Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SC Belt Wear, normal vs. abnormal + pics, Cogged Serpentine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SC Belt Wear, normal vs. abnormal + pics, Cogged Serpentine?

Anyone want to describe normal SC belt wear?
Please feel free to post any pics.

How much belt dust is normal?
Anyone using a cogged serpentine style belt like a Gatorback or a Dayco Polycog? The Dayco Polycog seem to be a bit stronger of a design. The Gatorback seems softer and more prone to stretching.

Am running a Dayco Polycog right now.
Am seeing some rib lines making impressons, coming thru to the back flat side of the belt. Is that ever normal? No fraying on either outside belt edge, just 6 rib impressions coming thru to the back.

Am using a custom steel PS pulley and am not sure if that material is bit rougher on my belts than the stock plastic PS pulley was.

Thx!
Old 08-17-2004, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not normal is a lot of dust after one pull........dust everywhere, covering everything....

Now that I have a pulley setup that works I see what normal wear looks like, its a light coating of dust after 300-400 miles.......when my belts used to slip the whole supercharger was black

How much tension are you running? and is there a lot of belt dust around?
Old 08-18-2004, 06:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see no dust or belt wear at all with my Vortech. I replaced the belt about 1300 miles ago (when I did the alternator bracket) and everything has been perfect since then. Even when my pulley alignment was off a little bit I did not get any belt dust.

Originally Posted by MelloYellow
Anyone want to describe normal SC belt wear?
Please feel free to post any pics.

How much belt dust is normal?
Anyone using a cogged serpentine style belt like a Gatorback or a Dayco Polycog? The Dayco Polycog seem to be a bit stronger of a design. The Gatorback seems softer and more prone to stretching.

Am running a Dayco Polycog right now.
Am seeing some rib lines making impressons, coming thru to the back flat side of the belt. Is that ever normal? No fraying on either outside belt edge, just 6 rib impressions coming thru to the back.

Am using a custom steel PS pulley and am not sure if that material is bit rougher on my belts than the stock plastic PS pulley was.

Thx!