Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FAST, GEN 7, or BIGSTUFF3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 08:46 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lingenfelter and Henniger have both wired in a piggy back BSIII onto LS1's
I got the info right from the horsed mouth,There is no true PNP but people are working on them as we speak.

Next yr should be interesting with all this new technology for the LSx based engines.
Heads,blocks,pnp fuel injection etc.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:40 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Joel, we are saying the same thing... Let's define this stuff again:

Piggybacked Setup
-FAST/BS3/Gen7 is used in concert with stock pcm and engine control harness
-Gauge wiring for the most part is not touched since the factory harness was left in place

Custom Harness
-Currently vaporware for the LS1, this would allow a person to swap out their factory harness and just install the new harness. This would require minimal splicing of new wires.
-Would still use the factory pcm but not the factory wiring harness
-I know of a place that has been working on a custom harness but it's been a laborious process.

Standalone:
-Only use the FAST/BS3/Gen7, removing the factory pcm and engine control harness
-Requires the greatest amount of custom work for the gauges since most of them will not work now
-Most elegant solution, less wiring under the cowl and the factory pcm is gone

--------
I am sure that a number of folks have wired in piggybacked solutions it's the easiest way to go if you don't mind the clutter.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tim @ EADPerformance
If you want to keep factory gauges, I recommend running the BigStuff. We are currently working on a plugin harness that will keep all factory gauges intact and will also keep everything else intact such as ABS, TCS etc. This will require you to keep the stock PCM though as there is no easy way to work around that and keep the speedo working.
Tim, if you complete the harness, Id like to work something out for one.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Here is what I know (and I have a FAST):

ACCEL Gen7:
-Standalone
-Harness only needs one connector changed?

FAST:
-Standalone, available as bank/bank or sequential
-Comes with harness that requires cutting off all the connectors and wiring in LS1 connectors
-Requires wiring in edist and crank signal box. requires making the wiring harness for the edist

BS3:
-I have never used one or seen one, but the connectors and wires are all pre-done and don't need to be modified
-Has an upgrade to control 4L60E I hear
-electronic distributor box and crank box are not needed, Meany uses a different board setup and eliminated those (means less wires)
-probably the quickest to install of the three

STANDALONES (FAST):
-On a 98 the oil pressure should work with minimal work
-Odometer is not working
-Speedo does not work, i have t400, i need the gm parts to add a reluctor wheel to trans
-Amp gauge could work with modication
-Not sure about coolant temp, mine is not working
-Had to custom wire the alternator on my 98
-Had to rig up a ground for the starter since it had been grounded thru the engine control harness
-probably the longest to install of the three
-has great screens in the program, very nice and very nicely laid out

Piggyback:
-Well you can wire in a system as a piggyback, MMouse has that. Just takes time and it gets tight
-Nobody makes a piggyback harness yet for the Gen7, BS3, or FAST
Mac @ Fasttrack told me personally that he has made LS1 harnesses to run factory gauges with LS1s /that have Gen 7.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:37 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking around, between new tuning software, like HP vs. Edit, and now in to the new ECM Drive units, BS3, Gen7, FAST etc...

To me, it looks like the BS3 has the most functionality, dual WBs, can control seperate cylinders for spark and fuel, built in datalogging capability, ans several other features in the Gen3 BS3. Plus at only $1800 thats a frickin deal. I would like to see some screenshots of the software in use, tables exploited etc. Also, can the dual WBs be setup for a forced AFR for WOT Tuning, set at say 10.8:1 AFR WOT, 13.6:1 AFR PT and 14.5:1 for Idle? or even just forced for WOT?
Piggyback, using the new ECM with the stock PCM, where as the in the case of BS3 the Stock PCM ONLY resides there to control Guages and the BS3 does EVERYTHING else seems doable, at least until there is some kind of harness to run the guages. Which brings me to the question, why are so many ppl against going with aftermarket guages? More wiring, or clutter? Stock guages arent that accurate in the first place, look at the temp guage, normally off by 30* either way and you never know if one minute is low, or high. Tach off around 50-150rpms....why not ditch the guages and go all aftermarket, having more reliable information. Or is it just a "tock appearing 1000rwhp monster we are all after (I think at the level most use these systems you already lost the stealth approach!)?
Thats just my take on this topic, but I would love some screenshots of the BS3 from anyone using it, nothing on their site available.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After market guages are not that easy! Tach is but speedo (on anything but M6) fuel level,ect...

I am having a hard time with the oil press, gauge as it is! there is nothing more I would like but to remove all that and go aftermarket but ABS is a keeper for me!
Old 10-23-2004, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

my current level (no spark issues since removing moroso wires) is stock wires, stock 98 coils.

tti cut back everything out of the stock harness that dfi replaced. this left all but the tach working as i run two coolant temp sensors. i have attempted to 'share' the crank signal back to the stock computer but get a misfire... once i get my hp needs out of the way i am confident that accel and me can get it worked out.

Quick Reply: FAST, GEN 7, or BIGSTUFF3?