you need any help give me a call at work. 407-447-5363

Tom Porter
Old 08-17-2004, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TurboSS
Dug,
Sorry for the delayed response as we had a slight weather malfunction come thru Orlando this weekend and I just got power back at work.
If the hose isn't torn thru don't replace it. Unlike what you are being told the hose is full silicone and provides a smooth flowing internal surface as well as a tremendous lifespan vs. a rubber counterpart. It just doesn't have the "fancy" shiny silicone outer layer which costs more (to be installed under the car). The throttle body connectors and "***" pipe connectors are the same silicone material but were done in the "shiny" finish since they are visible. I don't have any incon hoses to take a close look at but to the best of my knowledge this specific hose transitions from round to more of an oval shape in the tight sections which does not decrease the volume of air that can be injested by the turbo. If you need any help give me a call at work. 407-447-5363

Tom Porter

Hey Tom, Thanks for getting me all the parts you could several years ago. Have had the car running for a quite a while.

Gary
Old 08-18-2004, 04:25 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Who does Tom work for now?
Old 08-18-2004, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forge Motorsport Inc.

as a simple google search results

Ryan

Quick Reply: Incon Turbo Hose? Tom Porter?