Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FAST, GEN 7, or BIGSTUFF3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FAST, GEN 7, or BIGSTUFF3?

Its a 408 stroker with a procharger F1R, daily driver. What do you guys think is better for this application, FAST, GEN 7, or BIG STUFF 3, I would really like to keep all the factory gauges and stuff working as well.

Last edited by 2toneblown; 10-20-2004 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Not too sure if any of those are compatable with factory gauges. Those systems are typically run on off-road combinations and employ aftermarket gauges. Of the three, Big Stuff 3 outshines the other two IMO. I have seen used first handby the developer (John Meaney) and it is impressive. Also uses all GM factory sensors.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one thing i noticed what Kurt from W2W said the fast system only uses 5amps to drive the coils while BS3 uses 8amps or something like that.,
Old 10-20-2004, 07:39 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to keep factory gauges, I recommend running the BigStuff. We are currently working on a plugin harness that will keep all factory gauges intact and will also keep everything else intact such as ABS, TCS etc. This will require you to keep the stock PCM though as there is no easy way to work around that and keep the speedo working.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:16 PM
WARNING! Bad Seller Alert

Whats does BigStuff sell for?
Old 10-20-2004, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tim @ EADPerformance
If you want to keep factory gauges, I recommend running the BigStuff. We are currently working on a plugin harness that will keep all factory gauges intact and will also keep everything else intact such as ABS, TCS etc. This will require you to keep the stock PCM though as there is no easy way to work around that and keep the speedo working.
If you have a M6 car speedo will still work! Gen7 is what I have and I know you can keep the stock gauges! ABS and TC are a in the BCM but take so info from the PCM! The only way to remove PCM,guages,wires is by losing ABS and TC and going to Autometer guages!

All the systems are made for street use not off road where it is all or nothing! they all need the stock PCM, unless you remove and do so crazy rewiring the ABS, TC, ect...

I am having "Sparky" from Wires & Pliers. I would say he is the best in the BIS!
NOT cheap but very good!

http://www.wiresandpliers.com/
Old 10-21-2004, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What do I need (part numbers) to get Fast/BS3 working on the car and keeping the stock PCM for gauges and emissions? I have yet to see anybody come out with a how-to straight answer for this.

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2004, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know why everyone thinks you can't keep the stock gauges! Accel said "90% plug and play, 6 or so wires taped" You get all of that! As far as emissions no idea as for as tune?

Accel also said "you have to keep the gauges, pcm if you want to keep ABS" Now if it is a (drag car) and no abs and you like Autometer gauges! You can do allot of custom wiring to keep items that the BCM sees in the form of signals from the PCM!

You guys are looking at it the wrong way it is easyer to add it to a street car and keep stock parts, than try to remove parts like a drag race car!
Old 10-21-2004, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Big Stuff 3 does not employ the stock PCM at all. Unless you need it to run other functions on the car. BS3 will also operate a 4L60E and 4L80E transmission as an option.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know that all of these systems will run the stock gauges and everything else becuase they are basically a "piggy back" systems. I was just askin if anyone has exprience with any of these and how hard it was to make them work your gauges and stuff.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Big Stuff 3 is not a "piggy back" system.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

So the BS3 will alow you to keep the abs? If not then I would say the BS3 isn't as good as it isn't as adaptable to different peoples needs! Race only! I am happy with the "piggyback" setups. As I understand it mine will be wired to the car with all the Accell wires and remove the stock wires, then cut the stock wires of the pcm and wire them into the Accel wires near the firewall!
Old 10-21-2004, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wasnt Accel coming up with something that would be a true plug-n-play add on for the ls1? I thought it was a harness that would plug in between stock wiring and PCM eliminating the need for splicing.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:19 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Here is what I know (and I have a FAST):

ACCEL Gen7:
-Standalone
-Harness only needs one connector changed?

FAST:
-Standalone, available as bank/bank or sequential
-Comes with harness that requires cutting off all the connectors and wiring in LS1 connectors
-Requires wiring in edist and crank signal box. requires making the wiring harness for the edist

BS3:
-I have never used one or seen one, but the connectors and wires are all pre-done and don't need to be modified
-Has an upgrade to control 4L60E I hear
-electronic distributor box and crank box are not needed, Meany uses a different board setup and eliminated those (means less wires)
-probably the quickest to install of the three

STANDALONES (FAST):
-On a 98 the oil pressure should work with minimal work
-Odometer is not working
-Speedo does not work, i have t400, i need the gm parts to add a reluctor wheel to trans
-Amp gauge could work with modication
-Not sure about coolant temp, mine is not working
-Had to custom wire the alternator on my 98
-Had to rig up a ground for the starter since it had been grounded thru the engine control harness
-probably the longest to install of the three
-has great screens in the program, very nice and very nicely laid out

Piggyback:
-Well you can wire in a system as a piggyback, MMouse has that. Just takes time and it gets tight
-Nobody makes a piggyback harness yet for the Gen7, BS3, or FAST
Old 10-21-2004, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to say but that doesn't make the FAST sound to good! But I am sure I will have a few problems with my Gen7!

As far as no one having a piggyback! Yes and no! Mike Brown said he does but it is custom made per car and car needs! Not a production or orderable part!
Old 10-21-2004, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh an I think we would all like to know how Mmouse is doing with the GEN7. Any problems with gauges or anything! I know he had spark problems! From the people I talked to the truck coils, good wires,and plugs with the dist. box is more than a good idea?

I have 3 control boxes with my Accel! the black DFI box, coil pack control box(black smaller), and the wide band box! Is this what most people have or is mine a older unit?
Old 10-21-2004, 02:11 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

W2W I believe has done 1 02 F-Car with a piggyback BSIII which is operating all stock gauges/abs etc.I know at least 3 people working on a harness for this type setup.Next yr will bring thiese systems to the masses as far as PNP.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:16 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Most folks wire up stuff piggyback style.

A piggyback HARNESS is a different deal, nobody has one yet, Mac @ Fasttrack did them for the LT1 FAST.

Best off doing a spliced in piggyback a piggyback harness might be like $700 and might be vaporware.

MMouse had TTi splice in all his stuff.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:02 PM
9 Second Club

Bs3 Imo
Old 10-22-2004, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

When I hear "piggyback", it means to me that the new ECU relies on the factory PCM to operate. But I guess it can mean running them tandem also

Quick Reply: FAST, GEN 7, or BIGSTUFF3?