Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Oil Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turbo Oil Question

Now, if this isn't an option or doesn't work, don't laugh at the fat kid.

I was just brain storming today because I have that kind of time....but in seriousness....I know some of you tap your engine block to get oil pressure and oil to the turbo. What if ...umm....there was an 'adaptor plate' to put your pressure line in the are of the oil sending unit. Like this

1. Unscrew oil sending unit.
2. Screw on adaptor plate
3. Screw the oil sending unit into plate
4. Screw oil line for turbo(s) onto the plate.

If its a stupid idea..don't kill the fat kid for trying to think outside the box.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what are you saying?
Old 08-20-2004, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

basically, instead of tapping the block, is there another solution by using the oil sending units spot. Having a 'plate' or 'adaptor' there that could take care of the oil sending unit and an oil line to your turbo, so you don't have to drill and tap the block on your car.

Its just a thought
Old 08-20-2004, 08:35 AM
9 Second Club

you can use a NPT TEE fitting on the oil pressure sending unit port if you can access it easily, thats how Ive done all my kits previous to the LS1, the sending unit is just in such a shitty spot that its hard to work back there to correctly install the fittings. BTW you don't have to drill/tap the block, just a little block off plate that you can remove from the car, its located above the oil filter, its much easier then trying to mess around behind the intake manifold.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tiago
you can use a NPT TEE fitting on the oil pressure sending unit port if you can access it easily, thats how Ive done all my kits previous to the LS1, the sending unit is just in such a shitty spot that its hard to work back there to correctly install the fittings. BTW you don't have to drill/tap the block, just a little block off plate that you can remove from the car, its located above the oil filter, its much easier then trying to mess around behind the intake manifold.
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. Whenever I looked at pics, it, to me anyways, looked like they tapped the block.

Is that block off plate on all the LS1 engines in Fbodies or is it an added item?

Thanks for the help
Old 08-24-2004, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DarkblueTA
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. Whenever I looked at pics, it, to me anyways, looked like they tapped the block.

Is that block off plate on all the LS1 engines in Fbodies or is it an added item?

Thanks for the help
The oil pan I had off a camero had a block off plate that I drilled an taped. The 98 corvette pan had what looked like an oil temp sensor already installed in the block off plate. I bought both pans second hand so it could have be done by the previous owner. The threads looked to be metric so I said screw it an just taped the plate off the camero pan. Beside I already bough the -4 to 1/4 ntp fitting and didn't feel like trying to find a metric one.

mark

Quick Reply: Turbo Oil Question