Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Still Over Boosting....help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Location: its as intense as the time i forgot how to sit down
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well it looks like cannibal has it covered since every suggestion is shot down by him and he thinks where retards,like as in my suggestion and mighty mouses joke,so let us know what happens,oh and by the way i know what the differance is between drop and overboosting ive been doing it for quite some time now
Old 08-15-2004, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Transdamit
well it looks like cannibal has it covered since every suggestion is shot down by him and he thinks where retards,like as in my suggestion and mighty mouses joke,so let us know what happens,oh and by the way i know what the differance is between drop and overboosting ive been doing it for quite some time now
Huh??

Anyway...taking the Top of the WG off won't help a "stuck problem" at all. The valve is on the other side! As is the valve seat that it's stuck to.

Like I said before, you can usually free it just by hitting on the WG with a dead-blow hammer and the car running. You just don't want to get carried away hitting on it.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you talking about?

The info you provided had nothing to do with what KAOS is asking about.

It's OVERBOOSTING. This means when you give it the gas, the boost will CLIMB and CLIMB and never come down as long as you keep increasing the RPMs.

Boost spike, boost creep and boost drop are totally different issues and are NOT what KAOS is experiencing.

You are experiencing boost drop as you said earlier. That's not what's going on here.

This is what you said:

i have a severe boost drop problem and am still working on it,
KAOS can build boost to the moon thus your info doesn't apply.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

well if there is a vac line on wrong it will build too much boost,and i remeber him saying that he did somthing with the vac lines if im correct
Old 08-15-2004, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

ok here is the deal. had my car at qmp last week and runnin great 531rwhp on pump gas, and a stock motor. any ways got it home and changed all the vac lines b/c one ripped in to and now i cant get the boost to hold at 9psi. it just keeps climbing. i have tried everything i can think of[/QUOTE]
Old 08-15-2004, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

well if there is a vac line on wrong it will build too much boost,and i remeber him saying that he did somthing with the vac lines if im correct
Nothing else has been changed since it was at Rob's since the tune. All the vaccum lines are in the same orientation, and have even been replaced with higher quality lines with zip ties at the barbed fittings to less the possibility of any leaks or hoses coming off.

It's not the vacuum tubing.

The setup, since it's been overboosting, has been configured with and without the MBC (ball/spring type which worked fine at Robs) with the same result, overboost. It's not the MBC since the same overboost effect is achieved when it's not installed.

I wasn't discounting MMs advice/questions, either. I answered them all very concisely.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

No point in arguing. This is simple: Wastegate is STUCK. Unstick and we can all move on.

If that's not it, I will be surprised. But then at least we won't have to specualte anymore about it.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

well sorry then i was just trying to help but i guess i know nothing so i will just stay out
TECH Senior Member

ok here is the deal. had my car at qmp last week and runnin great 531rwhp on pump gas, and a stock motor. any ways got it home and changed all the vac lines b/c one ripped in to and now i cant get the boost to hold at 9psi. it just keeps climbing. i have tried everything i can think of
He replaced them with better lines in the same configuration. As stated in the prior post by me.

He changed the lines only AFTER he saw he was getting overboost as he thought maybe the lines split or had come loose so he took the opportunity to upgrade the lines at the same time. Only this didn't alleviate the issue.
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rob Raymer
No point in arguing. This is simple: Wastegate is STUCK. Unstick and we can all move on.

If that's not it, I will be surprised. But then at least we won't have to specualte anymore about it.
That's what I have been saying all along
Old 08-15-2004, 05:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

well sorry then i was just trying to help but i guess i know nothing so i will just stay out
I appreciate you trying to help but your advice didn't even pertain the to problem. He's experiencing overboost, not boost drop, creep or spike.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ok im back. i have had the WG completely off of the car and in pieces. i have lightly sanded all of the rust of the manifold and WG and lubed it up with dura-lube. put it back on the car, one piece at a time, and still having the problem. i will check the plugs and see how they look. i remember what the car dynod with just 5psi and may explain the non tire spinning issue. not sure. and as for all the arguing i take every bodys suggestions into consideration. in know that a lot more people know a whole lot more about turbo ls1s than I, so keep them coming. only reason i hesitate to take the wg back off is b/c each individual piece workd great just not sure how they work as a whole
Old 08-16-2004, 07:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

did you actuate it manually with a pump?
Old 08-16-2004, 07:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

MM, that trap speed of yours is nuts!
Old 08-16-2004, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
did you actuate it manually with a pump?
how do you do it, i know it involves hooking a compressor to it but that is all i know
Old 08-16-2004, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok, all spark plugs are good. they are there i mean. any ways any other reason that the power isnt there. doesnt feel like its shoving 9,10, 11.... psi down the car. i dunno what to do. i hate to take the waste gate off again and that not be the problem. all individual parts of the waste gate worked when apart, shouldnt they work as a whole unit?
Old 08-16-2004, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

well you would have to take it back off to watch the valve move.. put a basketball pump into a piece of vaccum line going to the side port.. hold it to make the seal and pump it up.. you should see the valve start to move around where the w/g spring pressure is.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default now creeping

ok here is the new situation. i tapped on the WG and it started to hold ok. now the prob is boost creep. its creeping into the upper psi levels. also car still will not turn over 28in tall nittos from a small kick. what does this mean. all plugs are good and while i was driving it my chech engine light came on, no auto tap mind you. no ticks no smoke no nothing. it does sound like it may have a small miss every few seconds. nothing that noticable but it was doing this before rob got a hold of it. not sure what to do here. also had a few backfires while shifting down to get stopped? that only happened once though. any ideas

Quick Reply: Still Over Boosting....help!!!!